Home› Contests & Challenges Archives

Polycount - Generals - Concept General GAUSS

Replies

• Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    gauss you are unstoppable :|really good concepts wink.gif keep concepting us !!!!
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Jeez man, how can you draw these so fast. Your portfolio must be huge!
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    thanks Johny and malcolm. katzeimsack, honest, i'll have something for you tomorrow!

Bort: careful what you wish for. your "sexy mature arse" is still there, but not a whole lot else laugh.gif if this is too far out of left field for you, then delegate the concept to some other needy fellow.

bortly.jpg
  • Bort
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bort polycounter lvl 18
    Keep your grubby mitts off! She's mine.

wowzor, sure puts my crappy blandness to shame.

Reading her as half of an old robot that was slain by a wide laser beam, fixed up and fitted up with a nice corset and thigh pads.
    Mask has been welded into the gap and an exposed boiler/power core is spewing out light/fumes/smoke which casts an aura around her. *two thumbs up*

Is the large disc meant to be a yin yang? The yang half would need to be shattered it if is. wink.gif
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Bort: read into it as much as you fancy smile.gif but no, there's no yin yang anywhere on her person or the glow-y energy balls. if you see one it's purely coincidental.

well i'm still working on the paintover, but I suppose people might like to see some work-in-progress: here's Mecha Hitler as a quick 3D mockup. i tend to do these for overtly mechanical designs, it makes life easier for me and the modeler i'm working with (that's right katzeimsack, i'll pass along the mockup so doing the model will be smooth sailing).

mechahitler3.jpg
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Cool Gauss, thanks for the little "behind the scenes" preview. I'm looking forward to seeing what this turns into!
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    love that last concept you did for Bort. Kickass
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    well it's not quite finished so i'll just continue showing works in progress today, thanks for the comments you two.

first of all my good friend Fritz, who knows about a million times more about max than i do, did a few quick vray renders for me to play with. i ended up using this one:

hitler_test6.jpg

for a base. currently the paintover is about half finished, a ton of details (hitler's head, most of the mech itself, the guns, the background) still need attending to, but i figured you'd like to see anyhow:

mechahitler4.jpg

i ended up not going with the more conventional tan+red scheme associated with Hitler... we'll see how this goes. the glowing swastika will likely become at least somewhat decayed.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    absolutely awesome !
  • cep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cep polycounter lvl 18
    Ahh gauss, I didn't know you did that model when you posted in #md, sorry if I came off disrespectful. Thought it was a paint over you were doing for someone else.
    That concept is some true gauss penis luv.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    gauss the concept for Bort is fantastic, excellent design
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    as i said in #md... dizaaaaaamn!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    dear unpredicatable concept machine, you rock
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    sort of a warm-up before working on the mecha a little more.. but i ended up working on it more. Aegix, this is your freebie, a maggot-ridden ghost woman. enjoy! smile.gif

ghostie.jpg
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Freaky. It's like a haunted human-shaped bag of flesh. If I wern't already busy on my design, I'd do that one.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    ok final Mecha-Hitler... might tweak this later (as with everything) but i've got more concepts to finish for the compo!

mechahitler5.jpg
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I love that ghost woman.

Man, if I wasn't already working on two, I'd beg for that one.
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    nice smile.gif

I think I will add details and give him a little bit more NAZI feeling..

http://forgottenhope.bf1942files.com/images/news/126%20-%20P3Nskirts.jpg
  • aegix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aegix polycounter lvl 17
    that's so awesome gauss ;D

I'll get started on it tonight.
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nkoste polycounter lvl 18
    awesome work so far gauss. Really looking forward to seing to seing what you come up for me. I'm pretty confident you know what you're doing, but If you want to juggle with some ideas just let me know?
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    updated Sectaur's "anus monster" with full colors, had fun with this one. as i mention on my site, i decided to have embedded jewels on his forehead crest in lieu of a silly looking little crown or something.

sectaurs02.jpg

edit: whipped up a quick ortho to help Sectaurs out.
    sectaursortho.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Guass, if you (or anyone else with some imagination and an inclination to help out a fellow polycounter who's short of skills), could I get a little help with my concept. I've got the background and a fairly weak concept down but I could really use someone with some imagination and drawing skills to run with it and take it somewhere less... sucky.

