Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LOW-POLY ART

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hawken polycounter lvl 19
This is the sweet spot for your low-poly models. Post 'em if you've got 'em!

Low-poly hasn't really been a requirement in the games industry for a long while now. This thread is for low-poly art style appreciation, so please take note of these rough guidelines:
  • Keep models under 1,000 triangles.
  • Scenes are fine, if all models are low poly.
Some dedicated low-poly modelling tools now exist that make this art style a lot easier to produce; Crocotile3D & Blockbench

Here's a handy list of ways to make your art look right in mainstream 3D software: Low-Poly Art Style Guide

Replies

• Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Sweet, thanks renderhjs.
    Rapante wrote: »
    gorgeous Sama. If you want to keep the red hair, I'd go with green clothings, that normally fits quite well

Listen to the man.
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    sama, cool model! I read your news on your website, congrats on everything, sounds like an exciting time of life for you :)
  • HausFly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HausFly polycounter lvl 17
    Cool model sama.van. Could you explain why the face features are floated on top of a base head? Is that done so you can swap out facial expression sheets, or maybe to animate the face overlay polys?
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sama.van polycounter lvl 14
    Wow I finally create a big wave of spam... sorry... X_X

@ Master_v12 :

I'm in Japan now, life is not easy... I don't have pay job... I have job but... But I'm happy... Finally time is rare, to have a familly life add stress for any reason, end of free time, etc...
    But I really like my new life with my familly.

This character was draw for a 2 years ago project on PSP... Kind of attempt... But the project stoped after one month... Theb 2 years after, a friend contact me for a project on Papervision 3D... An 3D engine on flash plateform... then 1k is not welcome.. I asked for less than 500 Poly.

For see more of my work, please wait a little more, I have a lot :D but I wait the release date!!

@ renderhjs :

- Design was made by a Japanese friend he really prefers occidental style :)
    - Leg : Basically it's normal before skinning, isn't it?
    - Skirt : hmm yes I will modify that!
    - Bckground + hair : hmm yes probably... I will try to modify that.

@ Neox : Thanks!

@ Rapante : Haha green clothings are for the next one :)

@ renderhjs : thanks! :) about the color, I really cannot change!

@ hobodactyl :

Thanks! Better event will be for this summer :)... Life is exciting but stressing too...
    Japanese people and system are little bit ... Anyway...

@ HausFly :

Haha how you can see that? did zoom on the picture's pixel? XD!!
    But ye syou right, I wish to create some facial animation . And the other texture part are for body-part work, you'll can change part of the character, etc...

Really thanks to everyone!

I'd only like to say a word about my friend he draw this design.
    His website is : http://takejono.blogspot.com/

He really get a bad experience in his two first to years in the french game company I was before.
    He recently left, and I hope all the best for him if he success his interview for his new job.
    Please give a look to his website and leave a message in english of french for some kind of good feel and give him back the motivation in game industry in France...
    If some people read japanese, you'll find some word about the last day in the comapny.

He is really a great guy.
    Hope everyone will be lucky to work one day with him on a project.

Then another one!

http://www.samavan.com/3D/Takeshi/petit_figure.jpg

samavan_pc_Man_A_A001.jpg
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nkoste polycounter lvl 18
    Great work on those characters sama! I love the first one especially. The second one I feel the texture could be a little more crisp. ...and welcome back!
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    ok this is only JUST over 500 poly and I don't think it warrants its own thread.

edit: fuck, i just realised i said poly again. It's tris.

camelfinished.jpg
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    nice sopwith harry
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    ya, good detail, nice packing!

Man, I really want to make that DS dog fighter we talked about briefly when someone made the DS model viewer. . .
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    that looks realy nice !

but the tires are standing out.. maybe more polys or flat-alpha planes would look better

oh and sama.van.. nice stuff!
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    rollin wrote: »
    that looks realy nice !

but the tires are standing out.. maybe more polys or flat-alpha planes would look better

oh and sama.van.. nice stuff!

