Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Model Viewer (Programming Pimp)

Replies

• nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nkoste polycounter lvl 18
    I get the exact same! I'm running the latest directx drivers too. Could it have anything to do with hardware specs? I'm running with a geforce4 TI4600.
  • fantasymaster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fantasymaster polycounter lvl 12
    My System:
    GeForce FX 5700 Driver Version: 8.4.2.1
    DirectX is the newest.
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    Hre the program start but if i want to load an obj (even the one provided as sample), the program crash.

"System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format."

System

Core 2 Quad
    Windows XP
    Gf8800gts
    Everything up to date.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    The imported obj in now invisible fro soem reason. either its gone really huge in the viewport or its just gone invisible for some reason
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    First off, the program requires pixel shader 2.0 support at the moment. I will look into 1.3 support.

FantasyMaster: what is the error you receive?

BeatKitano: I assume you have the august directx update?

Ruz: does one of the example obj's load?

Feel free to pm me on this board or to email me at craig.young.81 at gmail dot com about errors
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    ok, There is something weird going on with the object import. It sudenly appeared in the centre of the viewport without me touching any buttons, but then it disappeared again:)
    Having said that, whilst I had it working and applied all my textures, it looked a lot better, since you fixed that vertex shading issue.Like the light intensity too. much better.
    Navigation is still a bit painful. pan with the middle mouse button is very unresponsive for some reason.
    I will try it again with a different object( on of your examples)

EDIT . nahh having the same problem. is it some camera clipping problem Possibly?
    Minimize causes 'unhandle exception'

Looking forward to the fixed version because I am starting to like this program. keep it up man

• fantasymaster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I recieve a standard windows error. "Modelviewer has a problem and must be closed." The system wants to contact microsoft. "send ... dont send"

Pixel shader must be the reason, I think. Dont worry, I'l try the Program on a newer system wink.gif
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Ruz: Yea I need to fix the minimizing bug. Is it possible to email me (craig.young.81 at gmail.com) the obj that is giving you a problem? Also what program are you exporting the obj from?

Fantasymaster: Should work with a 5700 as that is pixel shader 2. Do you have the august directx update installed?
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Also of note, next update will include a fix for normal maps and parallax maps which includes the same lighting fix that per pixel lighting has. Forgot the same bug applied to both.
  • fantasymaster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, finaly it works.
    The Viewer is pretty cool, but I hope there is some way to display Alpha channel. And how do you moving the Light?

And is it possible for normalmap to affect the schading of the geometry? Like in Maya High Quality Rendering.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    K, been away for the weekend. got back an hour ago. have spent the whole weekend thinking about the problem with graphics disappearing. This is due to the rendering device being lost, and as of right now I am completely lost on how to resolve this.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    New version uploaded. Fixed/Added in this version:
    - Minimizing bug
    - Lighting issue with normal maps and parallax mapping
    - Wireframe mode added
    - Re-sizable interface
    - Reference mode for non pixel shader 2+ cards (horrifically slow)

Exe update only

Program plus Examples

Next big goals are emissive textures and hdr lighting support. From there it will probably be smaller items like background images, ground planes and such.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    this happens when i open arshs diablo and zooming in

(last version, no crash, dx-installed)

mv_bug.jpg
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Tested it today on Intel Core2Duo/Geforce 8800 GTX and a Macbook Pro Core2Duo/ATI X1600...It runs perfectly on both. And I'm still in love with the texture refresh and how nimble the app is. Almost ready for the prime time keg!

I'm still asking for xml scene files, with all the textures and models loaded. Is that what "Load settings" is going to be? And checkboxes for all the toggles please.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Ive updated direct x but the program still wont run. Tried downloading multiple times and installing etc, just crashes every time. I will try it at home on my pc there some time.
  • fantasymaster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Program runns great on Geforce 7700 Go.
    But...

- Alpha in Specular channel sucks. Maybe you can try to arrange a separate channel for Alpha maps.
    - Can not arrange the light!!! The light position is unchangeble.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Rollin: odd, does the parallax wall obj do the same thing?

Snowfly: Thanks. The Load settings option is meant for loading saved settings, it's just not implemented yet and is a place holder to remind myself to do that. For the checkboxes that will probably take more work as it means coding custom parts for the property section which I do want to do anyways.

Ged: what kind of error message are you getting?

fantasymaster: hold ctrl and left click to rotate the light. What about the alpha in the spec sucks? it is meant for specular strength control. Alpha transparency is in diffuse and used if there is an alpha. It does not work the best, but it is there.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    jep, the same.. only that the mesh is a plane which goes faaaaaaar in the horizon
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    interesting seeing how the parallax works, is that how it works in all engines, or something you thought of?
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    New version uploaded.
    - Save/Load settings implemented. simple comma seperate value setup.
    - Ground plain available (not fully working just yet)
    - Invert Camera control option
    - Refreshing textures is removed from each texture and is now global and will check all textures upon regaining focus.

