Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LOW-POLY ART

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hawken polycounter lvl 19
This is the sweet spot for your low-poly models. Post 'em if you've got 'em!

Low-poly hasn't really been a requirement in the games industry for a long while now. This thread is for low-poly art style appreciation, so please take note of these rough guidelines:
  • Keep models under 1,000 triangles.
  • Scenes are fine, if all models are low poly.
Some dedicated low-poly modelling tools now exist that make this art style a lot easier to produce; Crocotile3D & Blockbench

Here's a handy list of ways to make your art look right in mainstream 3D software: Low-Poly Art Style Guide

Replies

• laperen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    laperen polycounter lvl 11
    got 2 to show this time

"cyber sentai" models, low res and good to go

cyber_sentai_models.jpg

and duno who knows of Oban Star Racers here but heres a little simulation render of low poly low res models related to it

osr_fan_game_simulation_render.png
  • krisCrash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    krisCrash polycounter lvl 9
    MCunha98: what strikes me about your figures is they need silhouette work. The designs are interesting enough, but your models tend to get blobby. Cute shoes :3

Der Hollander: it's probably only the rifle, the rest has a nice polygon density, if that word applies here.

richwderby: It's what's for dinner? YUM!

laperen: Ooh, Oban, yes, it did look familiar.

Snader: You did post them! But not all the versions. Here is another good one if someone is looking for low poly hand topo: 82 tris, ripped from Wow (4-5 years ago), female night elf hand. The total character is 1024 (without hair and armour of course)
    _nelf.png
  • Noods
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noods polycounter lvl 18
    Made a little castle crasher. Not to happy with the eyes, might change those.
    300 triangles and a 128x128 texture.

Castlecrasher.png
  • Lexou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lexou polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, the main four look meaner. Only gray knight has eyes like that.
  • Lionx_Dagger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a 3D Book:
    Exorcist diary: The evil shadow (a title of my game)

it will be used as a menu in game

90 tris
    128 poli
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    ingamep.png

Oh man how did I get here, I am not good at Unity
  • Tronno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's awesome Paulewog... he's got so much personality. :)

Hey, could you guys crit this pirate dude I made a couple nights ago? (408 tris)

It's my first low-poly character ever!! :D How long would it take a pro do make something like this? It took me about 7 hours, sketch to final.

pirate_by_bogdan_balan.jpg
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    a 3D Book:

90 tris
    128 poli

I think the texture on the pages of the book could definitely use a bit more loving.
  • Hawt Koffee
  • SanderDL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
    a 3D Book:

90 tris
    128 poli

Will this game be a Hidden object game by any chance? They always seem to have double names like that.
  • Lionx_Dagger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the texture on the pages of the book could definitely use a bit more loving.
    ?
    its not actually a texture thous are pages since book will be opening
    tho u right maybe ill rotate the texture and mirror et that would give me 4 different pages
    SanderDL wrote: »
    Will this game be a Hidden object game by any chance? They always seem to have double names like that.
    well its more of a horror game where u shoot monsters :p I'm fixing one or 2 thinks in my old game like a plot, and fully my own graphic
  • super dza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    guys, I have a troubles with UV in 3d Max. I cant use small pics such a 64x64 as the map, because it's becomes blurred after render. I'm also dont get which render settings and materials better to use, if I use basic pressets picture looking very strange, with crappy shadows and facture.
    Can find nothing about this in the internet. Any one can help me?

p.s.
    sorry for my english : )
  • Delko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delko polycounter lvl 15
    cars.png
    Yeah, I've been lazy.
    I tried to install max so I could make some cool tracks with the sweep tool, but it wont run for some reason.
    @super dza, try disabling texture filtering
  • krisCrash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    krisCrash polycounter lvl 9
    Tronno: Nice one!
    super dza wrote: »
    guys, I have a troubles with UV in 3d Max. I cant use small pics such a 64x64 as the map, because it's becomes blurred after render. I'm also dont get which render settings and materials better to use, if I use basic pressets picture looking very strange, with crappy shadows and facture.
    Can find nothing about this in the internet. Any one can help me?

p.s.
    sorry for my english : )
    Just need to disable filtering in the material's bitmap settings. And disable mipmap lookup and set texel lookup to Nearest in Preferences > Viewport > configure driver - that should remove blurring in both viewport and UV window.
  • green
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love it Paulewog. The concept with the beard is definitely the best of the bunch.
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poribo polycounter lvl 13
    gru__s_minion_by_nightflarer-d3bfmvy.png
    Whipped this model up around ~4 hours. His back is horribly unwrapped, it was too late to fix it...so sad.

