Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Wip

Replies

• tremulant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tremulant polycounter lvl 17
    Lookin nice spacemonkey, I saw you say it is still wip///But I think that the arms for one reason or another are appearing really white compared to the face..They could use a lot more colors, purples and things, and maybe just an overall more tan look. You are probly still hashing those out tho...

REally inspiring stuff here though, as usual. Keep at it
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    please tell me this is going to be for ut3? I would play as him every time! laugh.gif lookin awesome! cant wait to see the rest done.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    looking ace! I think I prefer the slightly muted spec on the previous shot (on his metal armour)
    his left hand glove thingy looks sweet
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    yeah man, we best see this in UT3 !
  • Miguelito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Miguelito polycounter lvl 18
    Get a skinshader on him! smile.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tim, what are you rendering this in btw? I'de love to see how he looks in our engine. And yeah, i second SDK!
  • {scumworks}
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks real badass. Only thing I find strage is that hes got nothing to protect hes elbows.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    sarge_progress.jpg

Vig - no the hair doesnt have bump, I still havent done any more on it yet.. Its one of the things I'm leaving till the end..but the cigar will quite fittingly be the final thing !

Renaud Galand , yeah I wanted him to be quite different from the original but still recognisible I hope. I am leaning away from undead ish, he was so washed out in that early pic

tremulant I still havent done anything to the arms yet other than throwing some splats on them. The flesh will be fun to do so I am saving it for after all the inorganics.. which I find a bit tedious tbh!

Ged ut3? nah, maybe gears wink.gif

Miguelito , yeah maybe when he's done. I still have lots of texture work to grind through first

MoP - doc_rob damn! smile.gif heh, unfortunately I think I've been a little too messy with the mesh and normal map etc to feel comfortable releasing it as an sdk.. as the sdk implies that its planned for community usage. See how I feel when its done.

EarthQuake - I'm doing max scanline renders. I occasionally view in the gears editor but prefer the speed of texture loading that max provides.

{scumworks} who needs elbow protection? This guy is so tough he doesnt even wear a jock strap
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    clee101 polycounter lvl 18
    Wow..... that looks just amazing Spacemonkey. I know you're not finished, but the only thing I would say is that his skin color is a bit flat. Touch and polish that up more and thats it. Also maybe some emissive maps somewhere on his armor would add a nice touch. Great job!
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Looks great! Very nice.

- BoBo
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    even if i´m realy realy bored by these ut3-stylo models.. i like the way its done.. it looks like it could realy work.. and i can hardly find bad spots
    nice one smile.gif

oh btw.. i think the reason why he don´t have a jockstrap is bc ... there is nothing to protect... tongue.gif
  • tremulant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SWeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Looks amazing...though the skin could use some colors...it looks like that you're sticking with the current skin.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    read ... "tremulant I still havent done anything to the arms yet other than throwing some splats on them. The flesh will be fun to do so I am saving it for after all the inorganics.. which I find a bit tedious tbh!"
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    execution is perfect. Well, Tim, sorry, but design of his armor is just boring. a lot of cloned parts there! and silhoette is second of it. For real, i understand, that he was done in ut3/gow style, but i think you can see that too, silhoette is very uninteresting.
    model and textures just on top level.
  • digitalprogress
    Hi,

Nice work Spacemonkey. I do have a crit for you thou smile.gif. I think there's some anatomy issues with him. If you where to remove all his armour I think he would have abit of a strange body. if you look at it, his neck would be quite long or his biceps are to low on his arms I think. Also his waiste looks abit to narrow. As I say try to look at him without the armour and it'll make sence. I dont know how you work, but maybe an initial basic full body would be benefical then place the armour over the top. Rather than maybe model an arm to armour and a head and piece it together like that. you might have already done this, so i'll stop talking. Great amount of work you have in this thread and details. Keep it up!
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almos.jpg

thanks for the comments and crits guys smile.gif

conte totally aware of your point about the silhouette but I disagree about the armour. There is repetition without cloning to create a consistency of the design. I wanted to ensure it felt like it belonged to him and wasn't all random parts. So once decided on certain design elements that I liked and recreated them as appropriate thought out the model. Some areas turned out better than others but the effect works. wink.gif

digitalprogress, I agree there are issues and the best way to resolve them is at the very start of the work. Still I'm happy with him and will be glad to finish him and I will be taking greater care ensure I can avoid making them in a the future. Thanks for posting and welcome to the forum ;D
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Man, Tim that is soooo hot! Great work man.
  • adamlewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome work. Love the armor.
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    Looking awesome Spacemonkey!

Personally, I would like it if you got a bit closer to the likeness of the original q3 sarge, right now he looks a bit younger and not as much of a hard-ass. Maybe a bit of white facial hair/stubble, and a slightly more pronounced frown? I don't know, just a thought. Other than that its close to perfect cool.gif
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    face looks really nice man.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    He's quite pale. While it appears to be consistant with the original model, I wonder whether giving him a bit more of a ruddy skin tone in the face might make him look more like someone who's spent a lot of time out under the elements.

