Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LOW-POLY ART

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hawken polycounter lvl 19
This is the sweet spot for your low-poly models. Post 'em if you've got 'em!

Low-poly hasn't really been a requirement in the games industry for a long while now. This thread is for low-poly art style appreciation, so please take note of these rough guidelines:
  • Keep models under 1,000 triangles.
  • Scenes are fine, if all models are low poly.
Some dedicated low-poly modelling tools now exist that make this art style a lot easier to produce; Crocotile3D & Blockbench

Here's a handy list of ways to make your art look right in mainstream 3D software: Low-Poly Art Style Guide

Replies

• DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Retouched an old mobile type piece i hope this is cool it's 1,177 but using a pbr texture process.

david-cruz-dc-lowpoly-transformeroptimusvehiclemode-moble-asset.jpg?1439743507
    Click pic for video and maps.

Love the lowpoly work keep on trucking poly136.gif
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Sry for double post but made him a megatron just now and posting is my timer on how long it took (roughly).
    updated version:
    david-cruz-megatronwip.jpg?1439772182
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    Some cross-posts from my sketchbook thread hehe.
    Just some pokemon fanart
    mrLsLe8.gif

71S9Pld.gif

U0HYxdG.gif
  • ooyoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ooyoo polycounter lvl 4
    woopsy my bad XD
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    Heh you sure that's low-poly dude?
  • TwoCleanForks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone! Everyone's stuff looks great, and I thought I would jump into the thread. Trying my hand at low poly objects, so PLEASE tell me what you think! Currently at 988 triangles.

NJ312zy.jpg
  • sovers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sovers polycounter lvl 16
    Paznos wrote: »
    Photoshop and the pencil brush, so nothing special really. I used world machine to generate the base for the dunes but that was more out of laziness.

Another one
    Kombi%2030fps.gif

Nice one, I love this lowpoly vehicles!
    I did a quite similar one, ages ago...

[SKETCHFAB]ebffabe0f2444f6b9c08756c5c74213c[/SKETCHFAB]
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9skulls polycounter lvl 13
    @DavidCruz Holy shit Batman that's awesome! Please tell me it transforms? Care to share the metallic material setup you got going on there?
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    @DEElekgolo - Very nice!

@Paznos - Nice cars, will they appear in a game, or its just for fun?

Here is a wip of an enemy for a retro style vertical jet fighter game.

338 tris

5pL17jI.jpg
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    9skulls wrote: »
    @DavidCruz Holy shit Batman that's awesome! Please tell me it transforms? Care to share the metallic material setup you got going on there?

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqdb6eWjZVI&index=2&list=LLldOggPODxtByJ0OH6_W4vw[/ame]
    wait for drop 1:15m

Whats a transformer if it doesn't F-ing TRANSFORM BABY!
    david-cruz-megatron1dcgame-artstation-com.jpg?1439860751david-cruz-megatron2dcgame-artstation-com.jpg?1439860748

Situation is though that the robot is not as low as the vehicle (1600 tris - not so low i guess) and the plan for today and tomorrow is i have to revert the bot down to the vehicle again and then edit it's tris down so that i can attempt to make it lowpoly but i doubt it will be very low but i will freaking try.

Going to have to post robot in it's own thread or the WYWOT.
    Sadly opt currently doesn't but i will redo him so that he does cause i think it would be cool to see him and mega tron transform to battle.

Does transformers have a video game yet? Didn't look it up, sadly i probably should have but it might demotivate me if i am honest. ;)

More soon!
    Oh yea, uhm i'll try to share what i can, soon just give me a bit to sort it out, just saw this thread again for today.
    I don't fortget the peeps, don't worry.

Love the work all, keep on love the old style stuff.

