Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LOW-POLY ART

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hawken polycounter lvl 19
This is the sweet spot for your low-poly models. Post 'em if you've got 'em!

Low-poly hasn't really been a requirement in the games industry for a long while now. This thread is for low-poly art style appreciation, so please take note of these rough guidelines:
  • Keep models under 1,000 triangles.
  • Scenes are fine, if all models are low poly.
Some dedicated low-poly modelling tools now exist that make this art style a lot easier to produce; Crocotile3D & Blockbench

Here's a handy list of ways to make your art look right in mainstream 3D software: Low-Poly Art Style Guide

Replies

• cox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cox polycounter lvl 10
    I've made it some time ago for a lowpoly contest at game-artist forums.

boss_01.jpg

boss_02.jpg

boss_03.jpg

animation/rig test
    animation_boss.gif
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Bravo Cox, Bravo! when i saw the first pic i was preparing myself to type "wrong thread!" but then i saw ur wires and flats! nicely done :)

Anyway, another thing from me for my iphone game (Gilbert) one of many little statues that will be throughout the jungle:

128x128 texture
    statues.jpg
  • RAWTalent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really nice, perhaps the face texture could be even less pixels? Loving the style though, really looking forward to Gilbert now :D
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nearer completion we're guna go through our texture library and see if we can get away with making any of the textures smaller, but for now he's a 128 :) the face itself uses up 100x100 of the texture map xD

Just finished up some palm trees... although i think once you've seen one tree u've seen them all, so i shall refrain from posting :P Poor gilbert must be sore, ive been pimping him all week!
  • Leyto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leyto polycounter lvl 7
    vancompo.jpg

Nice stuff these last days :)
    Hereis my humble contribution to this thread, it's a redesign of the famous Volkswagen van, colors inspired by a post here several months ago featuring an amazing low poly yellow taxi.

Buppy, I like how you use lopoly, great style !
    cox, already seen it, but it's a pleasure to see it again here ^^
    paradise.engineering
    I suggest you to remove all those hard edges by using only one smoothing group, texture shading is your friend :poly142:vancompo.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pretty sweet man! i like that you have done the under side of it! glass is nice too :)
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Leyto - it looks more like an old toyota van than the VW classics.
    Vw-Kombi1.jpgBadgless+1984+Toyota+Van.+-+1.jpg

Giles - I think this would be more efficient:
    gilesstatuemock.png
    Has a slightly more natural silhouette at only 32 triangles, the UV map doesn't have any stretching and is still 90% used, and because there are 2 unique sides there isn't any obvious tiling. The unwrap is also dead easy, it's just mapping->unfold->walk to closest face for each side and then positioning.

Cox - the boss seems a bit heavy (1400-1500 tris?) for this thread, but the environment is absolutely fabutastic.
  • Komalrajsingh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lovin' the new models. Great inspirational stuffs u all.. :D

Anyway here's mine. To hell with alpha map. Made some new buildings. Here's the completed model with texture.

Model:
    4j5kar.jpg

Wireframe:
    2h4jk06.jpg

Texture:
    141ryh1.jpg
  • Buppy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leyto wrote: »
    vancompo.jpg

Hereis my humble contribution to this thread, it's a redesign of the famous Volkswagen van, colors inspired by a post here several months ago featuring an amazing low poly yellow taxi.

paradise.engineering
    I suggest you to remove all those hard edges by using only one smoothing group, texture shading is your friend :poly142:vancompo.jpg

o. Cheers blud. Nice van, I'd like to see one in orange. (The best ones are orange). I'd like to see it a bit higher poly but, thats just preference.

Also now I want to make a van.
  • Dynamiks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys! I need urgent help! How should I set up my scene and renderer to render my game model without any lights or shadows? Like all those images people posted before me. It's really urgent!

Thanks in advance
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Dynamiks wrote: »
    Guys! I need urgent help! How should I set up my scene and renderer to render my game model without any lights or shadows? Like all those images people posted before me. It's really urgent!