If no ones got time I can deal with what I've got but I'd be really grateful for a quick sketch or some such.

You can find what I've done so far here:
    http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php...SID=#Post103077
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Jackablade: sure. This just hit at the right time so I painted over your concept... I know very little is left but I really did start with a paint-over laugh.gif If you don't like it be sure to hand it off to someone else, there are plenty of concept-less urchins coming to me.
    jackabladevulture.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats cool Guass. I think I'll put a bit of my own spin on it, but you've given me a nice tangent to go off along. Thanks a lot.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    wow! I love that!
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Hot damn you're churning those awesome designs out like KERAZY! KEEP GOIN FOR THE CAUSE!!!
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow! That's bisleyesque!
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    thanks guys, that one was a fury that really came together quickly, i enjoyed working on it. just as i did this concept tag for Rick:

stirling_hornedgod.jpg

and don't worry nkoste, i haven't forgotten you, i have a concept in progress for you that just needs some cleaning up and cool-ifying, right now it's kinda dumb looking smile.gif
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I love gauss. in a manly way.
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dumb-looking is not acceptable - he HAS to be smart-lookin wink.gif Sounds good gauss smile.gif
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry about all the trouble you went through making that amazing concept gauss. I've been handed too many projects this month, and I don't think i'll have enough time to finish that entry. Feel free to let someone else take it over. I'll still model it, just not in time for the competition. Thanks again. This would be a dishonerable discharge right?
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    alright then, i've done something like 15 concepts for this competition. as it stands, roughly 3 of them look like they're going to be finished, Sectaur's, Katzeimsack's, and possibly Bort's. and i've got some paying work now too, so here's the deal: if you want to model anything in this thread for the compo, go for it. it's open season.

edit: nkoste i am still finishing up your concept, but i think that'll be my last for the compo.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Man, you have been amazing, and it has been awesome to see you churn these out! You are a machine!
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Yup, awesome work you've done.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    You, my friend, are unstoppable!
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Stonking work.

Mine is being rebuilt in two places - work and home, thats why there have been no more shots recently. It will be completed smile.gif
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm glad you're still doing mine - it's totally understandable you want to stop now. I thought you would give in long time ago honestly. I'm amazed you got this far. I will finish mine - that's the deal.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hands off my concept you lot smile.gif. The Vulture King -will- be finished by the due date.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Alright, here are the last few concepts.

nkoste1.jpg
    The first is a mostly abandoned concept for Nkoste for a saboteur general. Abandoned since he looked mischevious and kind of nice rather than evil, and because it's a regurgitated version of half a dozen different characters of the slinky rodent type, from Gollum on up.

nkoste2.jpg
    This is my revised concept, which is a brother piece to the Psionic I designed for Downsizer. It's literally the woman's brother, also a psionic general of some kind. I dunno, Nkoste you have your free pick of this one, the one above it, or any of those other concepts in this thread that people haven't claimed or done anything with, like that gorilla-man or the giant bird or whatever.

fishhook.jpg

and finally just one that I banged out pretty quickly but wasn't really all that happy with. This one is also up for grabs smile.gif

And so, the belated close of my participation in this contest. Please finish your entries people! This has really been an enjoyable and fruitful month for me because of this contest, and I thank you all for that.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    no sir, thank you
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I'm going to grab that last one so consider it claimed. There's a bit more to go on than the psionic piece I think. Thanks gauss smile.gif
  • cep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cep polycounter lvl 18
    This stuff is wicked. You've improved so much.

You make my balls want to drop gauss.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Gauss went back in time and showed me this thread and made mine drop at the tender age of 10.
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Gauss went back in time and showed me this thread and made mine drop at the tender age of 10.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL sectaurs! laugh.gif

That last one is really sweet! (ok all of them)
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome big pic there gauss, you certainly did a hell of a lot! smile.gif

Now I hope you don't mind if I give you a little crit... you probably know about it already, but if not, then all the better since it'll give you something to look out for in future!