Edit here is the Guide, would love people to pm me or whatever when they use it to see if they get similar results, i'd love to see its use.
    Enjoy 9skulls.
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/mini-tutorials-guides
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    DEElekgolo wrote: »
    Some cross-posts from my sketchbook thread hehe.
    Just some pokemon fanart
    mrLsLe8.gif

71S9Pld.gif

U0HYxdG.gif
    holy guacamole, those are so cuteeeee, they look like the real deal ! how did you do the cartoon outline ? :O
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    @Odow - It looks like he is using the simple way. Duplicate the mesh, push it a bit, flip the normals, enable backface culling, and apply a darker version of the material or texture. Done.
    ePG4uLA.jpg
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    Odow wrote: »
    holy guacamole, those are so cuteeeee, they look like the real deal ! how did you do the cartoon outline ? :O
    I made a quick little tutorial gif here from my sketchbook thread!
    UaEpK6G.gif
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    Here's a question: Is it possible to set up a shader to simulate line weight?
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    Maybe not for the outer-lines.
    I have thought about stuff involving a geometry shader and utilizing vertex colors to determine distance the "shell" geometry is away from the actual geometry. I manually did this with that pumpkaboo model I recently made since some of the shell geometry was poking into the actual mesh in some parts.
    That post I made before involving the AABB texture and clever UVS is a good way to get line-weights on the surface-detail parts.

Demonstrated here
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Well I thought it would have taken longer to my surprise i am done converting the robot to vehicle, i am super freaking happy though that it worked out so well.
    who knew, it wouldn't take two days:
    david-cruz-robotsindisguise.jpg?1439880407 might change the situation to 1024's and any triangle counts on the new optimus and this guy so no more lowpoly (too much geo). :(

Now i have to clean everything up, but i have to start a thread for this as only the vehicle by its self is boarder lining lowpoly, just showing the peeps that where wondering. Will make a thread tomorrow, probably until then beddybye. :)

Outline topic:
    Cool, I just thought of an idea though i don't know if would work, you know how you can see normals lines perhaps if a shader was written to write a color at the endings of those would it work? I am wild guessing but perhaps this starts a few tests on the idea otherwise at least i tried. ;)

And just incase:
    david-cruz-forskeptics.jpg?1439881539
  • Fr0z3nR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fr0z3nR null
    Some WiP shots of some low poly environments for a game I'm developing with some friends. (Some models by my friend) ... ignore the floating grass. I'm still trying to get grass right. All done in UE4. Kind of learning more as I go.
    vslONph.png
    cHNxYjC.png
    jJBMQ6i.png
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    It's been a while!

update_18_08_15_zpsxhg8af0h.jpg

update2_18_08_15_zpsuyumuubx.jpg

128x64 textures, both cars are just under 400 triangles each- trying to keep the palletes down too.

There will be more later, still need to finish the R34 (spoiler and some other small bits) and then on to the next car... whatever that will be! :) Started doing these to blow off some steam in the evenings but it might develop in to something.
  • MrQuetch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrQuetch polycounter lvl 6
    I've only been away for so long, and I am surprised with how much rapid posting has taken place. While this may have happened in the past on numerous accounts, I have not seen it legitimately for myself until now. I am thinking about contributing another piece, but have not got around to doing it yet. So, I think I will soon.
  • MrQuetch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    May I ask, Little Norwegians (If you see this.), where does your raccoon profile picture come from? I am intrigued by the simplistic style and have been thinking about doing a low poly character of that raccoon. Before that, I believe it would be best if I knew where he comes from, or if you just made him up. I just thought I would ask.
  • MrQuetch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    By the way, Little Norwegians, thank you for the encouragement, and I do love that you are an LBA fan. I did not expect to find another member of LBA on here. But you know what they say, "It's a small world.".
  • MrQuetch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here she is. I had initially created this one about a month prior to creating the Twinsen model, but I UV mapped and textured Sabrina after I had completed the other. As far as I am concerned, the model looks fine to me, and I really cannot think of anything that I could fix on this, besides the background of the model's showcase. (I had already worked on the model for awhile and just slapped the Photoshopped background behind her. I will eventually draw and dither by hand that background.) As I said with Twinsen, this is probably near completion, but as of right now, it is finished. (Unless I can think of anything else that it needs.) Most of the model's information is already explained within the picture.

vFve4go.png

This time, I have reconsidered my texture size from 96 x 96 to a 128 x 128 diffuse map. Many of you might ask why I even used an alpha map. I know that I could have easily just adapted the glasses and eyebrows to her eyes and hair, but these are meant to be moved around. The glasses more specifically, can be taken off. Lastly, the eyebrows can convey more emotion. Her texture will obviously need to be changed depending on if the glasses are on or off her face. As for the eyebrow shadows on the hair, they will need to be redrawn to a new position.