Thanks in advance

...In what program?
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In Max you do this to get flat shading:
    flatshading.png

And I finished my car. A Volvo 440 DL, in exactly 440 triangles.
    volvo440.png
    Texture completely handpixeled, too - though I just noticed the proportions of the doors are off, urgh... The undercarriage is completely made up btw, couldn't find any reference for it.

Anyway, this car shows what I means about straight unwrap. Most of the lines are completely straight on the texture, which means it looks pretty decent even at high resolution. For instance compare the front windshield (which has straightened, slightly stretched UV's) with the side windows (which are at too extreme angles to straighten).
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet stuff guys!

To get flat shading, over sampling off and mipmaps turned off (the defualt way to show your LP awesomeness) check out this thread! it covers most programs:)
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51622

@Komalrajsingh: you dont need to ditch aplha! just save your texture as a .png and make sure the window areas are left transparent, then you can use a single map for both aplha and colour! also your houses are looking nice, but i feel you are wasting alot of space on flat colours still, remember, you could get the same result with a 1 pixel stretch!:)
    Snader wrote: »
    Giles - I think this would be more efficient:
    gilesstatuemock.png
    Has a slightly more natural silhouette at only 32 triangles, the UV map doesn't have any stretching and is still 90% used, and because there are 2 unique sides there isn't any obvious tiling. The unwrap is also dead easy, it's just mapping->unfold->walk to closest face for each side and then positioning.

Cheers for the tip, i will keep it in mind for future statues, however on the current statue a large area is needed for the pixel art face, which i really want to keep as high quality as possible, i might make the vines go all the way around the statue though, helps to hide the tiling a little!

Edit: didnt wanna double post, another 45min mess around, something a little more abstract this time round:
    tallguy.jpg
  • Dynamiks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Joopson - It's in 3Ds Max

@ Snader - Yes, I am using Flat in the viewport, but if I have opacity map, i have to render my model to see the effect. And when I am rendering there are some different shadows automatically applying to my model and it's very dark. Any help? Is there any way I can see opacity maps in viewport?
  • Dynamiks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Never mind! I figured it out :) Thanks anyways for you replies, guys! Good luck
  • Ani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ani
    More Unity stuff...I had posted this in the waywo thread but I guess it really belongs here :icon15:
    Have a play of this at my blog :)

5465911425_f59e84fed2_o.png
  • Leyto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leyto polycounter lvl 7
    Nice pathfinding exercise Ani ! How did you generate reflections ? with specific shader or with mirrored poly objects ?
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i was wondering the same about the reflections, i must have played this for about half an hour the other day with tons of those chicks following me around xD my best guess was flipped models with low alpha!

I get the feeling ive posted in here far too much over the last two days, oh well! finished up a scene i started about a month ago, kinda forgot about it! Looking at it now, there is alot i'd like to redo and i also wanted to render in marmoset which seems to be messing me around, so normal shadeless renders instead, but oh well :) the spirit of what i was going for is still there!

Spam incoming, i do apologise!;
    barbarianarenapic5.jpg
    barbarianarenapic4.jpg

barbarianarenapic3.jpg

barbarianarenapic2.jpg

barbarianarenapic1.jpg
  • Komalrajsingh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Ani: awesome skills>>

@ Snader: Nice car, man. Can I see your UVs without the texture on it?

@ gilesruscoe:Nice scene. Reminds me of HTTYD.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    vancompo.jpg

If you're going to see this small, you can use a few tricks to make the windows look better and use an intersecting cube to do the bumper saving 8 triangles.

Like this:

5473545050_95f2edbf7c_o.png
  • Harmalarm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harmalarm polycounter lvl 12
    Snader wrote: »

And I finished my car. A Volvo 440 DL, in exactly 440 triangles.
    volvo440.png
    Texture completely handpixeled, too - though I just noticed the proportions of the doors are off, urgh... The undercarriage is completely made up btw, couldn't find any reference for it.

Anyway, this car shows what I means about straight unwrap. Most of the lines are completely straight on the texture, which means it looks pretty decent even at high resolution. For instance compare the front windshield (which has straightened, slightly stretched UV's) with the side windows (which are at too extreme angles to straighten).

