Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LOW-POLY ART

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hawken polycounter lvl 19
This is the sweet spot for your low-poly models. Post 'em if you've got 'em!

Low-poly hasn't really been a requirement in the games industry for a long while now. This thread is for low-poly art style appreciation, so please take note of these rough guidelines:
  • Keep models under 1,000 triangles.
  • Scenes are fine, if all models are low poly.
Some dedicated low-poly modelling tools now exist that make this art style a lot easier to produce; Crocotile3D & Blockbench

Here's a handy list of ways to make your art look right in mainstream 3D software: Low-Poly Art Style Guide

Replies

• Greythought
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Greythought polycounter lvl 3
    qYQLPlw

Project from a couple weeks ago. Normal map needs a good deal of work still. Not sure what lights/render settings people are using so as the face angles aren't apparent.

For some reason the image is shown as broken, not sure why.
  • JimmyRustler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JimmyRustler polycounter lvl 8
    @klamp
    So simple yet so awesome!! Inspire me to do something like that!
  • Leyto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leyto polycounter lvl 7
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    513 tris 256 texture!

Socom_zps530a61a5.png
  • klamp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
  • mcunha98
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mcunha98 polycounter lvl 7
  • Turnip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I saw this forum and it inspired me to do some low poly work. Any feedback is appreciated.

Dordrio_low_poly.png
  • Yog-Shoggoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yog-Shoggoth polycounter lvl 9
    Klamp's posts inspired me to have a bash at some low poly work and finally post something rather than just lurk in the shadows.

So here it is....

Low_Poly_Bust_Fem_WIP.png

Inspiration came from this concept http://fav.me/d6b4oex

Still very much WIP, the shape of the head/face still needs some tweaks and the texture definitely needs improving :\

Got along way to go before I trouble any of the low poly masters on here I think :)

Currently sitting at 338 tris.

Next up some hair and tweaking I think.
  • hardware
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it never occurred to me to separate the eyebrows from the head mesh until klamp's post

great start.
  • klamp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    @Yog-Shoggoth - Nice start! Hair will definitely make a big difference, too. Lookin forward to seeing this further along.

@hardware - Yeah dude! Sometimes it's worth the extra polys to make something look a little cleaner. Plus, it can help improve expressions a lot if/when you're setting up a facial rig.
  • Yog-Shoggoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @klamp Thanks for the inspiration :)

Threw together a quick hairstyle to see how it would change the look.

Low_Poly_Bust_Fem_Hair_WIP.jpg
  • Verticy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Low poly dice. :P

4z9R3.jpg
  • sheckee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sheckee polycounter lvl 9
    @klamp Thanks for the inspiration :)

Threw together a quick hairstyle to see how it would change the look.

Low_Poly_Bust_Fem_Hair_WIP.jpg

Did you sharpen your texture when you down ressed it? It looks like you're having the same problem that I have! Around the lips is a perfect example, it's got this bright edge around it that wasn't in the original texture.

Example :

weirdline.jpg
    You can kind of see it around the lips, the iris and the eye lids.
    Does anyone know why it does this?
  • Yog-Shoggoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @sheckee I didn't sharpen the textures. The lips and eyes are lifted from the concept art at the moment as their pretty much placeholders to help me get the UV map and geometry sorted.

So unfortunately I don't have an answer as to why you're seeing those artefacts, although I wonder if it may have something to do with having scaled those parts of my texture.

Maybe someone else can provide us with the actual reason.
  • Spacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey polycounter lvl 18
    sheckee - That's just the filter doing its magic. It'll darken one side of your edges and lighten the other side. It gives the illusion of being sharper (high contrast looks sharper). Obviously there's more going on under the hood, but that's a basic way of looking at it. You can always paint that out if it's unwanted.
  • hardware
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also, why de-res it?
    if you're worried about file size, you can just optimize the file and keep the sharpness
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    Painting the texture at the final resolution will give you the best results for that resolution.
  • klamp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    @hardware - I don't think it's necessarily the file size they would be worried about. It's more the size (in pixels) of the texture. Most engines end up taking all the textures of all objects in the scene and indexing them together into one big texture sheet. The fewer textures you use, and the smaller they are, the easier it is on the engine.
  • hardware
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i don't think i quite get it fully
    but i guess that explains why textures for some lower poly games look like they do
  • nightz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on some effects for my game, healing:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJwkFUCSBDU"]Who stole my book - healing effect - YouTube[/ame]
  • Mizar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi. First post on polycount! (almost) 400 tri cat that I'm putting together for a phone game.

