Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LOW-POLY ART

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hawken polycounter lvl 19
This is the sweet spot for your low-poly models. Post 'em if you've got 'em!

Low-poly hasn't really been a requirement in the games industry for a long while now. This thread is for low-poly art style appreciation, so please take note of these rough guidelines:
  • Keep models under 1,000 triangles.
  • Scenes are fine, if all models are low poly.
Some dedicated low-poly modelling tools now exist that make this art style a lot easier to produce; Crocotile3D & Blockbench

Here's a handy list of ways to make your art look right in mainstream 3D software: Low-Poly Art Style Guide

Replies

• Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indecom polycounter lvl 16
    Yea, definitely go with png or gif when you host at photobucket, those formats wont give you any problems with quality loss after upload, unless you have it rescale your images, but they do an okay job with that still.
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisG polycounter lvl 14
    when I tooki the screen grab i just took in into paint as i really couldnt be arsed to wait for phototshop that woulda be it even worse, hurray for lazziness! but yer next time png or gif:)
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heres a little something I did while I waited for crits, i love making things from a cube :)
    I quite like it, inspired by tennis's brillliant models I took a stab at one myself, you never know could get finished!
    screen1.png

.png this time :poly124:
  • Labyrinth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken wrote: »
    A DS will run 1024 triangles per screen at 60 fps.

2048 per screen at 30 fps

etc

nintendo, like other companies, stipulate that a game should run at 60 fps. Except in certain situations.

Sorry Hawken, both of these statements are incorrect.

The DS can render 2048 triangles (after culling) on a ingle screen at 60fps. You can add another 2048 to the scene, or to the other screen at the cost of an additional frame. So 4096 at 30fps, 6144 at 20fps both on a single screen, or 2048 tris on each screen at 30fps. Nor does Nintendo stipulate that a game should run at 60fps.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    screen2-1.png

was just meant to be a quick doodle but im really enjoying it
    coming along nicely i think? any advice would be nice:)

chris
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I think your black lines are to much contrast- lets it look like a msPaint drawing. I would soften those edges using a tinted pink color (like darker).
    Maybe some edge highlighting on the purple chassis as well to give the edges a bit more contrast.
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok thanks will do,

chris
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anti alias thouse lines aswell
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shep, forgive me for my noobiness but how would i go about anti alias the lines?
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    with patience ;-)

i used to do alot of pixel work, and i found the best way was to make the line as thin as possible (say one pixel then another pixel with a gap between each sideways move) then make a few colours between the dark and light values and then add those eto fill in the gaps

will explain with a pic

pixelwork.jpg

the amount of aliasing is dependent on how many colours you are going to use, so keep your schemes simple and you can make smoother maps.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    take the pixel brush,- set its alpha to 50 or less and draw against your aliasing (hard pixel edges) line.
    this is how its usually done automaticly though software:
    anti-aliasing.png

and here manually
    pixderek02.gif
    notice also the fine color gradients - they dont just go darker but change color too
  • Snuggles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snuggles polycounter lvl 17
    Wait a sec guys, Maya likes to blur up textures like this. I don't think it's anti-aliasing as much as Maya (if you're using it, Chrizz,) filtering the image. In the UV window try and poke around and see if you can check "Display Unfiltered."
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    he's not using maya,
    and even in max you can turn off texture filtering in the rendering settigs
  • Snuggles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snuggles polycounter lvl 17
    renderhjs wrote: »
    he's not using maya,
    and even in max you can turn off texture filtering in the rendering settigs

Hey. Don't say I didn't try, Polycount.

Don't say I didn't try.
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys thanks for all the advice it has been a big help, and for the pictures *right click save* straight into my mini tuorial folder:), I will have an update soon, (will edit this post)

thanks
    chris
  • ptoing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made a really quick edit of your flat, no clue if this will fit correctly.

chrizz1racer.png

A few general tips:

- At this res make your textures at targetsize, don't size down, don't sharpen with filters, control every pixel

- Make use of the space you have, you can add lots of little details like rivets and whatnot.