I instantly recognized the Dutch license plate. :) Very nice work on the unwrap and the texture itself. I like what you did the with symmetry; there is no polygonal symmetry line on the hood which saves you two or three poly's, but the texture still works great the way you applied it.
    The slight diffuse line on the inside of the mud caps is a nice detail.

I do think, for the sake of realism, the texture could use a little more highlighting, or reflection. But perhaps you were trying to keep it a little more cartoony?
  • shaka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shaka polycounter lvl 7
    This is an update on my "VIP" list. Working on it...i hope to have it finished by tonight. Around 420 triangles.
    kanye_printscreen_01.jpg
  • jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vancompo.jpg

paradise.engineering

I have to ask it. Is there any reason why the UV space for the wheels so small with all that blank space around it? Or were you going for that look.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimmypopali - I've asked myself the same question, and I think it is so all the pixels are the same size

Harmalarm - thanks. I've tried to get some reflections and edge highlights in, but in the end the soft shading looked much nicer. Besides, one of the refs I was using (we sold our 440 a couple of years back) actually was that matte.

volvo_440_a1247512215b2846818.jpg
    And no ours never was that dirty.

I generally try to have the middle polygons not mirrored, because a relatively small amount of texture can drastically improve how not-mirrored something looks. A car isn't a very good example of that though. But you can see it a bit in the effect the grille/license plates have. On characters, having an assymetrical belt, row of buttons, a patch on one side of the chest - those things can make a huge difference.

volvo440.png
    Tweaks:
    -fixed the proportion issues
    -gave the windows a more consistent slope (2,2,2,2 px for the front, 2,1,2,1 for the rear)
    -gave the rear window a bit more space to get square texels and add some lines
    -tweaked a bunch of smaller things such as the window trimming, rear lights and bumpers

Komalrajsingh -sure: here's the UV's with a very light overlay so you can find stuff easier.
    volvo440_unwrap.png
    I know the roof could be done with a single pixel wide strip, but this way I can add a pinch more detail, and it leaves the option for a sunroof. Also, this was made halfway through the last tweaking round so it's not entirely accurate anymore.
  • shaka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shaka polycounter lvl 7
    And i guess it's done. I might get back to it, but for now, i have a plane to catch and a vacation in Rome. :D

kanye_printscreen_04.jpg
  • drelectro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    drelectro polycounter lvl 8
    @shaka: nice dude! maybe put some white to his shoes?
    btw. not the best season to visit rome ;-(
  • Komalrajsingh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Snader: Thanks allot.. ^^ that is a great help for me.
    @ shaka: Nice model.

N does anyone know how to render like the maya view port? The shading information makes the model look like crap.. :(
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If the viewport look is what you want, just use PrintScreen. It's how I render (almost) all my work.
  • Komalrajsingh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I rendered it with toon Shading. Alpha doesn't show up in viewport. >.< Anyway, here's my new vechile.

Rolls Royce:
    2q8q0le.jpg

and texture:
    672k2u.png

Tris: 555
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I stumbled across this while working on the Death knight mini comp. I was not alone in the frustration with Maya's inability to render proper alphas in the view port.

This "MAY" help you too.

1. Create two identical shader nodes in the Hypershade, the only difference being that one has an alpha map and the other does not.

2. Apply the normal shader to anything that does not use an alpha and the Alpha shader to anything that does use alpha's.

3. Within the attribute editor for the alpha map go to the "Colour Balance" tab and change the "Default Colour" to black and turn on "Alpha Is Luminance"

4. Swith the Maya view port to High quality render and enjoy the results.

Here are some pic's that I hope will help visually.

I have found that this works for me and I hope it will help others.

Cheers.

Duncan Fraser.

http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6442

edit: also, could you give some wires of that last car? It looks lower poly than 555, maybe I can help you spot some places to save tris. Those textures are pretty huge BTW, any reason for combining lowpoly with large textures? Is it for a Flash app?
  • paradise.engineering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paradise.engineering polycounter lvl 11
    Buppy wrote: »
    o. Cheers blud. Nice van, I'd like to see one in orange. (The best ones are orange). I'd like to see it a bit higher poly but, thats just preference.

