Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LOW-POLY ART

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hawken polycounter lvl 19
This is the sweet spot for your low-poly models. Post 'em if you've got 'em!

Low-poly hasn't really been a requirement in the games industry for a long while now. This thread is for low-poly art style appreciation, so please take note of these rough guidelines:
  • Keep models under 1,000 triangles.
  • Scenes are fine, if all models are low poly.
Some dedicated low-poly modelling tools now exist that make this art style a lot easier to produce; Crocotile3D & Blockbench

Here's a handy list of ways to make your art look right in mainstream 3D software: Low-Poly Art Style Guide

Replies

• Snuggles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snuggles polycounter lvl 17
    Finally textured up my Koh model. At least, the first version of the texture.

kohwipthumb.jpg

About 496 tri's. Tried to see how absolutely miniscule I could get the texture. Right now it's about 16x32. Now I should probably pump it up to 32x and give the face/pants s'more love.

Also kind of getting some annoying seams, probably from using pixel snap. Dammit.

Keep up the good work, guys, back to lurking for me.
  • Laheen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Laheen polycounter lvl 18
  • dbreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dbreak polycounter lvl 10
    I just dont seem to understand what the big fuss is all about, Like,... I put these models in Gamemaker Engine, and they work fine, run fine, and are fine! And now, Excuse me while i go smoke this joint.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    in the rules of this thread it states that the models can be up to 500 triangles. When you're able to this really low poly stuff, it forces you to consider silhouette, where you need to put polys to have good deformation and generally it forces you to be very very practical/economical. So we do this for fun, and because games for the nintendo ds need lowrez stuff as well. now stop whining :D.
  • dbreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And TO THING PSP WOULD HAVE BEEN A BAD INVESTMENT, GAWD!!!! xD
  • dbreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Snuggles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snuggles polycounter lvl 17
    Rule of the thread is 500 triangles. DS characters have to be pretty tight, and to a degree so do PSP ones.

But even if that weren't the case, going low poly with a limit is, at the very least, an entertaining exercise in control and problem solving. It's like a freakin' puzzle.

So just eat your damn soup.

Laheen, your pokemans are lookin' mighty good there. Hurry up and dollop some textures on those babies, or just send them along so I can. ;P Only note is that Glaceon's back toes look a little too thick. Should be a smidge more petite.
  • Laheen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok.

Left is what I have now, right is what it was before.

I'm basically bored and going through some of my old pokemon models and making them ds/psp specs. I still have more to cut on duskull though~

340 tris right now, 100~200 more tris to cut.

dusklowgz4.png

240 tris now.

dusklow1er7.png
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    dbreak wrote: »
    I just dont seem to understand what the big fuss is all about, Like,... I put these models in Gamemaker Engine, and they work fine, run fine, and are fine! And now, Excuse me while i go smoke this joint.

every tri you don't see is on that level, a wasted triangle, a triangle you should use somewhere else, where it's needed, thats all
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    efficiency in simplicity will bring efficiency with complexity later on. It's like building a house... would you build one without a foundation or would you build it without squaring or leveling the walls?
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys, I suggest we speak in internet memes, so as to truly get through to him.

lol
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    Ur doin' it rong
  • dbreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not everything has to be triangles either!!!
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    At that polycount, it's kind of a necessity. You realize quads are simply two triangles, no? By manually cutting a quad into two triangles, you at least get to choose which way it will tesselate, which is important when you could end up with a convex surface you didn't want.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    in 3ds max you can go "edit triangulation" in the faces mode, so you don't have to triangulate everything. so using ONLY tris is unnecessary imo, but they sure come in handy :D
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    there are engines (like the one I am working with atm.) that support nGons and quads as unique faces but in 90+% of all cases it comes down to the core triangles that your 3d application basicly processes.
    The reason for that is that for applying perspective distortion it usually requires splitting your quads into triangles because of the affine or correct texture mapping
    picmenu3.jpg