KydTSX8.png

L428m46.png
  • dsant3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dsant3d polycounter lvl 4
    trashCan_Image.jpg

Game lowpoly model. 756 Tris. Let me know what you think.
  • klamp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    @hardware - Figured I'd go over a few things in case you were curious. If not, or you knew this stuff already, feel free to skip this post altogether! :D

Game engines, in comparison to applications like 3ds Max, Maya, and Blender, are limited in their rendering capabilities due to the fact that they have to render everything you see on the screen in real time. The standard for most games these days is 60 frames per second - in other words, the engine has to render out the entire scene on screen 60 times every second, while at the same time taking into account systems that may be acting on those assets, such as player inputs (via their gamepad), physics, etc.

Naturally, this means game engines have to cut corners and lighten the load wherever possible. Assets that go into games have to be a bit easier for the engine to handle, too. There are a number of ways corners can be cut and the load can be lightened (depending on the engine):

1) Lower polygon count

Models being rendered for film, or straight from a 3d program (ie not in real time) can be as high poly as you want. It might just mean waiting longer for a frame to render. In game, though, to get better performance artists will usually keep the polygon count a bit lower on their assets. This is becoming less of a performance hindrance for engines, though, and other issues (below) are much more costly.

2) Fewer draw calls

As I mentioned before, it is common for engines to combine all the textures of the assets for a scene into a single (or a few) larger texture sheets, usually referred to as "atlases" or "indexes".

For example...

figure1.jpg

In the above image, a bunch of textures for different assets have been put together on a larger texture sheet ("atlas"), and the game engine assigns coordinates to each one so that it knows which texture goes with which asset. The reason this is done is to cut down on the number of "draw calls" the engine needs to make whenever there is a change of state within the game.

As an analogy, imagine that you're standing outside a library. You're friend asks you to find out what year George Washington was born, so to do so you have to go inside the library, find the right book, look up the information, and bring it back out to him. Now imagine your friend has asked you to look up the birthdates of seven different people, each of which is contained in a separate book. That means you would need to go looking for seven different books to find all the info your friend wants. Imagine how much easier it would be if all those birthdates could be found in one book. The same is true with game engines. Each trip into the library is essentially a "draw call", and every time you have to do one it taxes the engine and makes it work harder. By combining the textures onto one atlas, you essentially put all the information in one place for the engine to find. This is also the reason that game engines require textures to be in powers of 2 (32x32, 64x64, 128x128, etc.), because it helps them to fit together more nicely on the atlas.

3) Minimizing the amount of transparent objects on screen at the same time

Transparency is pretty taxing on an engine, since it needs to calculate a lot of different things. It becomes even more taxing when multiple transparent objects are stacked in front or behind one another. This is one of those things level designers tend to keep an eye on, to avoid building areas in the world where you have a lot of transparent things on the screen at one time.

These are just a few factors game artists have to be aware of - there are many others, but I've gone on waaaaaay long enough already. Ultimately this is all a balancing act to avoid over-taxing the engine and to make sure the game runs at a smooth 60fps and responds well to player inputs. Games are constantly cutting corners in one area so that they can increase their budget in a different area.

Anyway, I apologize if this has all been super boring and/or you don't care. Hope someone found it interesting!
  • William3DArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    William3DArtist polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks for the info on the Atlas klamp. It helps me out a lot.
  • Third
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp wrote: »
    This is also the reason that game engines require textures to be in powers of 2 (32x32, 64x64, 128x128, etc.), because it helps them to fit together more nicely on the atlas.

Although that might be the case in some engines, historically the opposite was true, you used a texture atlas so you could efficiently pack multiple non-power-of-2 (NPOT) textures. Is wasn't so much the software that required it, but the hardware. Division and multiplication is much (much!) simpler for powers of two, as is memory allocation and addressing. With modern programmable pipelines (packed full of floating point calculation units) it isn't that big a problem anymore, but power-of-2s might still be more efficient.

