Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LOW-POLY ART

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hawken polycounter lvl 19
This is the sweet spot for your low-poly models. Post 'em if you've got 'em!

Low-poly hasn't really been a requirement in the games industry for a long while now. This thread is for low-poly art style appreciation, so please take note of these rough guidelines:
  • Keep models under 1,000 triangles.
  • Scenes are fine, if all models are low poly.
Some dedicated low-poly modelling tools now exist that make this art style a lot easier to produce; Crocotile3D & Blockbench

Here's a handy list of ways to make your art look right in mainstream 3D software: Low-Poly Art Style Guide

Replies

• woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha so good nicely done ivars!

slaught thats badass!
  • zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    We should have a contest about that. Low-poly strippers. Tasteful, of course.
  • Lionx_Dagger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    knight:
    aa77b05d53.png
    61 vertex
    86 tris
    texture 64x64 for body and texture 32x64 for (sword + shield)

i still need to learn :p especially on making textures for objects , this one was made in ms paint
  • Kessler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kessler polycounter lvl 17
    WOW that is the lowest poly thing that I have seen in ages! GJ
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    Ivars, those tits are gross.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars apply jiggle modifier!
  • Valkrist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know how I missed this before, its pretty cool for your first go Valkrist. I think the proportions need a bit of tweaking because its a little awkward at the moment, like its not quite chibi but still has that large head.

True.
    In the beginning it was supposed to be chibi. Then i gave the body some realistic proportions. So i made the head bigger to force some chibi style in it.
    Oh and thanks.

lowpolycharcompare.jpg

PS: the pipe dancing polys are cool. But i think the right arm could use some more life.

PS2: i love my "PoportioMs"
  • Celes
  • Dave_W
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave_W polycounter lvl 7
    My first post so be gentle :)

superman.jpg

510 tris. 1x 256*256 texture.

Looking back at it, the texels (?) look quite big on the shield compared to everything else.
  • Master_v12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ivars Don't know whether to drop that in my low poly art folder or my.... other folder :)
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9skulls polycounter lvl 13
    Valkrist Proportiomnomnoms! I dig your color theme!

Celes That's one fugly dog :D Model seems solid and texture looks good, but there seems to be slight distortion under his throat, distortion by skin-modifier?

Master_v12 Dude! Where's your low-poly p0rn folder? Don't tell me you don't have one!
  • Mr_Drayton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr_Drayton polycounter lvl 14
    9skulls wrote: »
    Dude! Where's your low-poly p0rn folder? Don't tell me you don't have one!
    Gosh, this is crazy! May I tell you I don't have one too? :P

Anyway, someone said (time ago) that likes low-poly tracks? Here it is one of my tracks, an old one that I made for a failed (sigh) NDS project. This is one of my first creations at all, in fact it's not very well done and maybe I was not completely aware of DS capabilities. Also, some textures of the buildings are misplaced because I changed them recently. This track should count about 4000 polys (WTF), but it was made to be cutted in some little parts.

[ame="http://www.metacafe.com/watch/4216952/3d_ds_low_poly_futuristic_racetrack/"]3D DS Low-Poly Futuristic Race Track[/ame]
  • chanfan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys! I haven't posted here before, but since I have a passion for lowpoly stuff I thought I should post some of my creations. These guys are for a personal project of mine:
    fantasy_warrior_turntable.gif
    tigerman_turntable.gif
    warriorprincess_turntable.gif
    skeletonwarriorturntable.gif
    They are all 500 tris or less, with 512x512 diffuse maps!
  • OzMa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really good job chanfan! Love that sexy rogue with shiny ass :P
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr_Drayton Haha that's awesome, speed really takes me on! I almost flew off my chair :D
  • chanfan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! Yeah sure, here are pictures of the characters, with wireframe and textures. (Sorry for the huge image)
    fantasygang.jpg
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you're the man, damn it! get these into some kind of engine and have them fight :D
  • chanfan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    e-freak wrote: »
    you're the man, damn it! get these into some kind of engine and have them fight :D
    Haha thanks! Yeah that's my plan! :poly108:
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    Looks like she has a pimple on her butt.
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks guys!
    And thanks for all the usefull input Valkrist and kaptainkernal. I will keep that in mind as I finish it up.
    LEViATHAN: That's plastic for ya :)
    achillesian: I have jiggle bones in there for that extra bounce.

chanfan those are great! I really dig the skeleton. Beautiful.
  • chanfan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ivars

Haha yeah, jiggle bones FTW! My warrior princess has got one aswell! :poly142:
  • premium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    premium polycounter lvl 13
    knight:
    aa77b05d53.png
    61 vertex
    86 tris
    texture 64x64 for body and texture 32x64 for (sword + shield)

i still need to learn :p especially on making textures for objects , this one was made in ms paint

