Home General Discussion

Street Fighter 4

Replies

• leilei
  • tokidokizenzen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tokidokizenzen polycounter lvl 17
    Damn slick. I love how they retained the character style. Only thing I'm dubious of is the background. I absolutely love the backgrounds in all the previous SF games. I don't like the background in this. It has the same saturation as Ryu so it blends too much with him. He doesn't stand out from it.
  • Motz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz polycounter lvl 12
    Gee exactly what I said, they updated the fighting all stars engine. Capcom needs to get it through they're thick assed armor plating made of 'ignorance and ghey', that streetfighter was not meant to be 3D.

For the love of Shakira, we have so many talented 2d animation studios, doubly so in japan. Why in gods name could they not have just teamed up with one and made something beautiful. Utterly disappointing. Ryu has a chubby, and is apparently a hobbit.

Capcom is playing on the fact that 75% of todays gamers haven't played Third Strike and don't remember anything to compare it to. It's easy, take great formula, just add more to it. More characters/background, HD rez, and more move choices, and you'll have a sleeper hit. This can rot in the bargain bin.

Toki, I picked up the same impression as per, no distinct style. Looks like an EX model with added shaders.
  • ThatDon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatDon polycounter lvl 11
    I'm with per, that ryu model looks like liquid ass from the waist up.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    its all OMG normal maps splooged onto his chest.

not impressed
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    beh. I think it looks good but It's nothing like I've been wishing for.

I just want it in hand drawn HD with crazy amounts of frames.. so it's smooth as butter or at least a cartoon.

at least they are keeping the 2d gameplay.
  • tokidokizenzen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tokidokizenzen polycounter lvl 17
    I really don't think the character looks too bad, could have been a lot worse. I'm with bounchfx, they should have stuck to 2d. They have a huge extremely loyal 2d fan base, going 3d is just stupid.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    trouser snake!!
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    [ QUOTE ]
    going 3d is just stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, good luck making and selling a next-gen 2d game on a next-gen platform within a deadline
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    SUCKS!
    Completely disappointed with the direction and the choice to take the game to 3D. Every 3D SF game I've played, I have not enjoyed a single bit. I'll be sticking to Third Strike it seems.
    As for the model, feet/hands/face looks cool. What is going on in his pants!

-caseyjones
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyboy_garth polycounter lvl 9
    I agree, totally scared that they're going 3d with SF, although not surprised after seeing their trailer a few months ago. As others have said - the Ryu character model does look a little unimpressive - where's the awesome sauce?
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyboy_garth polycounter lvl 9
    [ QUOTE ]
    What is going on in his pants!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha ha! Yeah, weapons in SF? Who knew??
  • seantree
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    That shit is fugly.
  • seantree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seantree polycounter lvl 18
    the hurricane kick pic is awful. I hope it looks better in motion. Those pics came from some random blog on the web where they say parries are gone and some new system "saving" or "revenge" is in place. Not sure what to believe I guess we wait for the EGM to hit shelves and see what's up since they have played it. Then again EGM was never my go to source for fighting game info. In the past the only mag I trusted with fighter info was gamefan. Now I just hit SRK.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Haha! That just isn't right at all.
  • SubPablo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SubPablo polycounter lvl 17
    ugh, terrible. -what gives, Capcom?
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    2009 release date, hello?
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    there are 2 sounds that every game (when applicable) must accomplish in order to be awesome: : the hadouken sound, and the shotgun pump-action sound. that's it. if you get those sounds right - your game kicks ass.

seriously tho, i've seen worst looking games that played great. its always the gameplay, not the graphics. although, i must admit, this looks pretty weak. too "creamy". i want the sf2 sharpness.

for the record, i dont think any of the post sf2 games accomplished the coolness of the classic hadouken sound.

ha-douuu-ken!
  • Motz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz polycounter lvl 12
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    going 3d is just stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, good luck making and selling a next-gen 2d game on a next-gen platform within a deadline

[/ QUOTE ]

cause they haven't had near a decade to work on it. where are you pulling your deadline from? They develop and publish solo. they can do whatever they want. From someone who has leilei as they're forum av I'm really blown away at your remark.