- Try to bring out the shapes with nice highlights around edges to kinda fake bevels with the texture.

- Make sure your colours have enough contrast.

- Try to avoid outlining stuff in black, this in most cases does not help. If you do it make it look like a groove and not just like a black line.

- AA is nothing but approximation. Try to imagine the details at a higher resolution and then think where there would be part of that line of field of colour you are drawing and where it would be full and colour accordinly.
    aaapprox.png

- AA is more about value than it is about colour. This can be helpful if you are restricted in colours on lowspec devices.
    aa_colours.png

Keep it up.
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    screen3-2.png

not the latest but havent taken screen shots of them, ptoing your paint over so a heck of alot better than my texture props to you!, i kinda tooks some of your ideas for it- only really began the front (plan grey annoys me).

everyones reply has gone in a word file :) its all really helpful thanks,

I realsied i should of tiled the texture and made it a 64x64, also how can i set up a ds spec colours in photoshop?

is the anti alias any better?, the picture pixelated slightly in upload

chris

p.s. that small tile on the bottom left is a ds screen size
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    the contrast is imo. still way to strong, just get rid of the black and replace it for example with a dark purple
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DS colour setup- first make a swatch of 32 colours (good colour range for DS can go lower), main colours first then less important ones, then a few between the main ones for AA.
    use these colours to paint with (no using transparcys) then if you save out a gif with exact colours then it should tell say 32, if youve been carefull ;-) the actual format used in games depends on the converter used so it can be different, but this gives you a good start.

and turn the filtering off on your renders
  • ptoing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have no clue how you can set the channel bitdepth in PS, I think it is not possible. In Cosmigo Promotion (which is a app geared towards pixelart and pixelanimation) you can set it to whatever from 2222 RGBA to 8888 RGBA.

Afaik the colours of the DS are 555 RGB, no clue what bitdepth the alpha has, tho.

Also you really should make unfiltered renders or viewportsnaps of that to get a feel what it would look like on the DS.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if i remember correctly I used to use-

256 colours for big textures (rarely used for obvious reasons)
    32 colours for most
    32 colours and 8 colour alpha
    or 8 colours and 32 colour alpha
    or 8 colours

its been 2 years so if im spouting shit feel free to correct me.

you may find this interesting
    http://osart3d.wordpress.com/home-page/porco-rosso-ds/
  • ptoing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeh, just looked it up.
    256 colour textures can have 5bit alpha, and 32 bit textures can have 3 bit alpha. And any othe colourmode can have 1bit alpha.

The DS has some really odd specs.

Some really nice Porco Rosso stuff. Would love to play that.

The only thing that does not work is the rotors, I would just make them some kind of blurry animation with 3 frames or something once they rotate at full speed.
  • Nitro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nitro polycounter lvl 10
    Hey everyone! I've seen some really nice work being posted in this thread, and a lot of useful information being passed around. I noticed a few familiar faces, too (Tennis, Ptoing)!

I figured I'd join in and post a few of my own low poly models and hopefully pick up some tips and pointers along the way. :)

Low_poly_pumpkin_by_supernitro.gif
    First low poly thing I did, so it was very much trial and error for me, hence the simple mesh and dodgy texture!

Low_poly_Ghostbusters_trap_by_supernitro.gif
    Big Ghostbusters fan ;)

Low_poly_Caterkiller_by_supernitro.gif
    Caterkiller from Sonic 1

Buzz_Bomber_by_supernitro.gif
    Buzz Bomber from Sonic 1

Still need to work on my texturing & UV mapping skills, mapping those more organic/spherical shapes is a pain in the arse..
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nicely done nitro, ew i love little turn-arounds
  • Jalechah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jalechah polycounter lvl 17
    i love all the work in this thread! well done guys!
    heres some work im doing for my school project
    bodies are 474 tris, hair styles are 48 and the one spikey style is 58 tris
    sorry if the image is too big
    newhairwire.jpg
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    Nitro, that pumpkin looks dope, any chance of seeing the flat for it?
  • Nitro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nitro polycounter lvl 10
    Nitro, that pumpkin looks dope, any chance of seeing the flat for it?