@Lionx_Dagger: Show some wireframe, 90/128? tris is a bit too much. You could do that with at least 36 tris.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    ^^^^^^^ Pure win! i love that film :D
  • MadCarrot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another attempt at low poly, brick ninja
    any crits, suggestions would be welcome

brick_ninja_wip_walkcycle_by_madgharr-d3bgjpj.gif
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    MadCarrot - there's not a lot to crit. It's a couple of boxes with flat textures. How about trying something more challenging, perhaps something like this or this?

Av7xrocker97 - yes, but it's quite a waste to use transparency on about 10 pixels of the whole texture.

NightFlarer - why didn't you simply use cylindrical unwrapping? That way you'd have perfectly aligned pixels on most of his body.

Tronno - model looks good, though perhaps the texture is a bit too realistic in comparison. The design is bit bland as well, but I reckon you already knew. It'd be a good model for 'random_thug_003' in a game like RCR or Double Dragon.

Paulewog - this one turned out very nice, but I have some small crits. The crotch area looks like it has more geo than necessary. Seems to me the shoulder could have been unwrapped better, looks very jaggy right now. There's a couple of issues with UV isles not lining up properly (yellow thing on the cap, waistline).
  • MadCarrot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader - thanks, I'll try something different next time (this one is for a very simple Unity game)
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poribo polycounter lvl 13
    Snader: Yep, that's what I've realized when I was halfway through the texturing. Sigh, that's what happens when you rush..
  • Tronno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits Snader, I agree 100% and I appreciate your harshness ;)
  • MadCarrot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    we are not here for hugs, we are here for honest harshness :-)
  • nutsy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nutsy polycounter lvl 18
    Generic foot soldier cannon fodder.....complete with generic ACTION POSE!
    grunt01.jpg

438 Tris.
    In looking it over now, I think I am going to narrow those shoulders some.

Here is a shot in Unity, please....no commentary on the stand in interface. actually, everything is a stand in :D

unity01.jpg

Cheers!
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
    wow man , this look amazing .. how long you lear unity ?
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nutsy that looks pretty sweet man! A close up of your main guy holding that gun would be nice to see!

I just started another iphone gig, but i cant show any of the stuff im doing due to me signing my soul away to a NDA. So you will all have to wait!:(
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    That's looking really cool in Unity
  • nutsy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nutsy polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks guys.

Ayoub, I've been messing around with Unity for a couple of years now I think.
    To be honest, I can't get my head around a lot of the advanced scripting stuff, but the Unity community is very open, and there are lots of resources available for download. That plus scouring the Unity forums when I have a question usually ends up with some results.
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    nutsy: that looks pretty rad! Is this for an iPhone project?
  • Brendan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brendan polycounter lvl 8
    nutsy wrote: »
    Generic foot soldier cannon fodder.....complete with generic ACTION POSE!
    grunt01.jpg

unity01.jpg

Cheers!

reminds me of the nameless goons from The Incredibles movie.

The kind you could shoot all day and not feel bad because they probably don't have families or kids or the usual work-related issues such as stress, bad colleagues, a grumpy and careless boss, coming home to a depressed wife and under-achieving children.
  • Fragged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fragged polycounter lvl 9
    Spaceship for a personal game project. Now it needs some lasers...

Spaceflyer3D-Fragged.jpg
  • zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    Started out as a school assignment.
    snusmumriken.png
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Needed to chill out for a while so i decided to kick back and make the first thing that popped into my head, somehow it was this little dude:

~2 hours 30mins
    687 triangles
    512x512 map
    vert colourslittlerobot.jpg

Hope you like him :)
  • paradise.engineering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paradise.engineering polycounter lvl 11
    soul%20evans%20promo.png
    souleater_wires.png

edit: thank you for your appreciation, Hatsya
  • MadCarrot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe - looks fantastic :-) are you going to animate it?
  • Hatsya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @paradise.engineering:
    Very low-poly (something for a PSP/laptop-friendly game to keep), and definitely anime-ish, modeling and texture-wise!
  • Lionx_Dagger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Lionx_Dagger: Show some wireframe, 90/128? tris is a bit too much. You could do that with at least 36 tris.

