Home General Discussion

WWE fans: Chris Benoit & family found dead....

Replies

• jgarland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After the whole McMahon stunt, I wouldn't be surprised if this was kayfabe as well. I would have thought there would be more news coverage if it were real.

Here's hoping it really is just some stupid kayfabe plot.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    And the source is wwe? Uhhh... Yeahhhh....
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    I used to be a huge wrestling fan, Benoit wa sone of my favorites...It sucks that becaus eof the way wrestling is these days, you never really know if it's for real. Checking Wikipedia though, it says that it is true (for whatever that's worth.)

I remember thinking Owen Hart's death was fake as well...sad.

Gav
  • jgarland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wikipedia also reported that Jason Alexander had died of a heart attack for several hours after some /b/tards made the announcement. Unless you're looking for cold, hard facts, Wikipedia is more or less useless.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    It's being reported on a lot of news outlets including the local Edmonton news (where he's from), TNA's website (WWE's competitor), etc.

WWE.com happened to be where my browser was when I posted.
  • jgarland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neither Google, CNN, nor the Associated Press turn up anything. Until I see it on a respected news site (i.e., not a wrestling fansite), I'm taking it with a grain of salt.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Yah, I'm hoping we can all take it with a grain of salt and this is the worst thing WWE has done for ratings in a long, long time.

Especially with the McMahon = dead bullshit story they're running with now.

I doubt Benoit would go along with the idea, especially with his family involved. But he has been talking about leaving for awhile...
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    wwe.com isn't exactly a fan site.

It is pretty bad when the company gets so fucked up with bad storylines that u can't even be sure whether or not to believe when someone is being reported dead.

If it's true, then I'm gutted as he (like guerrero) was one of the few decent wrestlers left.
    They're certainly dropping like flies lately :/
  • adam
  • Robert Headley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robert Headley polycounter lvl 18
    Chris Benoit was one of the greatest true wrestlers to ever live. The only one would could match him in Matt skills was Eddy Guerro.
    Unfortunately it's a style of wrestling you don't see much anymore. I am certainly going to mourne the loss of him and his family and if this is a Gimmick, I will be very angry with WWE.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I wonder if it was something like carbon monoxide poisoning, or if foul play was involved. It does look like this may be legit. I would imagine many large media outlets are waiting to see if this is some sort of WWE gimmick before they report on it.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Well it seems as this may be the real deal. I too find it disturbing that you have to really not be sure of things because of the recent wwe plot lines.

There hasn't been a ton of news involved so we may not know for a day or two.

He didn't wrestle in the latest pay per view for personal reasons. I just hope he didn't kill his whole family and then off himself for some reason. That would just make it worse.

Could seem like carbon monoxide is the most likely scenario.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I doubt its monoxide.

He rushed home to tend to his son and wife because they were coughing up blood.

Next day, all 3 are dead.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I cant believe you guys are falling for this. Stuff like this gets on normal news sites/stations.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I cant believe you guys are falling for this. Stuff like this gets on normal news sites/stations.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Especially on a Monday night.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I would think that ABC is pretty reliable.

They are ruling the deaths and investigating them as homicides.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Sports/story?id=3315501&page=1

Houston Chronicle
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/nation/4919553.html
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    wow. That sucks.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    If you have half a brain you can tell what is real or fake in wrestling. If it was fake it would have been something crazy on the show and not released like this.

Tonite was suposed to be a 3 hour show a tribute to mcmahon, but after this was found out they canceled that show. Mcmahon showed up and anounced what had happened to make clear the diference between it and a story line. then they did a pretty emotional show with clips of benoits career and interviews with wrestlers who have worked with him for years.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah they said on one site that mcmahon was going to be on the show to talk about things. They are supposed to do an autopsy tomorrow but it will take a while to get the results back.
  • bounchfx
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aparently being handled as a murder suicide now. wow.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man this is what I thought had happened. They are investigating it as a murder-suicide. Police believe Benoit killed his wife and child and then himself.

Man why did this guy have to kill his wife and kid? Why not just off himself if that is what he wanted to do.