He man! :D I am making that style characters for my game... =D
    previewsaestais.jpg
    actually this is old pic. Now the textures are updated, but still not finished, so I have nothing to show you yet :>
  • Lionx_Dagger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Kessler thx
    @chanfan Awesome works :)
    @premium seams I'm not the only one :p

new work, atm without textures.
    crash bandicoot:
    crash02.gif
    vertex:255
    tris:471
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    Mr_Drayton Thats some nice work, really full environment, i really like the use of spotlights to fill in the skyline
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Lionx_Dagger Cool, is he the evil (the dumb one) brother of Crash Bandicoot?
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    chanfan, that is just awesome. :D

286 tris, 256 texture, wip/doodle

chick-head-1.jpg
  • Mr_Drayton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK: wow, she is very nice! I like her. :)
    MikeF and 9skulls: thanks for your comments, I'm happy you liked it! :)

Here you are another sneak-peek of that abandoned racing game. This was a short presentation video including 2 tracks (one is the same I posted before).

[ame="http://www.metacafe.com/watch/4219943/nds_futuristic_racing_project_teaser/"]DS Futuristic Racing Project[/ame]

Uhm, I'm going to join to the lowpoly stripper with THIS model of mine, at least until the new one is ready... Warning, absolutely NSFW link!
    Ah-hem, it was a model for a "particular" NDS project (still working on it)... Hair was missing because I haven't finished it yet! :P
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    thats a shame it got abandoned, really like what i'm seeing.
    How did you achieve the tunnel getting really bright until the end rite before exiting into the open? like a fake hdr type effect almost
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    MikeF wrote: »
    How did you achieve the tunnel getting really bright until the end rite before exiting into the open? like a fake hdr type effect almost

From what I'm seeing, it's a bunch of semitransparent planes behind each other so the bloom gradually fades out.
  • Mr_Drayton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF wrote: »
    Thanks MikeF! ^^
    Eeh... I would like tho crash my head against the nearest wall because of this, fast futuristic racing games are something I really love to create and play
    But this was a commercial project, and there weren't any publisher interested on this... And it looks like it's the same for homebrew coders...
  • chanfan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    itismario, well my only tip is to practice! Look at texturing tutorials online etc. One thing I learned, while doing those fantasy characters was to add an ambient color as the final step to "bind" it all together. In my case here it's purple (blend mode: color, 8% opacity). Try it, it gives a better finish to the texture.

I like your Spawn character, he looks very cartoony, almost cellshaded! Two things comes to my mind! Raise the chest just a bit, and the muscles in his thighs are looking a bit wierd. You should look at these pictures for reference:
    http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa117/turelhimvampire/Anatomy.jpg
    http://www.fitnessatlantic.com/images/exercises/leg_muscles.jpg

Lionx_Dagger, Thank you very much! Your Bandicoot is looking cool, almost like the real thing! :D

LoTekK, Thanks, your female is comming along nicely aswell! ;D

Oh, I'm thinking of joining in on this stripper thingy! ^w^b
  • Lionx_Dagger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9skulls wrote: »
    @Lionx_Dagger Cool, is he the evil (the dumb one) brother of Crash Bandicoot?
    unfortunately no :( it supposed to be crash him self
    chanfan wrote: »
    Lionx_Dagger, Thank you very much! Your Bandicoot is looking cool, almost like the real thing! :D
    you welcome, and thanks to :)

final version of my crash Bandicoot :
    crashtex.png
    crend.gif

tris and poli with no hang
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    Hmmm... the odd thing about your crash bandicoot is that it is hunched over and has a neck. If you google some pictures of him, youll notice that he doesnt even have a neck, but his head is kind of jammed into his body.

Lots of cool stuff in this thread lately, hope to see more low poly lovin'!!!
  • Kraken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraken interpolator
    Here is my modeling and texturing practicing. I made some retopology work but still have more than 500 tris.
    mushroomt.jpg
  • Mr_Drayton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Kraken: nice start! I would like to suggest some points where you can lower a lot the polycount!

- The stairs: I think they could be fine just being flat (without being half-divided).
    - The door: there's no need to have a 3D handle and 3D border: you may just bake them on the texture! Also, get rid of that vertical subdivision, you really won't notice the difference!
    - The front hole: same as above, just bake it on the texure.
    - The window: the window-sill (or however you call it, I'm not English, hehe) may have some polygons less, I think.
    - The chimney: you may try to have a pentagonal or maybe square base for it... Also, just compenetrate it on the roof, so you don't have to subdivide that poly where the chimney is attached to!
    - The overall shape: you can erase a good number of quads and have the silhouette look almost like the original model, without loss of visual appearance! You may also want to add some weight to that branch on the left, to make it more consistent.

Try it first, then, after you have those fixes done, you may try to enhance the texture! ;)
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For a gov website about stuff that is being placed in the dutch landscape. The site will actually be in 3d (so its not for a render or anything).

energency.png

It might look like a vertex paint but everything in this scene uses the same single 256x16 gradient texture! :poly128:
    House: 28 tris
    Trees: 76 tris
    Windmill: 130 tris
    Cow: 350 tris
    Antenna: 350 tris
    Landscape: 200 tris
  • Mr_Drayton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How nice! :D
    I think it will be nice with some pastel shade colors (always using gradients), but I think that it will be the gov website to choose. :)
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    is this going to be augmented reality piece like the ones ge did?
  • Squiggly_P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Squiggly_P polycounter lvl 11
    Man, I've gotta say that the last several pages of this thread have been freakin phenomenal. I remember a while back it could go for days without getting a post, but the last couple of weeks it's been flooded with awesome stuff.