P.S - It is a pain in the neck at times to try and manipulate an image into a 3D model. Obviously there are many ways around this, but some are harder than others.
  • MrQuetch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If any of you are interested in Sabrina the Skunk, you may be interested in reading the web-comic by Eric William Schwartz, "Sabrina Online", which can be found at, "http"//www.sabrina-online.com".
  • MrQuetch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Be careful though, it is not considered safe for work material.
  • Aimless Tom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aimless Tom polycounter lvl 10
    A rocket launcher for a game I'm working on. Creeps just over the 1K tri limit. Hope that's okay!

[SKETCHFAB]2115308f50bc49ce9cdcf8ac3f2e46d7[/SKETCHFAB]

5Cry3cs.gif
  • MrQuetch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aimless Tom: That type of model could still look like what it is even with much less polygons. I bet you could get away with a hexagonal cylinder and a box on the bottom to imitate the entire weapon itself. But if the style you are shooting for is high polygon, then that makes sense. With that game you are working on, a light could definitely look good shining from the projectile onto the gun. Anyways, keep up the good work on your video game production.
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    Not to back-seat moderate but MrQuetch can you group up your replies into one post rather than chain them in 6 separate ones.
  • Joopis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopis polycounter lvl 2
    Hey, I was wondering if I could see your framework a bit better. I'm still learning low poly and I really like how it looks.
    MrQuetch wrote: »
    Here she is. I had initially created this one about a month prior to creating the Twinsen model, but I UV mapped and textured Sabrina after I had completed the other. As far as I am concerned, the model looks fine to me, and I really cannot think of anything that I could fix on this, besides the background of the model's showcase. (I had already worked on the model for awhile and just slapped the Photoshopped background behind her. I will eventually draw and dither by hand that background.) As I said with Twinsen, this is probably near completion, but as of right now, it is finished. (Unless I can think of anything else that it needs.) Most of the model's information is already explained within the picture.

vFve4go.png

This time, I have reconsidered my texture size from 96 x 96 to a 128 x 128 diffuse map. Many of you might ask why I even used an alpha map. I know that I could have easily just adapted the glasses and eyebrows to her eyes and hair, but these are meant to be moved around. The glasses more specifically, can be taken off. Lastly, the eyebrows can convey more emotion. Her texture will obviously need to be changed depending on if the glasses are on or off her face. As for the eyebrow shadows on the hair, they will need to be redrawn to a new position.

P.S - It is a pain in the neck at times to try and manipulate an image into a 3D model. Obviously there are many ways around this, but some are harder than others.
  • Xelioth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haven't posted here in forever! Have a character sketch!

CMuFBLaVAAAT7dk.jpg:large
  • iLKke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iLKke polycounter lvl 7
    MrQuetch wrote: »
    If any of you are interested in Sabrina the Skunk, you may be interested in reading the web-comic by Eric William Schwartz, "Sabrina Online", which can be found at, "http"//www.sabrina-online.com".

Oh, I remember Eric W Schwartz's work from my Amiga days!
  • MrQuetch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo wrote: »
    Not to back-seat moderate but MrQuetch can you group up your replies into one post rather than chain them in 6 separate ones.

Sorry, Deelegolo. That is something that I need to work on. I will also try working on, "Quoting" other users.
  • MrQuetch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iLKke wrote: »
    Oh, I remember Eric W Schwartz's work from my Amiga days!

That's fun, iLKke. Unfortunately I was not born yet, but here I am now. I assume that I am much younger than most of the users on this website, but I guess that is to be expected.
  • MrQuetch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopis, I am sorry for not having gotten back to you yet. I saw your posting hours earlier today, but have not found a chance to send you the wire frames of my Sabrina model. I was without a computer, but a phone for some time. Also, for everyone else, here they are.

I43RMKd.png

Excuse my wire frames, the image size, and the unfortunate amount of space, as it is not matching again within a proper power of 2 ratio in width and length, but I am sure you will appreciate my first set of wires.

For the future, I will just be, "Print-Screening" the rest of my images of wire frames. (Like the one on the right end.)
  • MrQuetch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What do you know? The image actually re-sized itself. How convenient.
  • MrQuetch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xelioth wrote: »
    Haven't posted here in forever! Have a character sketch!