I could not imagine killing my son. That is just horrific and unimaginable. Sadly that guy in the Chicago area just killed his wife and kids as well.

WTF

anyways heres the link..

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070626/ap_on_re_us/wrestler_dead
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Yah... wow. How many kids does Benoit have? On the show tonight a lot people kept saying that he loved his kids, plural.

Very fucked that its being considered a homicide-suicide.

EDIT: Nevermind. It's been officially ruled as a double-homicide suicide.

"At 10 p.m. Monday night, Lt. Pope held a press conference in conjunction with Scott Ballard, the district attorney for Fayette County. The press conference officially ruled authorities’ findings as a double murder-suicide from within the home.

WAGA, a FOX-owned and operated television station in Atlanta, reported that investigators believe Benoit killed his wife and 7-year-old son over the weekend, then himself on Monday."

http://www.wwe.com/shows/ecw/superstars/chrisbenoit/articles/benoitupdate
  • Ramucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ramucho polycounter lvl 18
    wow that sux...
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jesus this is just jacked. he killed them over the weekend and then offed himself on monday. WTF. This dude had some serious issues going on to do something like this.

I just can't understand how a man could kill his son. That is just it blows me away. I would kill anyone that ever hurt my boy and my family. I just don't get what could have made this guy flip out.

Maybe we will find out more details. Possible divorce, wife cheating on him, steroids leading to depression, drugs. Who knows...
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I was thinking a steroids/drug craze. I also can not connect with the idea of killing your own child, no matter what the situation is.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Steroids do not make you crazy. Specifically, steroids do not make you want to murder your wife and child.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Steroids do not make you crazy. Specifically, steroids do not make you want to murder your wife and child.

[/ QUOTE ]

Verm you are right Steroids don't make you crazy per say. But steroids can cause depressing, rage and all kinds of chemical in-balances in your body which could in turn cause someone to do this. Who knows if his wife was going to leave him, he was doing roids, mixed with other drugs, bad reaction and he just went nuts.

But yeah steroids could make you kill someone. It happened in San Diego at a gym a few years ago. Guy got all jacked up on roids. Lost his mind and shot one of the guys that worked out at the same gym with a shotgun.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    What sort of gains did you get while you were on your steroid cycle, JesseMoody? I don't have an intensions of using them currently, I'm just curious about your experience while using them.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i hear steroids are just like video games. a few years back some kids were playing video games and then went to school and shot a buncha kids
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    What sort of gains did you get while you were on your steroid cycle, JesseMoody? I don't have an intensions of using them currently, I'm just curious about your experience while using them.

[/ QUOTE ]

What? I never said I did steroids. When I worked out heavily I was in the military and I didn't need that extra little boost steroids gives you and risk being kicked out of the service and losing all my benefits, gi bill, college fund.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    But yeah steroids could make you kill someone. It happened in San Diego at a gym a few years ago. Guy got all jacked up on roids. Lost his mind and shot one of the guys that worked out at the same gym with a shotgun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Steroids as a cause of psychosis has never been proven. The fact that a bodybuilder who used steroids committed murder isn't proof of anything - we don't know that the guy wasn't crazy to begin with. Seung-Hui Cho wasn't on any sort of medication and he killed 32 people at Virginia Tech, he was just fucked in the head. Steroids are as proven to be a cause for violence as video games; is DOOM to blame for Columbine?

I'm only writing this to illustrate the point. To paraphrase what you wrote:

But yeah video games could make you kill someone. It happened in Colorado at a school a few years ago. Two guys got obsessed with video games. Lost their minds and shot twelve of the students that went to the same school with a pair of shotguns and 9mm semi-automatics.

That's the Jack Thompson take, right? There are far more reported incidences of known gamers committing murders, particularly mass murders, than there are incidences of known steroid users committing murder. If correlation works to causation, are games are more dangerous and likely to cause someone to kill than steroids?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hook, line and sinker Jesse.

CHolden & Rhino probably both read this thread (together?) and decided that you're stupid (not my opinion) because of what you wrote about steroids. CHolden decided he'd be good cop, Rhino would be bad cop (re: same ol').

If you claim something yet haven't any background on it, people around these parts are bound to spend some energy on you.