It just makes me so happy :D
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @mr-drayton thanks! I was thinking about adding some shadows in myself :P Expect an update soon! ;)

@willy-wilson No not augmented reality, its basically a static 3d moel with some simple animations, and viewer get more info as they hover/click over one of the objects in the landscape. Its still a wip sofar :) What is the 'ge' you are talking about?
  • Mr_Drayton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have to agree with Squiggly_P, latest pages on this topic are full of life and impressive works. This thread is the main reason I joined the forum, it's exactly what I was searching for! :D

@Kwakkie: great, with colors shades I think it will be a nice piece of web thing! :D One thing I noticed though, the antenna waves are currently backface culled, I think they may look better if two-sided. ;)

Okay, I want to scare you with this abominable lowpoly human model comparsion, between the first one I ever made and the last one I'm woriking on... D: Obviously the one on the right is the latest! :poly142:

senzatitolo1ws.jpg

BWAAAAAH!!! :poly115:
  • NeoDement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello there, I've been holding off on posting/registering forever since you guys scare me with how quickly you can knock out amazing models. However, this thread looked like the least scary place to start so I'm posting a WIP model here:

littlesis2.jpg

She's my first organic lowpoly model :)

The rendersheet is awful, but hopefully it shows off the wires well enough. What I'm looking for mostly is advice so I can sort out any errors in the wires before I start texturing. Her face is just as much of a WIP as everything else. (as you can see, she has a non-flat nose and an openable mouth. Her eyes kinda suck though, what would be the best way to make them be more "3D" without breaking my polycount? (and hopefully not my UVs, but they're easy enough to redo))

The head on the left is the current res, 512x256 (ish) (blurry as heck tbh)

The head on the right is approximately the final res, about 64x32...

Areas I think need improvement are the hands and joints in the arms and legs, I can do the joints but I'm not really sure what to do about my hands. They look claws.

Everything except the head started life as a cylinder. The head was a geosphere for some reason.

If you REALLY couldn't tell, she's supposed to be a Bioshock 1 style Little Sister (I'm sad if you couldn't tell)

Anyway, my rambling post is coming to an end. Here's some old low poly TF2 work I'm not especially proud of.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/900111/TF2Dispenser.jpg (bad UVs, soz)
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/900111/tf2props.jpg (the hexagon is being contested!)
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/900111/newdispensers.jpg (I think something's mirrored on there but it's the newest render around so...)
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/900111/cp_gravelpit0000.jpg (quite proud of this lot actually, obviously the engineer isn't mine)
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/900111/bufftest.jpg (at this point I got bored of the TF2 lowpoly project)
  • nobunny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New to this stuff :), but eager to learn. Any c& c welcome.
    This is a character i just finished for an iphone game i am working on with some friends. More to follow.

nobunnygremlinv1.jpg

Sorry for the watermark, but since this is for a commercial project i have no choice.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    plugging away at this for scratchbuilt game i'm doing with a good friend
    pilotwips.jpg
  • Cyph3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    Harry wrote: »
    plugging away at this for scratchbuilt game i'm doing with a good friend
    pilotwips.jpg

Looking good, however due to the symmetry I'd get rid of the dark spots under the eye, and the highlight in the goggles.
  • Mr_Drayton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice aviator! Maybe you could keep the highlight on the goggle simply moving it to the center of the lens.

I'm having some problems painting good folds and creases on clothes... Are there any tutorials around? I really can't find anything...
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    @ kwakkie - Nice work, the effect is great, are you animating this too?

@ nobunny - haha- great character, love the goblin speedo's lol. :D

@ dv8ix - what's the texture resolution on that?

WIP Sherman, was gonna be a quick project, but turned to procrastination, plan to make a small scene eventually.

WIP_Sherman_1_by_JohnnySix.jpg

351 Tri, 256^2px diffuse.
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    nobunny wrote: »
    This is a character i just finished for an iphone game i am working on with some friends. More to follow.

nobunnygremlinv1.jpg

Sorry for the watermark, but since this is for a commercial project i have no choice.

Very cool man, looking forward to seeing more! :)
  • MephistonX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MephistonX polycounter lvl 9
    first post - comments appreciated
    this was for a lil forum low poly comp and i got first (sadly of only 3 entry's :P)
    grinchsgdentry.jpg
    the next two are uni projects
    presentationshot.jpg
    presentationshot-1.jpg
  • chanfan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nobunny wrote: »

nobunnygremlinv1.jpg

Looking great! I would love to see the textures a bit sharper and maybe increase the saturation a bit to make it pop more.