Home General Discussion

Lost Thread - finale draws closer!

Replies

• Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i did a google search of colossus of rhodes,, didnt go in depth but i saw nothing aobut a missing foot, nor 4 toes, all the illustrations i saw it had both feet, i even googled "colossus of rhodes 4 toes" and "colossus of rhodes left foot" and found nothing interesting in the first page of results, unless i over looked it,,
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    hmm, lemme go look for the link someone posted with this info over at the sa.com forums.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also everything i read about the colossus says it was made of bronze. and wanst the one on the show made of marble? or some sort of stone?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Aye, it was. I just read that it had a metal skeleton inside of it aswell.

HMMM THE PLOT DOESN'T THICKEN.
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.rhodesguide.com/rhodes/colossus_rhodes.php

Only the base was marble.

LOST completely dropped my interest. It went from feeling like a sci-fi survival adventure to a drama-ridden soap opera. There is a magnetic thing on the island that can pull down planes, and here we are watching who dicked over who in the past. If I was on an island, I certainly would'nt give a crap about everyones past.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.classicreader.com/read.php/sid.1/bookid.3017/sec.5/ first paragraph,, anyone here read all of this? anything in it could be considered a hint? its pretty much the only thing we can find involving 4 toed statues
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    CNN has a good write up on the season finale and what we learned so far.
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/05/25/lost.finale.ap/index.html
  • Hunter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hunter polycounter lvl 18
    I didnt think it was bad.. I sort of guessed the reason for the planecrash back with rose and Bernards episode..

I agree that i expected a bigger cliffhanger.. although having 3 "losties" captured..

wondering what the little look Jack gave Kate at the end..

the possibility of Locke, Eko and Desmond all being dead..

Hmmmm lots to look forward to for next season..
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    A good thing to remember is that Sci-Fi isnt about giant robots, aliens or Ray Guns. Science Fiction as a genre is a way to liberate the author and allow them to construct a setting for stories about PEOPLE. Characters. Good sci fi is always about people, not which space-ship is faster or has more powerful lasers beams, or even Mysterious Electromagnetic bunkers on strange islands.

Remove the characters and their struggles and relationships from pretty much ANY Sci-Fi and what you have is a non-story. Zero entertainment.

I enjoyed the finale. I liked that it wasnt too predictable, although certain elements were guessed pretty far in advance. I can hardly wait until Season 3! In the mean time, Im enjoying the ARG.
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    Another thing to note...everyone, including the "others" were bewildered by the sonic explosion/sound whatever it was....except for Harry. He looked, if anything, annoyed.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I still think the island is a device for time travel, similar to the philidelphia experiment which used powerful electromagnets mounted on ships.

This would explain the missing foot of the statue of Rhodes, the Black Rock, and the possible 'future' smoke monster.

Also, another thought I have is them trying to open a gateway to heaven or hell.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    the magnetics.. it's all about the Magnetics.. I think that the "smoke monster" wasn't smoke, but iron particles or some other ferrous material, being directed by "the others" though the use of poweful magnetics. So with the Magnetic discharge, might we not see the end of those? Also migt they be using the magnetic properties to mess up compases to that other vessels and aircraft steer around their island to maintain their Compass headings? Now what if Walt and Mochael, leaving as they are, seconds after the huge discharge, now follow their now "locally incorrect" compass?

Scott
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with Scott on the magnets theory.

Here's my loose theory on things thus far:

Dharma has discovered a way to amplify and channel electromagnetic fields. The plane was not crashed via the electromagnet 'overloading', but was specifically pulled in by Dharma.

The island: There is some kind of electromagnetic field that surrounds the island. I believe it is naturally occurring, but Dharma placed equipment there to enhance and channel it. This field also keeps the island hidden. Ships cant sail to it, because the field forces them to move around it (possibly altering their compass so that they think they are actually moving in a straight path. That would explain desmond ending up back where he started)

The statue: The island was originally discovered accidently by an ancient civilization. They realized the healing powers of the island (or it's magnetic field rather) and erected a statue in honor of the 'god' that heals them. The healing powers are evident in Locke's legs, Rose's cancer, Charlie's lack of withdrawal symptoms from heroin addiction, and possibly even Claire's ease of child birth.

The smoke monster: Again, agreeing with Ruggels, the smoke is actually particales of lead or iron being controlled via the targetted electromagnets. When Mr. Eko was confronted by the 'creature', there were intense electric shocks throughout it. I still haven't figured out the flashbacks within it, though.

The plane crash: Obviously, the plane crash has nothing to do with the accidental discharge of the magnet in the hatch. That would imply that the people on the plane were all a coincidence, and Hurley's knowledge of 'the numbers' is entirely by chance. I think Dharma or whichever 'big brother' entity is orchestrating this thing, has very specifically targetted this plane and brought it to the island.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The "Mathmatcial forecasting initiative" of the hanso foundation is a way to tell & manipulate the future through mathematics. Who says the means to manipulate need to be overt. Perhaps their super-dooper futre algorithm tells them "kill this person and these people will meet, and board a plane" or "mop this floor on this day and the Jets will win the super bowl" etc etc.