One example where POTs still have a great advantage is MIP-mapping (used for trilinear filtering). It stores sizes of the same image in one texture, each a quarter in size (half width and half height) of the previous. These smaller versions are created offline (before rendering) using quality algorithms that are too slow for constant real-time use. With POT textures, getting to a smaller size is easy, and there is guaranteed to be an integer value for both width and height until either becomes 1 texel. This is not the case for NPOTs, where you may end up on half texel widths.
    MipMap_Example_STS101.jpg

Note that although modern GPUs all support NPOT textures, most common texture compression algorithms (DXTn, ETC) work based on 4x4 blocks, so having dimensions as multiples of 4 is still recommended.

A historic note from http://www.opengl.org/wiki/NPOT_Texture :
    The R300 and R400-based cards (Radeon 9500+ and X500+) are incapable of generic NPOT usage. You can use NPOTs, but only if the texture has no mipmaps.
    NV30-based cards (GeForce FX of any kind) are incapable of NPOTs at all, despite implementing OpenGL 2.0 (which requires NPOT). It will do software rendering if you try to use it.
    So beware if you're targeting 10-year old GPUs ;)
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    @ Klamp,

Thanks for taking the time to explain all that. Nice analogy. Very helpful :)
  • hardware
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @klamp
    @third

this is all so informative. thanks!
    my rig is about 7 years old so this is needed information.
  • parallel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    parallel polycounter lvl 3
    dsant3d: It took my a while to read that those crumpled polys by the lid was a plastic bag. I think you should go for another bin material; more plasticky as those bins don't usually come in metallic material (I think), also another color would read better against the surface it's standing on.
  • NickGW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NickGW polycounter lvl 7
    Made the cael hammer and squirt soda in May, but finished up the bullhead shield recently so I thought I'd post them. The original plan was to do all the weapons from Bastion. Might do the rest of them as time goes on.

BastionWeapons.jpg
  • dsant3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    parallel wrote: »
    dsant3d: It took my a while to read that those crumpled polys by the lid was a plastic bag. I think you should go for another bin material; more plasticky as those bins don't usually come in metallic material (I think), also another color would read better against the surface it's standing on.

Hi Parellel, I really appreciate the critique. I will work on a different material for the bag to see if I can make it more apparent as to what it is. As far as the material goes for the bin I based the bin off of a real trash can I found at a park I have included one of the reference photos.trashCan_ref.jpg
  • parallel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    parallel polycounter lvl 3
    dsant3d wrote: »
    As far as the material goes for the bin I based the bin off of a real trash can I found at a park I have included one of the reference photos.

I see, so it's a lack of cultural reference on my part. In northern Europe those type bins are usually only seen in american franchises of the plastic variety, though there are similar ones for public outdoors but they're generally more sturdy plastic with no bags.
  • klamp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    dsant3d wrote: »
    trashCan_Image.jpg

Game lowpoly model. 756 Tris. Let me know what you think.

Hey, hope you don't mind, I outlined a few things on the reference you posted that I think could help make your model look better:

guY6BAa.jpg

1) These ridges are pretty iconic for this type of garbage can, and your model doesn't have them. I think adding them in would not only add more visual interest to the body of the can, but would also help people to realize that that top strip is a transparent plastic bag (since they would be able to see the bolder shapes of the ridges peeking through). You could either paint those ridges in, but since you're using actual lights you'd probably want the ridges to react appropriately to the light. In that case, I'd model a higher poly version of the garbage can with the ridges present, then bake the higher poly details into a normal map and apply it onto your low poly model. This way your model remains low poly but still has those ridges that will react to changes in light.

2) I think your garbage can could use a bit of grime/dirt near the bottom, like your ref shows. This, again, would add more visual interest, but it would also make the garbage can appear slightly darker near the bottom, adding to the visual weight, which helps ground it in the world.

3) These pinching points, where the material of the plastic bag is pulled together, help to differentiate it from the garbage can. Especially when those parts hit the light. Try adding more shapes in to the plastic bag like these, and also try playing with the opacity and specularity of the bag. I agree with parallel that it was hard to see the plastic bag at first - at first I thought it was just twisted UVs, and didn't realize it was a plastic bag till he pointed it out.

Hope this helps!
  • sheckee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sheckee polycounter lvl 9
    Cheers to the guys that addressed my question.