Either way, sucks as a fan of wrestling that Benoit is being considered the murderer. For all we know the wife did it. Either way.. boo.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    For all we know the wife did it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if evidence points to the fact that she died over the weekend and him on monday, it seems like she'd have something of a hard time killing him.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't say steroids was the definitive answer to this crime. I was just tossing ideas out. Maybe it wasn't drugs at all. Who knows.
    http://www.livescience.com/health/061106_steroids_crime.html

I was just trying to figure out why a guy would flip and kill his family. That's just not normal. I'm not claiming I know the answer to this murder mystery guys.

I'm probably wrong about the whole steroids thing. If so then fine I can admit that I'm a jackass at times.

That's not the point though. It's just sad that this tragedy had to happen. Another possibility even though from what I have read is that the mother killed the kid and herself and Benoit couldn't handle it and killed himself. That could be why people said he was having family issues. Maybe the wife was having some problems and this is the result.

Maybe that's what Adam meant.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    " Atlanta-based law enforcement sources have told TMZ Benoit may have strangled his wife on Saturday, then smothered his son in his bed a day later. Investigators refuse to officially comment, pending final confirmation by the coroner on the cause and time of the deaths.

One source told TMZ that Benoit was texting friends during Sunday’s WWE “Vengeance” Pay-Per-View program — possibly watching the show with his son, who may have been alive at the time.

According to sources, Benoit then hanged himself Monday in a weight room inside the family home."

D'oh.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am a horrible person, because my first thought in reading that he strangled his wife was to wonder if he used the Crippler Crossface.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    silly boy the crossface works the shoulder joint and a bit of the neck, its not a strangle move!
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man this guy had some serious demons and issues bugging him. Did he leave a note or tell anyone why he did it or was going to do it?
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    [ QUOTE ]
    I am a horrible person, because my first thought in reading that he strangled his wife was to wonder if he used the Crippler Crossface.

[/ QUOTE ]

XD
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    silly boy the crossface works the shoulder joint and a bit of the neck, its not a strangle move!

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, I know. It would have been way funnier if Brutus Beefcake had strangled his wife using the sleeper, but I work with what I have. tongue.gif
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    from yahoos article

"Authorities also said they are investigating whether steroids may have been a factor in the deaths of Benoit, his wife and their 7-year-old son. Steroid abuse has been linked to depression, paranoia, and aggressive behavior or angry outbursts known as "roid rage."

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ap-wrestlerdead&prov=ap&type=lgns
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Want me to go find an article that says video games may be linked to depression, paranoia and aggressive behavior? And after I do, will that make you believe that games are dangerous? Some people would claim that your entire career is based on developing a dangerous, addictive substance and pushing it on children. Consider how you feel about that and then tell me why steroids, which uncounted tens of thousands of people use without committing murder, should be viewed differently.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Verm I'm not saying that everyone that takes steroids goes crazy insane and starts killing people. I was just saying that it was maybe a possibility. If he was clinically depressed and not taking meds then that could lead to this type of behavior.

I think you are taking what I say out of context and trying to make something of it that is not what I mean. Some side effects of steroids are depression, paranoia, achne on the back, etc, etc.

Are video games bad for kids that show violence? I don't think so. Not for every kid. BUT some kids can't distinguish the difference between reality and fiction and fall into this fantasy world where they do things like they see in the game. That is a totally different topic though and not in any way related to this case.

Things we don't know right now are.. Does he have a past history of violence? Medical history / disorders? There are a ton of things that need to be taken into consideration and that is why the investigators mentioned that.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    What are you going on about, Vermillion?

Are you pro-steroids, or just anti-Jessemoody? Are you Mark McGwire?
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Consider how you feel about that and then tell me why steroids, which uncounted tens of thousands of people use without committing murder, should be viewed differently.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rhino and Verm, please drop the video games analogy. You don't inject video games intravenously; video games don't alter the physiology of your body; video games don't fuck with your hormones or influence your brain chemistry or shrink your testicles. The analogy just doesn't work.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    *TOOT TOOT* ALL ABOARD THE THREAD DERAILMENT!!!