apart from the technical reasons its almost a aesthetic way in it self seeing here highly optimized meshes while still pushing out the most that is possible with such a few faces.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    I notice in some cases if the triangle in a quad is cut one way, it distorts the texture more than if it were cut the other way in the max viewports, does this translate to ingame or is it just an illusion? If it does do it in game, why is it so different on a plane that's supposed to be flat?
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    It does translate into games. Whether or not it's very noticeable is another matter. On DS stuff, there's a good chance an incorrect tesselation will show up. Think of the quad as a piece of paper. You place it flat on a desk, it's flat. You hold two diagonally opposite corners in place, and pull the other two corners towards you, it's going to bend in the center. Same goes for 3d quads.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    except they are planar and they don't get perspective distorted in the engine (e.g isometrics)- but that is really rare
  • CannonBlast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Laheen wrote: »
    Ok.

Left is what I have now, right is what it was before.

I'm basically bored and going through some of my old pokemon models and making them ds/psp specs. I still have more to cut on duskull though~

340 tris right now, 100~200 more tris to cut.

dusklowgz4.png

240 tris now.

dusklow1er7.png

Great job! Now I wonder when the heck are they going to make a Pokemon DS game with actual 3D Pokemon!
  • Laheen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Speaking of which.

collectionnk4.png

I've decided to make a little DS scene, a 2v2 pokemon battle, fuck yeah. I've heard the DS can take 2048 per frame, so I figure onscreen each pokemon around ~ 250 tris (lower the better!) and the left over for the environment. (So 1k for pokemon, 1k for environment, basically. Give or take a few tri's.)

Time to texture and make the environment~ (And cut moar tris where I can.)

Start on the stadium.

lolkpa0.png
  • CIgano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    Laheen wrote: »
    I've decided to make a little DS scene, a 2v2 pokemon battle, fuck yeah. I've heard the DS can take 2048 per frame, so I figure onscreen each pokemon around ~ 250 tris (lower the better!) and the left over for the environment. (So 1k for pokemon, 1k for environment, basically. Give or take a few tri's.)

Keep in mind that it's not 2048 tris for the total scene, but 2048 rendered tris. The DS does have backface culling, so backfaces don't count!

If you want a better idea of how many tris you can use, make a selection from the intended camera angle with ignore backfaces on. You'll be able to use a lot more triangles than you think.
  • MartinKDahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinKDahl polycounter lvl 17
    you can double that polycount if you want...
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Laheen, maybe you should check out game-artisans, theyre having a pokemon mini-contest over there right now! Nice work by the way ;)
  • Walruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, first post here =). I'm doing a protoss for fun:

wip1at0.png
    298 tris.

Skinning soon
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    5otcv8.jpg

just a wip right now showing the concept

rocks are hand painted babi
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    tutorial_taxi_flash_screenshot.gif
    example model for a tutorial
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Keep in mind that it's not 2048 tris for the total scene, but 2048 rendered tris. The DS does have backface culling, so backfaces don't count!

If you want a better idea of how many tris you can use, make a selection from the intended camera angle with ignore backfaces on. You'll be able to use a lot more triangles than you think.

A DS will run 1024 triangles per screen at 60 fps.

2048 per screen at 30 fps

etc

nintendo, like other companies, stipulate that a game should run at 60 fps. Except in certain situations.
  • CannonBlast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- wrote: »
    Yar
    His name's Valon
    ValonFinal.png
    Concept (not made by me) is here http://oh8.deviantart.com/art/Valon-KlonoaWarrior-request-74857291

Cool! You posted the character in Project Garnia! I have to say, you did an awesome job!
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    sea harrier in MGS color theme:
    modeling_harrier.gif
  • Spacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey polycounter lvl 18
    renderhjs: Those low poly environments were dope. Makes me want to dust off my little mockup.
    Laheen: Pokemon! =D