DemonPrincess - Yeah I understand that, sometimes it's just nicer/easier to paint at double the res and downscale it. I imagine the best way to do it is to paint at double, rescale and then continue painting / tweaking to get the result you want.
  • ceriux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceriux polycounter lvl 10
    Lazdena, can i see your wireframes?
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    sheckee wrote: »
    Cheers to the guys that addressed my question.

DemonPrincess - Yeah I understand that, sometimes it's just nicer/easier to paint at double the res and downscale it. I imagine the best way to do it is to paint at double, rescale and then continue painting / tweaking to get the result you want.

That's a valid workflow, but you have to be careful not to paint too much at the higher resolution. The downsizing process will get rid of a lot of the details and make everything look blurry overall, so you may be wasting a lot of your hard work that way.

Ofcourse, this is all assuming you know the final resolution. During actual development, it may not always be so clear, so in that case it's safer to paint the texture at a higher resolution. You can always downscale a texture and tweak from there, but you can never upscale.
  • Zephron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello all, long time lurker, first-time poster.

This is a character I drew awhile back, I thought she'd be a good excuse to try low-poly modeling and texture work.

I gave her all 5 digits on her fingers, without those she'd be around 500 Tris.

id73.png
    076r.png

Here are the various views and specs, I'd appreciate any critiques you guys can give me on the work I've done. Thanks!
  • whiketan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whiketan polycounter lvl 3
    Zephron, thats actually Really good for a first model! You may want to make the legs diamond, instead of square like you did for the arms, to make them shade better. Also there is quite visable distortion around the face, that could be resolved by making it a bit more planar. other then that though Its a really good first model, and you can only get better from here!
  • Zephron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @whiketan

Thanks so much! Could you explain further what you mean by making the face more planar, do you mean much more flat? I added a couple tris to give her a nose, but do you mean to remove that?
  • dsant3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @klamp Thank you very much for that information. I should have definitely been paying more attention to the reference. I did plan on making a high poly model and then baking a normal map for the low poly. I will make the changes and update. Thank you and parallel for the excellent critiques. Much appreciated.
  • ceriux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceriux polycounter lvl 10
    zephron i really like the model/style. it looks nice.
  • whiketan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whiketan polycounter lvl 3
    Yeah I ment make it a bit more flat to reduce the texture distortion, in its current form the face is bent at a pretty sharp angle making it look a little funky. Just play around a bit and see what works best.
  • Aerial_Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aerial_Knight polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome Work as always guys!
  • Aerial_Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Im working on a cartoony type planet and could really use some help making this texture look better.I know its just a ball but I really suck at planet textures, any ideas?

[SKETCHFAB]31a1aed4b57d472691ffdecfc6cfc25d[/SKETCHFAB]

planet_zpsd4d70078.jpg
  • Xelioth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Im working on a cartoony type planet and could really use some help making this texture look better.I know its just a ball but I really suck at planet textures, any ideas?
    planet_zpsd4d70078.jpg
    What catches my eye is the crater. It's painted in a different style from the rest of the planet. Doesn't have the same soft shading, it's far less detailed when it should be MORE detailed.

Aside from that, I really like the style you've got going.

I'm curious about the crystals. Did you just set them with reflectivity and bake the lighting into the texture? Or some other trick?
  • Aerial_Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks, and yes I baked in the reflectivity
  • hardware
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More small craters and dents, I'd say
    Various sizes
    Maybe in little clusters
  • thebamboobear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thebamboobear polycounter lvl 9
    hello all,
    here I made some low poly enemies recently for a personal project ^^

xSOwUH5.jpg

This is the project's wip page if you'd like to know more: http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/974180-Stranded-iOS-Twin-Stick-Shooter

cheers
  • tucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tucho polycounter lvl 17
    Hi guys, I was really busy at work this summer, so my progress on the FullBlast project was really slow. Here you can see a couple of models more for this game and I'll post soon pictures of the next levels showing the art of the new tileset :)

full thread of this project here.

brain_tank.jpg

brain_bug_high.jpg

el_brain_bug.jpg

el_tank.jpg
  • mcunha98
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mcunha98 polycounter lvl 7
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    tinkering around this Sunday with some speed env. More time would make it fancy.

low_tinker01.jpg