I actually made them eight sided since that pic :)

also making this

pilotwip.jpg
    ~160 tris
    256x128
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    Needs a propeller, noob.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    that depends on what we can do with the engine, i made a placeholder alpha one though ;D
  • wretchedgoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wretchedgoat polycounter lvl 8
    hey everyone, i'm new here and was searching through this thread and was really inspired. i took a break from some rigging work and did a low poly version of gunslinger spawn. i'll have pics tomorrow:)
  • Mauricio Cunha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mauricio Cunha polycounter lvl 13
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dunno if it's intended but these smoothing groups hurt :o
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Harry: Nice plane :)

Mauricio Cunha: Cool idea, it looks quite good - however I think you could use the texture space more efficiently... for example just have a single square of "roof tiles" and use it on all the roof parts... same for the walls, where there's no unique detail, just use a repeating small texture instead of unwrapping everything and painting it uniquely.
  • Okt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okt polycounter lvl 19
    Harry: Damn, that plane is awesome, all the detail is wonderful. Totally needs to end up in a 3d flash game mowing down soldiers in fields doing barrel rolls and dive bombing the cattle.
  • wretchedgoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wretchedgoat polycounter lvl 8
    my first post! I've been looking at this forum and i'm glad to finally get something up myself. He's gunslinger spawn, did this in a few hours. I got him just under 500 polys but with the guns he's just over 600. C n C welcome! looking for suggestions on the boots

WIP_1.jpg
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    Okt wrote: »
    Harry: Damn, that plane is awesome, all the detail is wonderful. Totally needs to end up in a 3d flash game mowing down soldiers in fields doing barrel rolls and dive bombing the cattle.

A friend of mine intends to do his first 3d opengl project in conjunction with low poly planes i make :D
  • Mauricio Cunha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MOP,

Thanks for the comments...
    I'll try improve the use of uvmap space

propsenxada.png
    By mcunha98

propspa.png
    By mcunha98
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
  • Mauricio Cunha
  • Chung Wong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chung Wong polycounter lvl 10
    There's some nice work going on in here. I've got a taste for this 500 tris work after the unofficial props challenge. Here's a little leather chair I'm making after seeing Miques work. Just a test normal map at the mo, got a bit annoyed as max destroyed my uvs yet again. But re unwrapped it now. (I'm glad it's a 500 model instead of a 5k one)

Anyway's here goes

Untitled-1-1.jpg
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Mauricio Cunha, the wood you used for that small cart doesn't match the style of the environment you placed it in. The game has higher saturation, hand painted materials. More painting, less google. Also, you could shave a lot of triangles by not intersecting all the boxes of the cart itself.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Mauricio Cunha: I havent commented yet on your stuff here so far mainly because personally I dont like the style direction (comic and off proportions).

still aside from that some things you might consider to improve on:

visuals:
    - smoothing groups: they are often just plain wrong, try to seperate elements that define a different shaded area
    - textures: plain and boring, - maybe try to choose rather colors that harmonize better
    http://images.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&lr=lang_en&client=opera&rls=en&q=harmonizing+colors&start=21&sa=N
    try at least to tweak the photo sources a bit like in color variation and try to avoid colors that are just plain grey, 100% red, green, blue or any other default mspaint color.

geometry:
    - you could use floating geometry to save many many triangles and some shading mud. It basicly means that you merge together multiple opbjects instead of trying to model everything out of 1 object.
    - maybe still check the proportions of the characters- have some reference images of similar styles you want to target
  • Mauricio Cunha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments people, really I like your comments.
    The wood texture used in the last object really dont combine with the enviroment style, maybe, I will paint the texture for combine more.

For me, is very hard to understand when e where use the smooth groups yet. I know this technique recently learning about the Wings3D features, so , I'll improve this tecnnique one day.

Another model, I made:

propsmoinho902.png
    By mcunha98

screenshot20090226b.png
    By mcunha98
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Here is a model I made a few days ago
    bone.jpg
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
  • Cyph3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    Window_1024.jpg

Just a window I knocked up for practise. Never got round to posting it for comments.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Mauricio Cunha:

Why paint all your textures twice? you're wasting time and losing detail on your maps; instead, try copy and pasting UV's of the same parts over each other, like the wheel face - simply have UV's for both sides of it draw from the same texture space. This will give you more room to paint more details as well, so you aren't wasting most of your map. hope this helps.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Some cool work as usual.