Drawing something and scanning it frame by frame is still faster than 3d modeling last time i checked. They could have even used vector tweening tricks to reduce the animation frames needed for fluid motion. 2D defines SF, and also it's profitable titles. It's ridiculous to change it, when you have an easy upgrade route, HD 2D. I wouldn't care about 3d backgrounds either, but this will not sell or be received very well. In addition there are so many thigns you can do in 2D to add character that you simply can not accomplish with 3D without major major efforts.

Those new shots look like some homegrown blender based app, ie ass. Total ugly EX-Mistakes round 3 or 4 ass.
  • seantree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with shotgun on the gameplay thing. I'll be playin it regardless of what it looks like upon release. Hoping it looks better in motion though.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Looks fine to me considering the main focus is beating people to the ground, not ogling the models up close.

That being said, I really do want to see a hot 2d game. Hell, they can use fairly detailed 3d models to do the entire animation sprites and then touch them up later to save on some time. I think 2d has a lot of potential, and could achieve stylistic heights that 3d games won't be able to for years to come. But oh well. *shrug*
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    pretty dissapointing that the teaser thing wasnt representative of the game style. that would kick ass. Get the cinematics team to make the game!
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i think its going to be more about the animation. cant really draw any conclusions from these shots other then they are keeping the original sf silhouettes and palette perfectly in tact. i can see this as a stylization choice, i would much rather do a redesign, but hey thats me. Animation will make or break it. if its super fluent like 3, and they do some really nice cloth stuff i think it will work. the original sf2 sprites were pretty horrible, but the game was awesome. in a way a hate stills because once something is moving it is either a thousand times better or a thousand times worse.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    Awww... I was hoping for the Okami art style.

Those extra shots of Ken and Ryu fighting look pretty bad. But I do dig the very non-anime look, the way they look like the original concepts from back in the day.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    2009 release guys, there's still time, art direction can change, etc.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Also keep in mind the absolutely dreadful HALO 3 Master Chief shot that came out.
  • Motz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz polycounter lvl 12
    Per128:
    A 2D/concept/traditional artist can generally draw a 800x800 sprite faster than you could model and texture, rig, and animate a full character with diffuse, spec, normal etc. Nor would they have to fuss with as many tools to do the job, nor would they have to over complicate the process of getting the model in-game and rigged with animated collision boxes, and special bones for holding items, or dynamic inverse kinematics for throws/grabs etc. You wouldn't even have to scan it if it was drawn with a tablet, so no I'm not high. Most of the time they draw a start pose, and draw over the original, so at least 35% of the time your not even drawing a complete frame.

Pickup a darkstalkers game or look for animated sprite rips and tell me if the almost Disney like squat and stretch style animation and random transformations into other creatures are easily doable with a typical bone setup? You would spend too much time and effort and money in making an engine that was capable of it, when 2D would be both faster and less expensive. I've seen an engine that would be capable of this, but there are constraints, mainly the two morphing target meshes have to be identical in vert count. I think it's from what-if productions if my memory serves. But it would be far more complicated then drawing it. SF3 was popular because of the fluidity of the animations and 3D is as puppet like as you can get. Even with mocap you still limit yourself to normal human motion.. booooring. You could add to it, but again increasing the time and effort.

Easy to work with is opinion and your opinions always seem incredibly close minded. The versatility debate is moot, you can draw things you cant model, and vice versa. SF has never been successful in 3D, not in 3 EX attempts or 1 failed Capcom Fighting Allstars attempt. People still buy them, but the ones being played in the majority of tournaments are still 2d. The HD remix of SF2 will outsell this, guaranteed. They had a botched project and a 3D engine left over they are slapping the SF name on. The SF branding and IP, the last I read about it, was transfered to the US Capcom studios. Hence this crap. Could be wrong but, Ill search for the article.
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    Per is master of the parry >: )
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    If only there were some kind of character who's entire move set was based on running and charging...then you'd be all set smile.gif