Just the executable

Executable plus examples

Not too many things I admit really added. Haven't looked into the bug reports. Haven't been too well the last month honestly. Between not being able to find work and some personal issues I have been fairly depressed and just not interested in doing much of anything. Things are getting slightly better, that or I'm just slowly pushing through and getting work done. Hopefully next update will include emmissive textures and shadows along side other tweaks which should include gui options being saved along side the model, texture, camera and lighting info.

Edit: uploaded the wrong exe. new version uploaded.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    The main drawback I see is that the normals/tangents don't get recalculated. It results in quite a few shading errors. Errors that are present in your viewer are not present in the 3dsmax viewport, or Xnormal.
    Other than that, I can't wait for further additions smile.gif
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah keep it up man, you're rockin it. Thanks for the new updates. Was also wondering if you could make the camera clipping adjustable for closer inspection of meshes, or just change the default to allow for more up close viewing.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Vassago: When are the normals/tangents not being recalculated?

Gwot: I fixed that, the clipping was a bug of sorts (wrong value placed). The near clipping plane seems can only be placed so close to the camera before it causes rendering issues.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got me!
    I just know that my model doesn't look proper when viewed in your viewer, so it must be doing something wonky with the normals. I'll post pics when I get home tonight.
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    Nice updatedness.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doh. Sorry, forgot all about this. Here are the pics:

booboo.gif

Your viewer is producing artifacts along many of surfaces, where it's not visible in either other app. In particular along the front, closest to the lightsource, as well as on the thin curve supports on the back.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Hmmm might be due to the normals as I don't re-calculate them if the model already has normals. Might have to make it re-calculate automatically.

Are you using smoothing groups from max? Maybe try without normals exported to the obj?

Also I have implemented a screenshot option, and am working on emissive texture support right now.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Glow working. Screenshot taken with the newly added screenshot option. Still a few minor items to tweak and a big bug with resizing causing issues with the emissive textures then a new release.

testglow.jpg
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    New version available:
    - Emissive Texture support added.
    - Ability to take a screenshot of the viewport (located under the File menu)

Exe Update

Full version with samples

As always, any and all feedback is greatly appreciated. Suggestions for future features are welcome as are interface suggestions. I want to make this a tool people can use on a daily basis.

snowfly: I am working on getting the checkboxes there. Right now I can enable them, but it looks poor as it is applied to all items in the tree list. I am working on re-writing the treelist code to allow certain objects to have checkboxes next to them.

Edit: mouse wheel zooms in/out on the model. holding ctrl with the mouse wheel adjusts the light intensity.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Why thank you Keg...
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    New version forth coming either tonight or tomorrow. Only addition is the ability to load multiple objects. Still need to add an option to clean up the loaded meshes.

In the mean time a teaser image
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    When I tried running the viewer, it just said, Model Viewer encountered a problem and needs to close. ?
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    you have .net and at least the august update for directx installed?
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    brand new direct x plugin and .net installed. still no go. would having windows xp 32 matter?
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    are you running a 64-bit platform? if so, that would probably be the reason.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    No, i have xp home 32-bit.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    New Version
    - Multiple models (right click the tree or in the menu)
    - Multiple lights (up to 3) (Ctrl + 1,2,3 to switch)
    - Check boxes added to enable/disable items
    - Now displays the model name instead of "Model"
    - Old mvs files will not work as there was a couple tweaks.

Exe Update

Full update with examples

Next version will be 1.0 and will have background image support, shadows and a ground plane (been lazy on this last one).

Cody: Sorry for the delay, would you be able to email me the error description it is giving? craig.young.81 at gmail dot com.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    ok still have this problem with the huuuuuuge model.. but if i resize the modelviewer window i get this error wich i can skip by pressing "continue"