They know who is going to be where & how via this program.
    Maybe...
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    To jump in here, I agree that the crash of Oceanic 815 was not simply accidental. How Desmond's "system failure" incident is related, I can't say, but too much about the plane's survivors appears orchestrated with regards to the Others.

-The Others infiltrated the camp almost immediately after the crash.

-They have intimate knowledge of the survivors (as Michael said, "who is James Ford?" The Others knews already).

-The sheerly overwhelming set of seeming coincidences involved amongst the passengers. Jack, Sawyer and Ana Lucia are all connected (via Jack's father). Hurley and Libby are connected (via the looney bin). There's a big chain between Sayid, Kate, Libby and Desmond (Sayid's CIA boss was Kate's dad and Desmond's buddy in the hatch; Desmond was on the island by virtue of Libby's boat; all are inadvertantly connected via Widmore Industries and Desmond's ex, Penelope). I'm probably leaving a few more out, but events somewhat suggest the people who boarded the plane didn't do so purely as random chance.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you sure he was kates dad? i kinda rember that,, but can't picture his face that well,
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    you sure he was kates dad? i kinda rember that,, but can't picture his face that well,

[/ QUOTE ]

I looked it up, it wasn't. Kate's dad was in the Sayid flashbacks, but they're two different guys.
  • Mansir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mansir polycounter lvl 18
    I think your talking about Clancy Brown's character there. He was working with Sayid and he was also Desmond's bunker buddy. Pretty much reenforces the idea that the folks there aren't there by some random circumstance.
  • Major Clod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Major Clod polycounter lvl 18
    Man I love this show, its really plays with your head! Great finale!
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I looked it up, it wasn't. Kate's dad was in the Sayid flashbacks, but they're two different guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe - I'd like the jury to note that I made that post at 3am and, you know, didn't actually proofread it or anything before I sent it laugh.gif

Yeah, the Kurgan was *with* Kate's dad. Sorry 'bout that, but the connection aspect of it all is still groovy.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    HAHAHA the best part of the finale was when the woman who picked Kate up at the end accidentally grabbed her by the boobs. smile.gif

I really wanted Clancy Brown to be the nig guy in-charge. I'm still holding out hope as they didn't show Desmond burying him. And they already showed how manipulative he is during that Sayid flashback.

- BoBo
  • Mansir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mansir polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, Clancy Brown had that whole smirking "I know something you don't know" attitude with Desmond. I think he'll be back. The Kurgan is just too cool to kill off.

One thing I was hoping they would explain was Walt and his uncanny ability to summon polar bears (From Season 1) or whatever comic book drawing he was glazing through. I thought for sure his abilities or powers or whatever he had would of come into play more in the season finale.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, Clancy Brown had that whole smirking "I know something you don't know" attitude with Desmond. I think he'll be back. The Kurgan is just too cool to kill off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you gotta remember, there can be only one...
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clancy Brown on Lost with that beard looks and reminds me so much of my Dad, its kinda strange. About the same age, hair color, etc.

He's my Dads Bad Twin! OMG! :P
  • e_x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    e_x polycounter lvl 18
    I just finished watching the finale last night.

Does anyone else think that the Portuguese guy that called Desmond's old girlfriend at the end was Matthew Fox, the actor who plays Jack? And if so, what does that mean??

I know there are some theories about good/bad twins in the show. You can even buy the book, Bad Twin which is the manuscript that Sawyer was reading that was burned. The twin theory might also have something to do with why The Others say some people are good, and others are bad. Might explain Libby in the nut house as well.

Good show, but I think Season 3 will change a lot with the introduction of Desmond's girlfriend searching for him. The appeal for me has always been the island and the mysterious with it and the Losties past/connections. Hopefully "the real world" doesn't screw with it too much.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    HAHAHA the best part of the finale was when the woman who picked Kate up at the end accidentally grabbed her by the boobs. smile.gif
    - BoBo

[/ QUOTE ]

lol I'm glad it wasn't just me that noticed that!!

well the plot has thickened. shame we have to wait for the next series.
    Personaly I tend not to speculate about what might be happening and just blindly watch it and have fun. I often read the Lost forums and post interesting images I've found on there, also I decompiled that hanso foundation website's flash and found a few bits. The ARG is fun, I hope they keep it going until we can start on the next series!

Ps: the plane crash appears to be the plane crash. they could have got the rosta from anywhere. The producers said they would explain it fully before the series was out, and it is as literal as it is.

I like the time machine theory.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Oh cool, new russian characters. Every show needs russians

[/ QUOTE ]

lol!

russians.

man, aesir, you are seriously lacking in worldly knowledge
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Does anyone else think that the Portuguese guy that called Desmond's old girlfriend at the end was Matthew Fox, the actor who plays Jack? And if so, what does that mean??

[/ QUOTE ]

not matthew fox, but len cordova. saw a thread about this on another board, but i can't remember which board it is frown.gif
  • e_x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    e_x polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    not matthew fox, but len cordova. saw a thread about this on another board, but i can't remember which board it is frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, OK. That changes things. The creaters had to of known that people would have made the same mistake I did. Which brings up even more questions... confused.gif