Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Model Viewer (Programming Pimp)

Replies

• Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Rollin: hmmm, does this happen with any of the examples?

Ruz: thought I had mirrored uv's supported. possible for you to send me a copy of model and normal map?
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    yes.. every model
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Rollin: Hrm... All I can make out is that somehow it seems all the values are either being rounded up or down to integer values for the UV coordinates. I'm not certain as I cannot reproduce the results even with forcing the uv values.

Ruz: And yes it turns out I don't have mirrored uv's supported. I had it similar to vailias's route of forcing the user to have the mirrored parts outside the 0-1 range of the uv coordinates. I have been looking into this over and over and it seems the only way to get around this is to calculate the tangents and binormals manually, which doesn't appeal too much to me.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    ok, new version working. awesome!
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Update: have mirrored normals working. will have a release uploaded soon. Just touching up the readme.

New Version
    - Mirrored normal maps working properly
    - Added DirectX(.x) mesh support. Only problem is they load facing the wrong way.

Exe Update

Full update with examples
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Updated in my lack of sleep. Added a nicer about dialog and fixed directx meshes so they load properly.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    hmm I still think there is something wrong with the normal map display. I will try and post some comparative images soon
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    re-uploaded. seems I missed a culling bug so all obj's were inside out.

Also of note: within the edit menu is the option to rebuild the models normals in case the normals saved out are somewhat broken.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Ruz: still waiting on those comparision images :P

Also have shadows implemented. not too happy with the results. Going to try shadow volumes and see how that goes.

shadows.jpg
  • Chai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chai polycounter lvl 17
    Awesome work Keg, the interface ease and simplicity is something I rarely see.

I can't wait for this to support texture filtering, AA and stuff smile.gif

Best of luck !
  • zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    Can self-shadowing be turned on/off?
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Zenarion: I am using shadow mapping technique so self shadowing is always on.

I almost have shadows ready to roll. Want to add options for anti aliasing and texture filtering then I will release a new version.

Shadows won't be 100% where I want them, but they'll suffice for the moment. I want to get a new release out and try to get back into working on this more.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah sorry keg,been geting in to my freelance work, tight deadline and all that.
    anyway it great you have got the shadows working, nice one
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    New Version
    - Shadow Maps are implemented with the option of 256, 512, 1024, 2048 for the texture sizes.
    - Ground plane is added with the ability to set the tiling amount of the ground plane.
    - Options for Anti Aliasing.

Of note: Shadow maps are fine for 2.0, but for normal maps require a card above the pixel shader level 2.0b. (that's geforce fx series or ati x700 and above). Going to 2.0 would have meant dropping ambient maps or another option. I know there's a way to do this with just 2.0 so I am looking into it.

Exe Update

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    if there are problems .. my pc will find them wink.gif

shadow_err.jpg
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Rollin: I almost want to ban you from even using my viewer :P I swear your computer hates me for some unknown reason.

I am in the process of porting over to xna since managed directx is now no longer supported. Plus I want to have the option of 64-bit interoperability. Hopefully porting to xna will fix your problems, but I have some doubts as such a simple thing rarely ever works like it should.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Crap, big bug with normal maps. Uploaded a new version which resolves that issue.

About half way (maybe) in porting over to xna. Once the current version is working in xna, soft shadows will be added for version 1.0, along with background image support.

Future versions will include hdr, bloom, dof. then it'll be onto the fun stuff like custom shader support and eventually shader authoring (probably a version 2.0 feature).

Exe Update

• dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    Keep kicking ass kegger. I haven't had a chance to play with this in a long little while. I'll give it whirl when i get back from cgy.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had the same issues as rollin with the uv-tiling, but I'll give these new versions a go after newyears to see if it's fixed. And to see if I'll have the same issues with the new build, ofcourse.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    HA!! there read: "...THE SAME ISSUES..." .. :P i´m not the only loser here laugh.gif
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What's more, I just tried the latest version on my parents' computer (holidays!), and I get the same issue. Did you just scrawl my name unsteadily in your murder-book, right next to Rollins? Could it have something to do with the language of my windows? That's the only link I can think of. Well, that and myself, but I'm a genius, so that's unlikely to be the issue.
  • xysdf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xysdf polycounter lvl 11
    1 dude more for your book (uv-tiling buuug)
    geforce 7600gs;newest nvidia drivers;latest directx;winxp pro german;your newest version
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    is there someone with a german-windows who does NOT has this uv-tiling bug?
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    well with the german windows I have an idea what the error might be, probably something to with how things are read in.

curious to see if a directx file will work for you guys in the meant time.

http://craig.young.81.googlepages.com/tiger.zip
  • xysdf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xysdf polycounter lvl 11
    the *.x file worked charmingly smile.gif
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    yep, it's something to do with reading in the obj files then.

Also this version now supports very large polycounts. had one model at 120,000 working. I plan on removing the triangle/vertex count as they seem off due to how directx is handling the mesh.

Update: updated the exe's please let me know if this latest update fixes the problem.

Exe Update

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    i will test it later again and post if i´v done something stupid wrong bc i just wake up, but:

error still there

and if i load the x file it says :
    "property value is not valid"
    Detail: "Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
    Parameter name: index"

latest version of yours
  • xysdf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xysdf polycounter lvl 11
    the new version gives me the error rollin described on the .x file; & the uv tiling bug still remains on .obj files
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Mostly ported over to XNA now. although a few bugs still exist like multiple lighting not working just right yet.

While trying to get glow textures to work I was able to create "next gen" bloom effects smile.gif

As of right now directx model files have been canned due to the lack of xna's helpfulness for dynamically loading models. I do want to support both directx and fbx files, but I don't know if xna will be nice enough to allow this.

nextgenbloom.jpg

By the end of the year I want to hopefully get bloom, soft shadows working and also fix multiple lights since that is borked at the moment too.