Yeah!! Pokemon!!!
    Shaved 400 tri's off my Meowth. Sitting at 493.

kitties_03.jpg
  • Laheen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisG polycounter lvl 14
    2-3.jpg

first half an hour of texturing, hopefully will get it finished (i know of the colour spreading onto other parts of the model)

chris
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    looks like JPEG comression in the texture,- also the noise gives it a 8bit look like early quake models or quake 2 textures. Personally I would get rid of the noise - it doesnt look good.
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the colours are only really a quick base with a metal layer thrown in, and the wear is also just a quciky, just laying down a colour scheme atm. I tihnk the compression and the sharpness filter has pixelated alot more than I thought

chris
  • Pierate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pierate polycounter lvl 15
    boltfinaltex01ei6.png
    Finished this a while ago, just never posted it for some reason.

chrizz1: I agree with renderhjs on the noise, it looks pretty dark aswell but that might just be me.
  • madPXL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    madPXL polycounter lvl 10
    Wow a lot a new things here :)
    very fine renderhjs for your Zelda Flash engine!

so long time without post any stuff, enjoy!

It's Shu from the game Blue Dragon. (because I love Toriyama artworks and I'm playing the game...)

shu.png
    shu_tex.png

tris : 478
    Texture : 128*64 with 32 colors indexed
  • HB_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HB_
    to renderhjs: 84 poly, does your airplane have a bottom ?
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pierate wrote: »
    boltfinaltex01ei6.png
    Finished this a while ago, just never posted it for some reason.

chrizz1: I agree with renderhjs on the noise, it looks pretty dark aswell but that might just be me.

your texture stlye is the kind im aiming for as i realised that by trying to much detail it all goes tits up, i was using a crt screen so maybe that has something to do with it, just looked at it on a tft and boy it dose look dark.

Im re workign the texture as we speak (should that be write?)
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Pierate: I like it,- though I think you could add some more pixel level details like highlights on the bolts or very dense gradients.
    Oh and the default the photoshop background tile is obvious - I recognized it instantly ;)

madPXL professional pixel perfect texture- like always just love the style and colors great work. The face comes out great with the pixel snapping (e.g not blured or random anti-aliased)

HB_ :D no,- jut the top. I did it for a article on Flashkit on how to write 3d engines in flash.
  • HB_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HB_
    Some Aircraft from completely different time periods:
    Bullets Rocket and Lasers would be fun in a lil dogfighting game
    aircraftkopieew3.jpg

aircrafttexku4.jpg

My aim was to keep each one at 120 tris and a 64x64 diffuse + alpha.
    Still more fun at polys than pixels
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3-2.jpg

i like to think its getting better, looks abit like tf2 stuff, or is that just me:poly142:

chris
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    but still very extreme compression, blured with artifacts- not pretty if you ask me. It of course turned out better- the UV map also looks well used but check what's wrong with the compression

HB_ : gradients might do wonders and setting the viewport to flat might get rid of the viewport shading.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like his compression is due to maybe the AO bake? Looks like you did one anyways.
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yer thats probably it, looks better if blander without the bake, not sure why i did one with such a low poly model
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    baking has nothing to do with the compression except the software compresses it which no package does I know.
    Maybe hardware compression on your video card? check your drivers. If its in the texture check what went wrong from the point where you saved or grabed it from your baking engine.
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heres a screen grab without the ao, (colours are changed because I have taken away the ao)

without ao
    4-3.jpg

with ao
    3-2.jpg
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    maybe you just compressed the picture that bad which you uploaded to show it here in the forums.
    on a 2nd look it seems that you used photo bucket who propably uses PHP and the GD library with perhaps a default compreesion ratio of 60% or 70% quality. Esspecially JPEG shows its ugliness with red colors when compressing only the slightest.
    So maybe all the fuzz here is just about the compression in your presentation pictures and not at all inside your textures. Alternative ideas: use PNG or GIF to save, use a different image host,...