Mauricio Cunha, I agree with what others are saying, you are doing more work textureing then necessary. Not only can you use the same tex area for both sides of that wheel but you could also 'fold over' the UV's and only use a half circle of tex to fill the whole thing.

Apart from that you could use 'floating polys' to decrease your polycount ALOT. Floating polys just mean that their verts don't have to connect to surrounding pieces.
    For the wheel you could just use a tube. Then all the 'spikes' or whatever those things that catch water are called can be seperate pieces. Same with the axle in the middle. It can be one cylinder all the way across instead of connecting to the pieces in the middle, that doubles the polys for the axle right there.
    And the thing that holds the axle: The bottom could be a simple cube and the top piece could be a U-shape, that would cut polys down too.

But it's cool to see you doing a full range of props for the level.
  • Mauricio Cunha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh my god !
    Is true, I forget the Virtual Mirror technique for this model in Wings...if I used the Virtual Mirror I went paint only a side of object.....my wrong. Is true, thanks guys, I forget completly !
  • Lionx_Dagger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ghoul :
    179 vertex
    240 face
    zombi2.jpg
    dont know what else to say :p
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    you should put more details on the ghoul texture but its style is kind of funny. What are the maps like?

Also, more of this shit
    aviatikfinished.jpg
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    ooooh, that's your best one yet Harry!
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    yup nice planes harry, would be nice to see some shots without the aliasing in the texture shot
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    great stuff harry!!
  • Squiggly_P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Squiggly_P polycounter lvl 11
    renderhjs wrote: »
    yup nice planes harry, would be nice to see some shots without the aliasing in the texture shot

At first I was like "huh" and then I looked again. I swear to god I read the blurry texture as Depth Of Field blurring. Kinda trippy.
  • okno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Squiggly_P wrote: »
    At first I was like "huh" and then I looked again. I swear to god I read the blurry texture as Depth Of Field blurring. Kinda trippy.

Hah, me too. Especially in the circle.

Btw, Harry, your map is actually at 25%. Sorry to be technical.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    Normal maps in the low poly thread? *shrugs* Next-gen lowpoly!
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nkoste polycounter lvl 18
    Finally finished this bad-boy.

lf505374.jpg

IQE22333.jpg
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    nkoste: cool alien, although i think i prefer the darker, slimier looking ones.

harry: those planes are great! really nice metal painting stuff.
  • Squiggly_P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Squiggly_P polycounter lvl 11
    Character_One_001.jpg

WIP. Trying to get the hang of texturing. Sticking to grey for now.
    He's 394 tri's with a 128
  • Rapante
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rapante polygon
    great style Sqiggly_P, love it to bits!
  • ApprenticeEverything
    Hey, Im pretty new here, but Ive been following this thread for a few months now (in fact, its how I found poly count to begin with.)

Ive seen such amazing work here, so I thought I'd throw my hat in the ring, get some crits ect...
    lowpolypilgrim.png
    No where near the quality of some of this stuff, would you beleive I spent 7 hours on it? anyway keep it up guys this stuff is all great!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    like the shape squiggly
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    nkoste wrote: »
    Finally finished this bad-boy.

lf505374.jpg

IQE22333.jpg

I love this so much
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I really like the low-poly xenomorph interpretation. I'm a big Aliens fan, and this model gets my seal of approval. It's a more stylized interpretation of the creature, but with a low-poly budget that's actually for the best. The Alien is a structurally complex character with an abnormally detailed sillouhette. Capturing it within 500 polys is already a challenge.

The texturing you went for has a bit more "pink" in it than I would like. But that's your call. The actual color scheme for the alient varies from movie to movie. The original Alien was all sleek blacks and browns. The creatures seen in Aliens were very much a deep blue tone. The Alien 3 interpretation went back to black, with a touch of red thrown in. And the Resurrection aliens tended toward green. The tone you went with would probably help the character to stand out better from a dark environment, which would be ideal for a handheld game.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    I used to have SO many Alien toys. Bunch of ridiculous creatures, all colors. Wish I still had them, for modeling reference if not as collector's items. This guy was cool. I like the pinkish texture on yours, but that's me.

The first one I had was the original queen, which came with an alien fetus. In my Easter basket. Memories...