Sub par graphics aside, I'm really looking forward to the game. I don't think I ever really played the games because of their graphics anyhow...As long as the actual fighting isn't too fucked up, I'll still enjoy it.
  • Tulkamir
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    i like the environment work, reminds me of the stuff from the naruto game
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    Per : just let me finish my x360 custom arcade stick and I'll wipe your ass on sf3 laugh.gif
  • seantree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should peep SRK for sticks. some nice customs jobs on there.
    genral tech and selling forums
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/forumdisplay.php?f=177
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/forumdisplay.php?f=226
    Direct link to PC1X1 custom stick thread.
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=135551

BTW, the EX games are fun. My friend and I played a ton of each revision. We are killin some KOFXI now though. good stuff.
  • Motz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz polycounter lvl 12
    [ QUOTE ]
    Motz, I was going to adress your concerns about the technical restrictions on moving from 2d to 3d and the lack of logic inherent in comparing 1 single frame of 2D with a fully modeled, textured, rigged, animated, collision proxied, IK enabled 3D character, plus your misinformed rant about Capcom, but then there was this:

[ QUOTE ]
    Easy to work with is opinion and your opinions always seem incredibly close minded

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only does saying something like that automatically reveal you as an asshole, but you're doing it anonymously, which makes you an little scared pussy as well, and you like to throw your opinions around on these forums without once, afaik, showing any work of your own and demonstrating that you're more than some little pre-teen troll that likes to talk big. For that, I hope you'll forgive me for chalking you down as someone that can't be taken seriously. Oh, that and also launching into personal attacks in a thread about SF4. Way to go there.

[/ QUOTE ]

3D is not more versatile in representing the fluidity and style demonstrated in their most popular gaming franchise, and the history of failure associated with 3D capcom fighting games says it all. You really can not argue that without showing me an example. And you didn't. You simply came in bashing without any actual valid debate or argument. I'll be the first to tell you I was incorrect, if you actually show me something to support your claim. I agree 3D is more versatile in certain genres, but not a fighting game known for being incredibly popular/fluid in a 2D format, and incredibly mocked/bland in a 3D format. Even with dynamic clothing, it will still not move, feel, excite, or sell the same. Show me a valid argument, before spouting garbage. The only one I can see even coming close is ICO or SoTC, but they wont go that route.

If you actually read your own post you got personal before I ever did, implying that I did drugs or the likes. I didn't attack anyones opinion besides Capcom. I don't call people pussys, assholes or trolls. I think I may have hit a sensitive nerve with you, but in litterally every post I make there you are rushing in and bashing other people without any backup. Since I'm probably at least decade older than you I really don't feel I have to tell anyone who I am or post art here, and holding the "im a better artist than you so I'm right" card over my head is sincerely immature. I'm employed, happily. Go ahead and smile about how cool you are and have fun. Doesn't make the slightest difference to me.
  • Motz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz polycounter lvl 12
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Doesn't make the slightest difference to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
    lol, then why don't you stfu already?

[/ QUOTE ]

Waiting for some backup of your argument? Believe it or not, I do believe in the forum for use of the exchanging of ideas. Come on, You're the Uber Artist here, tell me how it could be done if you have a point to prove. I don't care about your attitude but any education on the topic subject is more than welcome.
  • FensterMayhew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YOU GUYS ARE BEING IMPERVIOUS just stop arguing already!

i have been working expondrious hours in the industry for YEARS and you are both acting extremely child like i read these forums all the time for leilei's (formerly known as cheapalert's (I miss your gargoyles)) art and I am sick of seeing this tirade of minds!

per! Youre being a bully and hiding behind all your frivilous internet buddies? e-p****s big enough? (LOL) you need to sporadically grow up and show some respect for those who are older than you! or have you forgotten how to treatise when you know you're being an ***hole (excuse my french)

Motz! I donno how old you are but 3d is the future and you can't stop it. yes it is sad to see these 2d games go, but it is a lot of work to draw the 2d sprites all the time! i too will miss the games of Suzuki San and Kibuyashi San and their work on the final fantasy series, their beautiful 54x54 sprites populating my most ever cherished wishworlds (KAWAAIII lol). BUT THESE TIMES ARE OVER and using your age is not gonna work on here, It's a gerrymandering wasteland out here and hgave you forgottin how to act civil? oh i guess youll be the fall of society once bush nukes our whole planet and we try to recipricate humanity.

i guess it was only time before I had to bring out the big guns, sorry to do this guys but you need to be taught a lesson
    305.jpg

PPS:ill always be around to show haggling retards like you in your place. FM OUT
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    so.. uh... anyone like ryu?