Its lovely work regardless, Spacemonkey.
  • tremulant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He is in space though...where there is very little light to get tan with...
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Final image is really nice. my only slight crit that the armour plates on the thigh might have looked better if they were not quite so thin.
    perhaps a little green/blue tinge to the veins also.

very nice overall. love the spec on the chest armour and the head is spot on.
    Is the cigar textured, it looks totally black?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I would think there's lots of UV rays in space!
    (Cool stuff Tim wink.gif )
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    yeah, haven't you seen Sunshine yet?
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    You'd think he would sustain a few bruises and tear on his skin...
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dunno if its something you are aware of, but is his right eye misplaced? Right now it looks as tho his right eye is looking to the direction to his right while his left eye is looking straight forward. I agree with pliang, his skin should look more scarred and dirty.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    it's really starting to shine spacemonkey, very cool.
    what pliang said. i had the impulse to add some grime to his skin.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    spacemonkey + dirty kp = ftw
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    spacemonkey should do the character modelling for Duke Nukem Forever.

Infact spacemonkey i'd love to see you make a duke
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    Tim, can i take my words back? in lowpoly+textures that looks sick.
    well done.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sarge_timappleby33.jpg

sarge_q3redux_timappleby1.jpg

thanks for the encouragement and feedback! Lots of you guys picked up on stuff I was doing and some of you inspired me to push it a little more smile.gif

Ruz - yeah the legs are flat in the low poly.. as poop pointed out in another thread I should have used some geo to define them. In hindsight I totally agree

Jimmies_the_squirrel - I've thought about making Duke Nukem, but I need to do something a little less super macho now.. hopefully. Maybe later in the year wink.gif

conte your words are very much appreciated you have a good eye for art!

So after I killed my dominance war character last year in the texture stage I wanted to challenge myself to overcome some of the same problems. I wanted to create a high detailed model with busy armour but this time make a texture that wouldn't fight against the detail or be too jarring to the eye. I learned a lot making this guy so I want to share some of that with the forum so if anyone has questions about the process feel free to ask.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    ok, Tim.
    1. have you handmodelled all of armor parts in high res model? if that's sub-d mesh, can you show wireframe please?
    2. I would totally like to see texture flats.
    lovely metal btw, very cool.
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    Looks AWESOME!!!

Just one thing, his white hair doesn't look natural. It looks like hes got ginger re-growth and dies it white. Maybe if you turn the hair that is closest to his skull at the top a darker/browner colour it will look like shadow and not ginger regrowth. And if his hair is white you'd think his stubble would be, though I don't know how well it would read, but it might be worth a try.

PS. Id love to hear more about the creation of this guy and what you have learned, tutorial pleeez!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    awsome- agree on the hair though, its just a tiny fraction off, dont know if i would have picked up on it if it wasnt pointed out though
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah the skin looks soo much better now. I wanna ask tho, what is that black line on his left arm between his shoulderpad and biceps? Doesnt read well on what that is... I also agree on the hair. Also, looks like its got kind of a purplish hue to it instead of grey/white. Anyway, solid stuff!

question: did you bake all your normals? or did you use zmapper at all?
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    He kicks so much ass! Great work and I can't wait to see what you work on next!

- BoBo
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    Cool work man,Texture feel old school WIN!, Pretty generic design, but well executed. Nice job man. Id love a closer look at the face, I want to see whats up with is normal eye, he look retarted ahahaha, but that could be different from closer......... DIG IT!
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    great materials and upper body, but I don't think you lower body fits. It's much runder and bigger, like the upper body of a heavy machinegunner, while the upper body looks much lighter. The silouhett is really "soft", some hard deffinishions would help.

I made some changes (don't have a wacom at the moment :/ )
    sarge_q3redux_timappleby1_katz.jpg

great work smile.gif
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    maybe add some salt in his scruff and bring his forehead out
  • DH_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DH_ polycounter lvl 18
    This is really impressive. Probably one of my favorite things I've seen on this board. smile.gif
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Timappleby_sarge_close.jpg

TimAppleby_Sarge_diff.jpg

conte - yeah the metal was subd I will do a wire frame shot, I was meaning to do that already !

Asmuel, SHEPEIRO - damnit, I wanted it to look like it was receding a little (thinning)! guess I painted too saturated a red in there

clee101 - he has a tight black band around his arm. Kind of a remembrance for his fallen comrades.

BoBo_the_seal thanks man smile.gif

b1ll - haha yeah the eyes a bit goofy. I have worked on it a little, but the lid is too heavy on the top and the eyes slant down a bit too much at the corners.. I wanted to capture a squinted look in the sculpt but its given me problems :/

katzeimsack - thanks for the paint over. I do agree the waist narrows a little too much thats something I might tweak out of the low poly a litte .. but I want to avoif distorting things. Not so sure about the sharper edges on the boots but I definitely think I could have made the silhouette more interesting. The thigh parts also I should have made jut out on the low poly (hindsight)

killingpeople - added more stubble, might need a final tweak and I'll check the forehead mesh tweak tomorrow ! thanks wink.gif

DH_ thanks man!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    You really have to finish him soon, you've got the rest of the game to be cracking on with..

..aw go on.. please?
  • iatriki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow! Awesome stuff in this thread!
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    damn man... just... damn... tell me theres alot of photosourcing?

how do you go about making a texture this detailed?
    skills for texturing ALWAYS elude me... lol.. i figre if i know the workflow of others, i might be able to mix and match to get one which wrks for me lol.

top notch stuff man, as always
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Really stunning stuff, Tim. This has progressed really well as have your skills. Your stuff just keeps getting better and better, really inspiring!
    I'll definitely be looking forward to your Dom War entry this year after seeing your recent work.

-caseyjones
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    great progress Tim ! The diffuse is sooo ID-ish <3