btw.. what is the normal startvalue for the camera zoom? i have 227624

See the end of this message for details on invoking
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    Error in the application.
    -2005532292 (D3DERR_OUTOFVIDEOMEMORY)
    at Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Texture..ctor(Device device, Int32 width, Int32 height, Int32 numLevels, Usage usage, Format format, Pool pool)
    at ModelViewer.Render.rebuildRenderTargets(Int32 width, Int32 height)
    at ModelViewer.ResourceManager.adjustCamera(Int32 width, Int32 height)
    at ModelViewer.GUI.GUI_Resize(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClientSizeChanged(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.UpdateBounds(Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 width, Int32 height, Int32 clientWidth, Int32 clientHeight)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.UpdateBounds()
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmWindowPosChanged(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
    CodeBase: [url="file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll"]file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll[/url]
    ModelViewer
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: [url="file:///F:/data/1_Programme/modelviewer_by_keg/ModelViewer.exe"]file:///F:/data/1_Programme/modelviewer_by_keg/ModelViewer.exe[/url]
    System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: [url="file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll"]file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll[/url]
    System
    CodeBase: [url="file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll"]file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll[/url]
    System.Drawing
    CodeBase: [url="file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll"]file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll[/url]
    Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D
    Assembly Version: 1.0.2902.0
    Win32 Version: 9.05.132.0000
    CodeBase: [url="file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC/Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D/1.0.2902.0__31bf3856ad364e35/Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.dll"]file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC/Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D/1.0.2902.0__31bf3856ad364e35/Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.dll[/url]
    Microsoft.DirectX
    Win32 Version: 5.04.00.2904
    CodeBase: [url="file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC/Microsoft.DirectX/1.0.2902.0__31bf3856ad364e35/Microsoft.DirectX.dll"]file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC/Microsoft.DirectX/1.0.2902.0__31bf3856ad364e35/Microsoft.DirectX.dll[/url]
    Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3DX
    Win32 Version: 5.04.00.3900
    CodeBase: [url="file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC/Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3DX/1.0.2902.0__31bf3856ad364e35/Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3DX.dll"]file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC/Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3DX/1.0.2902.0__31bf3856ad364e35/Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3DX.dll[/url]
    Accessibility
    CodeBase: [url="file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll"]file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll[/url]
    Microsoft.VisualC
    Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 8.00.50727.42
    CodeBase: [url="file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualC/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualC.dll"]file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualC/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualC.dll[/url]

************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
    application or computer (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
    rather than be handled by this dialog box.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Looks to be a memory issue given the out of memory exception.

right now the system is setup to manage the textures. Going to try and see if handling that myself improves things.

Default zoom on the camera is actually 5. When a model is loaded the camera gets zoomed out to try and fit the model on screen. right now the clip plane is 10,000 going to fix that and upload a new version in the morning.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    well i passed the tool around the studio, took it for a spin and experienced no wonkiness or bugginess. my art directors like the texture refresh and low resource use, should be a standard tool with all our 3d artists any day now :-)
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    New Version
    - Fixed memory issue (hopefully)
    - Camera clipping plane extended massive amounts.
    - Light comes up on property pane when switching lights now.
    - If there is aspect ratio problems when loading from a settings file. Try re-saving the scene and re-loading.

Exe Update

Full update with examples

Cody: Memory bug should be solved. Please let me know if it's fixed now.

Snowfly: thx, nice to know people are liking the tool.

Also played a little with multiple lights. There's one green, one red and one blue light.
    multi-lights.jpg
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    hey ho keg

nice your pushing out so many updates smile.gif

and wohoooooooooooooooo you fixed the clipping plane thing
    now i can see the models cool.gif

but there are some problems left

lil pic 4 ya

as you can see, the texture mapping still isn´t realy there.. or at least.. its bit wired smile.gif

the other thing isn´t something mayor..but to give you the info isn´t bad anyways ..
    if i resize the window, the models seems to be inside out or something like that.. however.. you can look through the model an see the left hand "behind" the body.. if i zoom out or in a bit, the problem is gone.. rotating on the other hand, doesn´t change anything

hope this helps smile.gif

modelviewer_bugs.jpg
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    when i double click the .exe file i get a window that asks me if i want to send a failure report to windows, i click no and that's it... i have no idea how that could happen, i have it all in one folder obviously.
    too bad since it seems like a nice viewer!
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Rollin: That texture deal makes no sense to me. Does it happen constantly? or under certain conditions? As for the screwed up sorting, odds are I am missing updating something and will look into that.

Japhier: August directx update is needed if you don't have it.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    im not sure whats the problem.. but something has to be wrong with my (system?!)units.. thats why the model was (maybe still is?) waaaay to big.. don´t know if the texture problem is based on that, but no one else had the big-model-problem.. and no one else had the wired-texture-problem.. (till now)

and yap.. its always happening with every map (diffuse, bump, usw)

so as if the texture wich is applied to the model is minus scaled a lot by x.. or lets say it the other way around.. if the model would be by x "smaler" the texture would fit .. bc the texture-edges are still there
    do you know what i mean? poor english...
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Rollin: I know what you mean, still can't make heads or tails of why it would be doing that.

What are your system specs? cpu, graphics card & amount of vid memory, OS, amount of ram.

I don't know how or why the uv's are being placed as 0's and 1's instead of proper values. I'll start digging a little more into the loading code. Seems odd it works for most folks. But part of releasing this viewer to help resolve bugs.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    I installed the newest directx just now, but the same thing happens. I have a pretty old computer though:
    AMD Sempron 300+ 512 MB RAM
    64 MB Shared Video Memory
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Well that's probably why, you need a pixel shader 2 card to run the program.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    win xp home
    version 2002
    sp2
    german

p4 3,20 ht

ati readon x1950 pro 512 mb ram

3gig ram

(maybe a . to , problem?)
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I am still finding something a little odd about the normal maps. Does it actually support mirrored uv's yet