Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Polycount - Generals - [poopinmymouth]

Replies

• arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    hahahaha. jeff, thats retarded. good times.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    5005 triangles. I have never finished up and not had to optimize at all. I wish I could say it's cause I predicted well the whole way, but I think it's more luck than that.

UV's next! then rigging! Go Go Hitler-Dunst!

delilah_06.jpg

poop.gif
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Hitler Dunst, eh? That the name you're sticking with? laugh.gif
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks cool, but i think she is going to have twist more than humanly possible to grip that gun with the oppisite hand, and i know there is no way she is going to grab it with the hand on its side. i would reccomend moving it closer to her front, where she can get to it with ease,flip it so the handle is pointing toward the back so she can get to it with the hand on that side or modeling some type of helper pet that only purpose is to crawl all the way back there to get her gun.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I put it there for two reasons, one to make it feel more decorative than normal, since in her position she most likely will never need to use it. (her position being that of a strategist at homebase), and secondly I did try to draw a gun shaped object from that position on my person, to make sure it was feasible. She should actually be able to draw with either arm, reaching around, or curling her arm on that side a bit. It's definately possible without contorting herself at all, and it fits with my concept. I understand what you mean though.

poop.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Nice nice nice work! I'm excited to see her textures. Wee!

P.S. How's the new hard drive working out with your video recordings?
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    nope gun is in bad location and no amount of justification will make it work. Before she could ever get to that gun she'd be dead. If your only goal is to make a decretive shape in that area, make it a pouch. I would move it to be more on her hip or into the small of her back with a bit more of an angle and the handle flipped.

Other than that the model turned out pretty good. It does look like Kirsten Dunst. While on technical merit it turned out great, I still think it feels a bit generic design wise. You to wow us with the texture.

I’d let Daz hit it

- BoBo
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    Ben. Hey. Looks nice. Solid modeling as per usual. High five! Question: I am not sure what the technical term is, but in the rear image she looks like she got a case of diaper booty. I think it's maybe the lighting. Discuss?

P.S. I'll let bobo let daz hit it. I'll sell the video on the internet at dazdoesdunst.com
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum: It's working out great actually. I have Camtasia set to do the least compression possible, which creates the frames extremely quickly. The hard drive is more than up to the task of copying them all in real time. My only thing I have to worry about, is that all my windows be running in a 1024x768 window.

BoBo: Not only does the placement not need justification, it is indeed feasible.

http://www.poopinmymouth.com/net/pcount/delilah/back_holster.jpg
    http://www.poopinmymouth.com/net/pcount/delilah/back_holster2.jpg
    http://www.poopinmymouth.com/net/pcount/delilah/back_holster4.jpg

All have the handles of the gun within a few inches of where I have placement, and still within reach. I can't believe of all the ideas we are putting forth in this contest, the placement of her gun handle is in question. hehehe.

And, the major reason I am keeping it where it is, is because I like it.

Stoof, I think it might be this angle actually, as I was noticing that myself, after uploading the image. I will indeed take another look at it tonight to make sure her cuppage is up to the task.

poop.gif
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    LOL, u just own urself poop, thoses picture are totaly different then ur model. the position u made, doesnt make sense at all
    lol
    but hey, its urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr stufff
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    all of those shots you posted are showing exactly what I sugested. smile.gif
  • SeanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SeanW polycounter lvl 17
    Ooooh man poop, yeah im thinking I have to back up peoples opionion about the gun location. I admit I am a fan of the double gun on the back. Always great to see someones process and you did a great job matching up the concept with the model. Cant wait to see some textureing. Feels like it might need a little bit of zing in some areas color wise. Maybe the small little trinkets could be bumped up some with a compliment color just to get things more contrasty.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I appreciate the input, but just to keep from the thread derrailing to a discussion on gun placements, I'm going to say it's staying where it currently is, because I like it there.

Yeah SeanW I've got some plans for the color in the texture map. 8-)

poop.gif
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nkoste polycounter lvl 18
    It's funny with all the concept craziness yours actually stick out being more natural, but I like it a lot. Great work poop!
  • toebeeone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toebeeone polycounter lvl 17
    Gun placement doesnt matter. She looks cool, she is not a front line soldier, and its not like she is going to be in any quick draw competitions where every split second counts when drawing the gun
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    looks good poop!
    I'd going to jump in and say move the gun to her back...but I'm cool if you decide to leave it as it doesn't bother me that much. It's your model do what you want...you just better wow the shit out of us with the texture.
    B
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I got her all UV'ed. I'm using a 512 for the head, a 512x1024 for body, a 256 for the gun, and a 128x256 for the holster. That falls short of the full 1024's worth, but that's the breakdown I like.

So as not to make this a post entirely devoid of art, here's the gun texture.

delilah_07.jpg

poop.gif
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    hm...i like it, but theres something bothering me on the weapon, because it seems that the lightsource you chose to the texture isnt consistent, you have lightning coming from the top front , and top back , and that gives it a weird look, because it makes the metal a bit unrealistic.

i just did a small paintover and i really hope u dont mind, but its just what i think, be noticed i didnt make much changes just some minor tweaks to lightning that imo could be better implemented, other than that , keep showing us stuff !

delilah078xn.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    since it will be holstered, I'm pretty sure you can shrink that texture down. I wouldn't worry about the light scource unless you plan to take it out of the holster =/ Really do you need anything but the handle sticking out if you are not planning to take it out of the holster?
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    I didnt notice before, but i'm liking the neo-luger look of the pistol! And the rest of her.. she's poop-o-licious!
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice crits Johny. After putting it down for the night I had some similar thoughts, but you helped me figure some of it out with that paintover.