I mean.. ken. yeah. ken.

Ken.jpg

Edit: updated image to make it more.. appropriate?
  • Motz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz polycounter lvl 12
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    lol, then why don't you stfu already?

[/ QUOTE ]

Translation, if you didn't get it: this is a SF4 thread, not your personal vendetta thread. Take it somewhere else, because nobody is interested in hate-rants from an anonymous internet user who makes bold claims. The saying "are you high?" is a common non-aggressive comic way of saying "I don't agree". Ergo, you overreacted, So, take it somewhere else please. Nobody is going to bother with a comeback or even to explain to you why your earlier statements are retarded because you are have nothing to show for yourself, not even a name. Go tell pixar to change to 2d or something. Sigh.

[/ QUOTE ]

You think this is a personal vendetta and you think I'm overreacting? I said one tiny thing about you, the rest was about the damned game, which I've mentioned in every post but this one. You come out guns blazing and cussing at me and throwing your popularity around, and I'm the retard? You also wont provide this proof to an argument, because I wont give you my name, I don't even get that one? Nothing to show for myself? My life's accomplishments or art, or whatever you are talking about, have nothing to do with anything like I said before.

I'm not telling them to stop trying, I'm voicing disappointment like several other people here, albeit a bit more verbose since it's a tad personal being a fan. You must be reading into something I'm not meaning or I'm typing something incorrectly, because I love the series, just can't support this incarnation when there is a blazingly obvious better more majority wanted choice.

I'm not fighting you per, I'm calling you out on your opinion, and you just harass me more with every post. If you don't really have anything to talk back and forth about just cut out the childish name calling and the "kkthx stfu bbq lol" garbage.

And what bold claims are you talking about? Send me a PM or something man, this is really bugging me, I sincerely don't get where you are coming from, and you are obviously mistaking something. "Are you high" is derogatory, regardless of the intent, which was obviously not "jokingly" given your continued aggressive posts. I'm not posting anymore about you, it just really baffles me that you would rather cuss than just detail your side of the debate. Which I'm highly interested in, given that you are an accomplished artist. If it will make you feel better you can try to take it out on me when the game releases, if there is multi. Have a good weekend man.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saging shity thread
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Classic PC bullshit...SF4!!!!!111
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    PPS:ill always be around to show haggling retards like you in your place. FM OUT

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice first post you got there, mate. Uh... welcome to Polycount and stuff.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    Per : yeah I went around searching fors some aswell and they told me the DOA arcade stick was the only one available so far, so i bought a wired 360 controller and found a vibra stick arcade for Xbox1 on ebay, just switched the components (and moved some button positions aswell).
    I still need to find a way to nicely solder the d-pad points which are goddamn fucking tiny, and, well if I can avoid buying another 360 controller, that'll make a damn cheap and cool arcade stick tongue.gif.

oh, and of course, Ken owns Ryu badly, anytime.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Per is my dad, and just like his dad, he is so muscular you can not imagine.

The two leaked screens are only confirming my fear that this game won't play any near as well as SF3. I guess until we see this thing in motion, it'll be too hard to know how well it will actually play.
    Removing the parry... *sigh*

-caseyjones
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/145609.html?playlist=popular

awesome.. waiting for this with great anticipation.

3d game with 2D fighting mechanic. awesome.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Theres an awful lot of camera movement there for 2d gameplay...
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    Theres an awful lot of camera movement there for 2d gameplay...

[/ QUOTE ]

they probably just move the camera about to get some cool shots.
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    note, I think i read somewhere that these ingame shots are just placed-in models and not actual shots from gameplay.
    this game is barely finished...
  • seantree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3165170
    first footage is out. it seems to be gettin slammed so I haven't seen it yet dammit!
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    if you cant get it to work try this link

http://files.filefront.com/Street+Fighter+IV+1up+Show+Exclusive+WM/;9341072;/fileinfo.html

looks pretty cool to me.. 60fps of fast street fighter action.. not slow motion tekken turtle fighting.. i think i will like it.