Out of all these concepts, I can't see one that doesn't have a static pose. Even the running monster looks stiff and mechanical ... your designs, use of colour and shape is all really great, but when it comes to posing and presenting your characters, I've been noticing that often you're letting yourself down.

Granted that quite a few of them are concepts based on existing models so you had to go with their proportions for ease of translation (Rick Stirling's, for instance), but a lot of the "from scratch" concepts, while conceptually strong, are often lacking a certain punch that a more lively, extreme and fluid pose and motion would add.

Now I'm not saying you should go and make all your concepts really extreme and motion-ful just for the sake of it, obviously they're concepts for building a model off, and the modeller needs a good reference, but I think it's possible to give an interesting and characterised pose to a character concept without compromising the useability of the concept as a modelling aid.

I don't really have any particular advice on how you might go about making this change, since I'm not much of a concept artist myself, but I could maybe try a paintover to illustrate what I mean. You probably have a boatload in a reference folder on your hard drive, but take a look at (off the top of my head) some of Hawkprey's concepts, for example ... sometimes even just the way they're standing conveys something about their character, more than just "I am here and I am standing upright."

Hope you understand my meaning, it's not my intention to undermine all the fine work you've done here, just drawing attention to a possible shortcoming in your work that a little focusing and polishing might really go the extra mile on.

Cheers! smile.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    OK, I did a really quick sketch to illustrate my point. I probably picked a really bad example, but I think it gets the idea across.

The initial drawing, although depicting motion, doesn't actually look like it's moving... I think this is because of the linear relationships between a lot of the limbs and the general positioning of the body.

Here's what I reckon would be a more dynamic version of the same character (pushed to extremes to illustrate the point):

gausspaint.jpg

I think this linear thing also applies to a lot of your character concepts here, they're just "standing there" ... not really creating any interest in and of themselves as entities.

OK I'm babbling now, take that for whatever you think it's worth smile.gif
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    no no, much obliged mate! i'm glad i did the compilation image, because it definitely makes it easier to pick up on these kinds of things... it's a great way to cap off the contest to get this kind of crit.

i suppose i should feign some ignorance of this problem and thank you for the new insight, but sadly i've known about it for a long time smile.gif

basically for as long as i've been drawing... or at least since high school, my two big problems were stiff/nonfluid poses and lack of color. now in the past few years i think i've tackled the color problem fairly well--once upon a time i worked almost always in black and white, but these days i'm working in color almost always, and a couple of pieces done for this contest i'm pretty proud of the color. getting to know Painter IX better has really helped out in that department.

but on the other hand, the longstanding issue of stiff-as-all-hell characters and poses is basically unresolved, as you've pointed out. i do appreciate you taking the time out for the linedrawing comparison, because it's a good illustration of what's missing--dynamic forms.
    i remember watching Marko draw at the Austin CA.ORG meet, and the biggest thing i learned from watching him is that composition and flow are king; the first lines he sets down dictate every line that come after in a way that is almost always dynamic and interesting to look at.

i think the biggest reason i haven't tackled it head-on so far is a lack of system memory, to use a good and nerdy computer comparison. when i was really just trying to start learning Painter IX, i was trying to paint a new and interesting concept AND learn the tools at the same time... and i didn't have the "system memory" to do it. both processes are so intensive, either only one would come out well, or both would fail. so i started doing some of those Q3 character studies that had only minor design changes, and suddenly i had no trouble focusing on learning the tools better.

so in other words, the overriding priority for these concepts were the designs themselves, and secondarily the color and rendering quality. i had enough mental space to get those goals accomplished on most of these... but because good, dynamic posing is still not really one of my strong suits, it continued to languish.

so anyway... this isn't me trying to make excuses, honestly! laugh.gif it's a great crit and i think this was the perfect time to bring it up front and center. in fact, i think in my up and coming personal work, i'll get some character i'm already familiar with (or just plain old fashioned figure drawing) and concentrate on breaking out of that long standing starched stiff gauss stuff smile.gif

cheers MoP, i really do appreciate it.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Ah, yeah, I see what you mean about focusing on certain elements in order to bring them to the fore and polish them one at a time, it makes sense.

Good plan to take a familiar character or just human figures and set about posing them in interesting ways... I look forward to seeing what comes of it smile.gif