like is said before, its cause of pages and if i could i would show tris but i can't since all the pages are separate objects witch combining et together will make a mess, so the cover is around 36 tris each page is divided to 3 segments for better animation witch gives 6 tris per page and since i have around 16 pages now, that gives 96 tris add 36 tris cover

so i ended up with 136 tris and 148 vertex/polygons

and heres how it looks like
    gif3a.gif

and yes it will stop on a cover and below will be write Press Any-Key that will make open the book and show the menu
  • MadCarrot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a little update on my few boxes :-)
    brick_orc_wip_walk_cycle_by_madgharr-d3brn8m.gif
  • elementrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elementrix polycounter lvl 15
    some stuff I'm working on =), vertex-lit:
    villagewip.png
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bloody awesome, great work. Thats all i have to say :) can you tell us what this is for? :D
  • Buppy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elementrix wrote: »
    villagewip.png

Ha, cool. Reminds me of old Playerworlds games!
  • CactusFantastico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CactusFantastico polycounter lvl 12
    elementrix wrote: »
    villagewip.png

daaamn I'm really inspired to try and make a low poly environment now!

also @paradise: looks really cool I love the look of the textures, would love to see a bigger picture version though cause its a bit hard to see
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That scene looks really awesome.... except the boat. That really needs some extra tiles to add detail, or possibly make the ship a special mesh on its own.

Lionx_Dagger - the paper texture is very obviously repetetive. Make the paper texture bigger, and semi-randomly place the sheets on it. Offset them a bit, mirror, rotate, etc.

paradise.engineering - looks good, but a bit flat. How about painting in some more cellshading? At least between the legs and under the arms.
  • elementrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elementrix polycounter lvl 15
    thanks guys=),

gilesruscoe - It's freelance work for an iPhone game, I'll probably make a thread when it's more complete.

Snader - Yep the boat is still Wip in that shot, it's already more developed now with grids on the floor, a steering wheel and masts and I'm going to make a frontend piece but I just wanted to post a screenshot:P. The reason why I make everything out of little tiles is because the levels will be puzzle based and there will be a lot of boats in all sizes and shapes so making special meshes for each boat (if that's what you mean) would be a lot more work.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not necessarily whole single meshes. If all ships are the same width, you could use something like this.

The biggest problem is that you now have a sharp 45 degree angle instead of a nice curve. Even making it like this would help a ton:
    shipthing.png
    and that would only cost you 2 new tiles. I'd also advide you to add some detail besides the obvious steering wheel and masts. Adding a unique figurehead to each ship can work wonders for making them distinguishable. You could add 2 tiles so you can have an captains cabin (the brown horseshoe shaped part in this image).

You're working with tiles, but the barrels and bushes feel pretty round and detailed so why not the ship?
  • Fewes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fewes polycounter lvl 8
    Never actually tried making low poly models with "pixelated" textures before. It's kind of a dream of mine to make a light-weight 3d engine and make a low poly adventure game for it.

lowpoly_room.jpg
    lowpoly_crate.jpg
    lowpoly_barrel.jpg
  • paradise.engineering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paradise.engineering polycounter lvl 11
    evansHQ.png
    CactusFantastico: i hope this one is better :D. Glad to hear you like it.
    Snader: great advice! thanks.
    Hatsya: thank you for your appreciation.

elementrix this looks amazing!!! Great job.
    villagewip.png

Fewes your artwork makes me cry :love:
  • RedRaven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RedRaven polycounter lvl 10
    Needed to chill out for a while so i decided to kick back and make the first thing that popped into my head, somehow it was this little dude:

~2 hours 30mins
    687 triangles
    512x512 map
    vert colourslittlerobot.jpg

Hope you like him :)

I really like this one giles! I've got a big love for robots, especially little ones like this guy. Great texture work! I'm gonna assume you had the uvs for most of the model stacked, as it's pretty prominent in the face (not in a bad way, still works perfectly fine!)

overall, I love the design. If it were mine however, just along the bottom of the jaw line, I would have added a bit of extra detail, either via the white-ish scratches that you have on the teeth, or with a different type of metal, some bolts, or heck, even just a bit of painted shadow, only because for me at least, the bottom of the chin kind of gets lost and blends in with the body below.

Apart from that though, LOVE the style, and considering it was just for a chill-out sesh, very well done. :D
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man, Glad you like it. I was actually considering adding some scratches along the bottom of his jaw, but i had to go out and never got back to doing it! But yea, i think its needed to define the bottom of the jaw in front view. The textures are pretty much all overlapped, apart from his suction thingy. Wasn't too please with the details on the top of his head really, a bit too washed out. Oh well :)

Working away on a ton of iphone stuff atm, but i cant show anyone! So i wont really be posting much "serious" stuff here for a bit... :(
  • mcunha98
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mcunha98 polycounter lvl 7