Also now I want to make a van.

haha, that's a cool retro van!
    great stuff submitted these days
    I rendered it with toon Shading. Alpha doesn't show up in viewport. >.< Anyway, here's my new vechile.

Rolls Royce:
    2q8q0le.jpg

and texture:
    672k2u.png

Tris: 555

this is perfect

This is a model i've done at request on my site
    monkey%2Bd%2Bgarp.png
    1258 tri; 1 texture 512x512
  • kiril0t
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kiril0t polycounter lvl 12
  • Komalrajsingh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure, here's the wire. I may be adding more tris to it. N no it's for personal project. Though i'd just make it big :p.

Here's the wireframe:
    28cos50.jpg

@ paradise.engineering: nice model.
    @ kiril0t: nice ..
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    caroptimize.png
    red can be cut, green should replace them. purple can go as well, though they can be used to mirror if you think you don't have enough texture space (my advice: at ~500tris, a 256² is plenty.)

topleft is a mockup of how I'd make the headlights (the weird colors is so you can understand the shape) and they're 26 triangles a pop.

Doing this should at least give you 9 or 10 sides on the tires, I think, and possibly some detail elsewhere.
  • 3Dragon
  • Buppy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kiril0t wrote: »
    grab.jpg

I like where this is headed. Whats it for?
  • kiril0t
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kiril0t polycounter lvl 12
    Its an Iphone game, should be out in a few weeks, will be free, Its an endless running game, shhhhhh. Glad you like it!
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    I re-textured this environment for a friend's Nokia N8 game. He's going to GDC next week to present the game, hope that helps somehow!

ff_beforeafter.jpg
  • ToothyMang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really like the environment Minotaur, and the choice of colors.
  • CactusFantastico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CactusFantastico polycounter lvl 12
    wip_07.png

low poly army man im making. need to improve it alot more
  • Zafio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zafio polycounter lvl 12
    Hi Guys,

Do you think 5 hours is too much time for a model like this?:
    bob.jpg

P.S.:I tried to post on general forums, but for some reason the post doesn't appear :o
  • CactusFantastico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is weird, i'm modeling this as general practice and you posted the model right after me haha

looking really really good i have along way to go still obviously :P
  • Zafio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zafio polycounter lvl 12
    Looks like we applied for the same offer :)
  • CactusFantastico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha indeed but now im disheartened because i can't compete to yours D:
    i'll still finsh it atleast haha
  • Zafio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zafio polycounter lvl 12
    That's the spirit, don't give up! :)
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cactus - Sure you can, he didn't make any props, the textures are a bit muddy still and he forgot the tattoo.

Zafio - 5 hours sounds fine, it's a bit faster than I am, I think. If could do with a pinch more polish (read above) but it's good enough for ingame.

It's also in this thread:
    rGWCl.jpg
  • CactusFantastico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    how many people did they try to recruit hahaha xD
  • tbaugher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mailsheet.jpgmailsheet.jpg

Hey guys. I just finished this up. It's my first real low poly/hand painted prop.
    430 Tris
    256x256 Texture

The concept i worked from can be found here http://www.warhammeronline.com/conceptart/conceptArt_2007.php in the middle of the the "July 26" group.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Lots cause I did It too :).
    me2.jpg
    I didn't know what was going on with his upper lip so I put "teeth". I forgot tattoo as well.

Now I am not so distraught over showing It off, hope you guys hit that verts count cause this one is spot on the mark (& tested). Nice work guys also Zafio very nicely done!

By the way, can you post flats zafio not the wire frames the texture I got to see what you did It came out crispy! Also 5 hours is great but will be expected if you get the job. :) There maybe a way to get away with adding more objects but I had a hard time getting what I wanted with the limited rules, thats why I am surprised to see zafio's version so crisp.
  • Zafio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zafio polycounter lvl 12
    Man, Angry Mob guys would be pleased to know how famous Guerrilla Bob has become here :D

$!nz: I'm not sure what does crisp mean exactly, but maybe it has something to do with the texture being a 512² in that shot? Here is a shot with 256²:
    bob256.jpg