CMuFBLaVAAAT7dk.jpg:large

Nice character, Xelioth. Has an interesting, yet simple art style. Reminds me of, "The Legend of Zelda: The Windwaker".
  • MrQuetch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just figured that I would post close ups in higher resolution of my model in the, "T-position" along with the backside as well. Looking back on this, I can see some things that I want to fix to it now: the tail needs to be flipped with it's black and white colors, the back of the fists need to show the fingers more prominently, and the hair on the underside near the neck is too dark. Other than that, I still believe that it looks fine for the most part.

iO4Vldu.png

Joopis, this is mainly for your sake, but everyone else is welcome also.
  • MrQuetch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The UV mapping on the tail of my model may also need further work, but it is not the central focus of the piece.
  • MrQuetch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A rocket launcher for a game I'm working on. Creeps just over the 1K tri limit. Hope that's okay!

5Cry3cs.gif

Do you mind if I ask you a question? How can I post a, "Gif File Extension"? Is it the same way as posting an image?
  • Uberren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uberren polycounter lvl 11
    Uh...are you not able to format those 8 posts into a single one?
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    ren: i don't think your allowed to delete your posts only a mod can and most likely will once i inform them. ;)
    Cause that's pretty ridiculous, sry i calls it like i sees it.

Edit:
    I should be more informative, this is not how the site works, the only reason you ever see constant posts from someone is because they need help on their own threads or they update on their threads.
    This is considered spam Mr. and people get T-d off seeing this type of replying, so no offense possibly from whatever other forums you use this might be the norm but on here it is not very welcome.

Nice work on that model thou.
  • MrQuetch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, Uberren, and DavidCruz. I really need to work on that. For now on, I will think hard of what I want to say, and try and compact that into a couple to a few messages, just so we do not have a lot of cluttered messages. Believe me, I do not intend to be a noob, and I am sorry for my constant posting. I understand that it is repetitive.
  • MrQuetch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uberren wrote: »
    Uh...are you not able to format those 8 posts into a single one?

Is that as easy as, "Quoting" someone? Is there a specific button to do that? Just a curious question, and I hope you do no view me as looking at this like a rhetorical question. If there is no specific button, I will try to make it compact. Look at that! Two messages, I will not be posting anymore until someone says something furthermore.
  • HowardDay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HowardDay polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah, dude - it's the little edit button on your last post. Lower right hand side of the individual post. Hit that and add whatever you want to say to the last post you made. Preface it with <EDIT> or some such so people know you modified it.
  • Dalarcon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dalarcon polycounter lvl 12
    998 triangles... just made it by a hair. M_renders.jpg
  • deadpixl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deadpixl polycounter lvl 9

5Cry3cs.gif

Great rocket launcher design!
  • ChristianWilliam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChristianWilliam polycounter lvl 10
    I made this little guy, It's more than 1000 polys but I guess still very lowpoly.
    d5s3HvZ.jpg?1
  • RorrKonn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx wrote: »
    I 'spose this fits here as well as WAYWO:

First hand-painted texture in a decade, and first ever using Blender's texture paint.

588 triangles.

AxeDiffuse.jpg

AxeScreenie.jpg

That's a real cool AXE Gmanx.
    I can't start a thread here yet but I have a thread at blenderartists
    Where I'm trying to learn how to make low polycount meshes.
    If you could tell me how you got your AXE to look like that with
    render ,material ,lighting etc etc settings .I can't tell but I don't think your AXE has a normal map.
    I'm just about clueless to making and render good looking game meshes.
    So I would really appreciate any help ,tips at all.

Thanks
  • Littlenorwegians
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Littlenorwegians polycounter lvl 8
    dog_of_war_by_littlenorwegians-d96zw3k.gif
    Dog of War. Made another one of these as they are good fun to make.
  • Asim7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asim7 polycounter lvl 8
    A PBR barrel for a small class exercise about PBR techniques, around 670 tris :)

[SKETCHFAB]466063ea747b4a7bb8a0b7a79124fe15[/SKETCHFAB]
  • jhoythottle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jhoythottle polycounter lvl 7
    wrong thread... delete