Vig, it will be out of the holster. I wouldn't have modeled the whole thing out if I wasn't planning on that.

Slash, lugers are some of my favorate guns, so it's no surprise some of the design slipped in, muaaahhaha.

poop.gif
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work poopstix, I would like to see more junk in the trunk though. Looks a bit flat.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a lot of work on the gun, but couldn't be bothered to take a shot of it tonight. I'll make a new one tomorrow. Here's where I stopped on the face tonight.

delilah_08.jpg

poop.gif
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Poop the face is looking great. Really stepping your work up here. Can't wait to see the rest.
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    the shaps you've put into the diffuse are looking great. Nice work on that soft touch this go around. However, the colors you are using are looking very burnt out/in Seems like just too much random color information in the skin. Dial that back a bit and that face is solid work.

The gun texture seems far too methodical. Like you just treated all edges with the same strange highlights. They do not look like wear and tear but instead just discoloration. The material itself is not representing anything to me. It looks slightly like plastic--try and get some sort of material in it.

Good show, so far though bro. nicenicenice. finishhhhhh
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    Hmmm, that's a lot of color. Maybe a bit too much, but pretty good.

I'll reserve judgement after seeing more progress.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This will be my last update for about a week. I have a distraction that takes precedence. Rest assured I will be back and will finish.

Gun update:

delilah_09.jpg

On the face, I painted it one tone, then tried to juice the colors afterwards, which not only didn't work, you should never try to make changes like that at three in the morning, haha.
    Face update:
    delilah_10.jpg

poop.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    That face is really, really, unhealthily blue.

I love how the gun's looking. Nice work there.

Her eyes seem a tad big and odd... or maybe it's that it seems like her eyeballs are too small for her sockets... maybe try scaling down the eye socket geometry a tad.

Definitely get some more orange/red/yellow back into that face texture though, it looks like she's been asphyxiated right now.
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    Warm up those fleshtones! Right now it looks like a badly white balanced photo, or she's -really really- cold.

Here's my go at it with a color adjustment layer:
    pca.jpg
    Basically just a bunch more yellow and red overall.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bit less green and you've got a really nice texture there ben
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Poop, aside from the flesh tone issues i think you should mess with the massings you have painted into the face, i think she may be a bit too plump, her brow is really thick and continues in a straight line across her face. Also the bottom of her mouth below her lips is too puffy i think especially givin how much you have to top pushed inwards. I also think that the lining around her eye from the eyelid is too prominant on the inside of the eye. Keep it up though i cant wait to see where this girl goes from here.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I'd mention her palor mate only 17 people already have and I know how annoying it would be to have the same crit repeated anymore! ;-)

I'm really liking what you have there Ben, particularly the fact that she's not particularly a classic 'hottie'. Too many faces in videogame work look like models as it is. She has a commanding look about her. She is after all a general, not a supermodel.

The only thing Im not really a fan of is the 'window' reflection in her eye. I think it looks pretty nice in a still grab as above, but I think it has the potential to look a little odd and painted on in 3D. But I understand that its a stylistic choice. I can tell you're putting a lot into this and that the end result is going to be pretty tasty indeed.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i personally like the blue flesh tones, she is an "evil" general and healthy orange skin is going to make her look good not bad. i do think some attention to the brow is needed. as a general rule females dont have the indentation from brow to nose bridge.few more adjustments i would personally make would be the cheeks, i can tell your going for a high cheekbone look, on females the cheekbones seem to make a different shape than males, and there usually isnt that little hunk of meat you seem to have there around the corner of the mouth causing that highlight. hard to discribe see paintover. and the chin bugs me a bit. i just basically softened it up a bit and made the shadows a little bit more subtle.

paintover!

pooppaint.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    good paintover, arsh!
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    I wouldn't change the shading that much arsh, the bulge under her mouth is a characteristic that I have seen on people. It looks unusual but not wrong.
    I love the new version even more Ben, the yellow around the eyes are a great touch mate smile.gif Impressive work!
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Pfft, bunch of whimps. Polycount is the evil side, remember : P ?

paintover3gp.png
  • Entropic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entropic polycounter lvl 17
    Looks cool she has an evil gleam in her eye... Could go for the dark circles / dark hair look to...
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Another suggestion:
    poopover.jpg
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Another suggestion:
    poopover.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

frida kahlo could not lead an army i dont think.
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    says you. that eyebrow can destoy worlds!
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, temporary distraction taken care of over the weekend, back to texture as promised. Body should go much faster than the head/hair did.

The flat
    http://www.poopinmymouth.com/net/pcount/delilah/delilah_11.jpg

delilah_12.jpg

poop.gif
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    very nice hair painting man!
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    The hair is awesome. Face looks nice, but she looks like she back-talked too many times and suffered the consequences. wink.gif

I dig the dual colored eyes, nice touch.

The deadline is closing in, hurry hurry!
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    Nice hair, but the skin is too yellow immo.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    nice one man. the yellow touches *may* be a tad too strong but I love the color mood you have on that face, and the hair rocks hard smile.gif
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    I think the color variation you have on the face, specifically around the eyes is too much. It looks like there are yellows greens and blues in there and it's very spottty in the variance. The girl almost looks like she's very sick in some way or has some bruising around both of her eyes confused.gif
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    you probably have a pretty clear vision of how itll end up, but I wonder if she'd look cool with some eyeshadow to just bring out the 'evil' a bit more?
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    I love the hair and its great how you've done it but I don't understand why it changes colour..

The eyes look like she's been punched, especially with the yellow on the corners of the eyes.