pumpkint.png

I'd blame the lack of texture space optimisation on the fact it was my first 3d model and texture, but unfortunately my textures are still as unoptimised! ;)
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    big thank you to shep and ptoing help is much appreciated!
    screen4-2.png

renderhjs, dosent look like i changed much but i have worked on making sure there is little or no black in the texture, hope it shows though.

Started work on the back and things

chris
  • ALPHAwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ALPHAwolf polycounter lvl 18
    chrizz1.

looking much better, the glass part is very well done, but turn that filtering off.
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quick question ahlpha wolf, how? :)

im in max btw

chris
  • ALPHAwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ALPHAwolf polycounter lvl 18
    customize >preferences > viewport tab >configure driver > and set texel lookup too Nearest.
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks alhpa wolf,

just a little up date tonight (quater past 12, bollocks college in the morrow haha)
    screen5.png
    THRUSTERS YAYAYAYAYAY

chris
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    canopy needs some AA
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Haven't done any personal stuff in a good while nor anything with a lower res texture so I did this one up tonight based on one of the Warhammer Online concepts. There's definitely some tweaks that need to be done to it still as I think I started to rush it a bit towards the end on the texture.

warhammerSword01.jpg
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    very nice Kovac!
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Low poly succubus replacement for a project i'm doing
    (it's actually a low poly remix of angelyss/dark from OpenArena)
    sucrunlow.gif
    492 triangles, 256x256x8 skin, old Quake MDL format
  • Nitro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nitro polycounter lvl 10
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Kovak- not too far off. Our in-game weapons are something between 300-350 tri & 256x256 texture.
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the compliments guys.

Xeno, happen to have a picture anywhere of that sword? I'd love to see what the released version came out to look like.
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Didn't have as much time tonight so, respectively, I did a barrel. Cocksucker is using a 256 right now but I'm sure it could be halved/sharpened without too much loss.

I also made the mistake of getting into the texturing thinking I could get away with a straight row unwrap, so there's some wicked obvious warping near bends. 144 tris, and I have no idea why the hell my perspective viewport is playing mind tricks on me and making that barrel look all wobbly like in the top right...

warhammerBarrel01.jpg

I wanna make some pumpkins now :(
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry about spamming this thread with my stuff, but im nearing the ends of this now, I just need some advice on what to add to back (the green part) as its abit bland atm, and any other advice would be good.

I hope i have cleared up some of the aa problems
    screen6.png

chris
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    Kovac: I really like those pieces!
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indecom polycounter lvl 16
    Yea Kovac, those are wicked, very nice.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys liked the thread, saw lots of dungeon teams and decided they should have someone to fight...>:)

sauronlowpoly2%20copy.jpg

hope you like it textures arnt too good, lemmie know what you think!

-Woog

ps:srry bout the blown version from before :'[
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    woogity:
    you wasted ~ 70%!!!! screenspace in those screenshots- besides that the models are also very big in the screenshot.
    make it alot smaler- its seriously ridiculous
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac- http://wardata.buffed.de/?i=30344
    <3D-Ansicht> will pop open a mini 3d browser. It's the one handed version of that sword, which means the one you have there is 'supposed' to be a 2 handed sword. So either that's a really big barrel, or your sword is a bit teeny. ^_^
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the words fellas, I hope I can get out early enough to do up another.

Xeno, good find on the direct model, thanks... the released asset is much cooler, especially the pommel (though he/she took a bit out of the sword's curves from the concepts).
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    True. They both share the same texture, so the 1H is just a cropped model fit into a normal sword length. The 2 hander is definitely the curvier one.
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Right on, I'll be sure to switch that sucker up for future shots/revisions.