Home Stickies

[Technical Talk] - Max Plugins

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.illusioncatalyst.com/index.html
    Modeling, skeleton, and animation tools.

Thanks to bitmap for pointing this one out!
  • IxenonI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IxenonI interpolator
    Is there a smart edge loop / edge ring script, that doesnt crash?
    (Select Start loop edge, select end loop edge, push button, the script selects the edges in between the selected edges)
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The older free Orionflame does this pretty well. Haven't tried it in more recent versions of Max though.
    http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/orionflame

I think LSD (Loop Select/Deselect) does this as well, can't remember. It does a great job of highlighting/selecting edgeloops/rings though.
    http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/lsd
  • IxenonI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IxenonI interpolator
    Thanks Eric, The orionflame stuff rocks!
  • Ooghijmiqtxxa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ooghijmiqtxxa polycounter lvl 17
    Hey guys, I was wondering if there is a plugin or a hidden setting to display grid spacing along the major lines on the grid itself? Here is an example of what I want:

gridjt7.jpg

If anyone can help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it!
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    what software ?
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Since this is the Max Plugins thread, I'd say Max :P
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't find anything in a quick search of the Help file, nor http://scriptspot.com, nor http://maxplugins.de. You might be able to script your own custom grid object though.
  • Ooghijmiqtxxa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ooghijmiqtxxa polycounter lvl 17
    Oh well, thanks for taking the time to check!
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    Is there a tool or super secret option that displays the material in the material editor based on what I have selected?

I hate going into a scene, seeing a blank material editor and then have to eye drop every damn thing. I just want to change the ID names on things quickly(or maybe there is a tool that just does that, which is fine too)
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    The corners of the material are supposed to lighten up if that material is assigned to your selection.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Murdoc,

Open the Material/Map Browser, and change the "Browse" setting to scene.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a little backward but you could use the material browser (get material, little arrow pointing at a sphere, left side) and set it to "scene" and then use "select by material" on the right side.

It would select the objects in the scene based on the material instead of the other way around but it might work for ya.
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry must have worded my question wrong...

What I want to do is select a peice of geo and then have the material show up in the material editor without any additional steps.

Ex: I have 100 objects with 100 different materials on them and I need to change the material ID name each material; so I need an easy way to do this rather then eye dropping 100 peices of geo just to see the material id name.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We get it, we're suggesting using the existing tools the way they are intended. Because thats what everyone else does, and the chance that someone else came up with a script to work backwards is highly unlikely, but you never know...

To use GET MATERIAL, DOUBLE CLICK on a material in the list, it will load it into the material editor.
    If you set it to scene, it shows you the materials in your scene.
    You can load each material into one slot one after another (it won't be deleted from your scene or over written)
    Then change the mat ID's as needed.

If you need to find out what piece of geometry that material is linked to, use the the select by material.

PS If that didn't drive the point home, my next post will be a video tutorial. Then I'll need your credit card info so I can fly where ever you're at, show you, and then bludgeon you with something painful.
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uh, rudeness detected? I didn't think you got it because it didn't solve the answer I was looking for.

I'm totally willing to do a work around as long as the work around gives me the results I needed, so I tried my best to better explain it.

Maybe I was doing your work around wrong, but the results with it were not at all what I was trying to do.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Humor, not rudeness gotta love the interweb.
    Murdoc wrote: »
    I hate going into a scene, seeing a blank material editor and then have to eye drop every damn thing. I just want to change the ID names on things quickly(or maybe there is a tool that just does that, which is fine too)

So you want to change the Material ID name... quickly?
    Watch this: http://www.vigville.com/GetMaterialForDummies.gif

If you are trying to do something else I apologize...
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    too many woots by four.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    punishment for being dense...
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah that wasn't working for me vig, but thanks for laying it out because it is what I am trying to do; it's just not working on this.

Anyway, I'm a little snappy today so I'll head off the boards and do a reinstall because other oddities have been occuring(corrupting the scene every time I save)
    Thanks for letting me know how it was supposed to be working
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MatKill v1
    A little script I wrote to control materials and wire colors. I got the idea after reading one of Ricks posts (can't find it now).
    I'm sure I'm not the first jr script writer to think of this...

MatKillv1.jpg

Here’s a break down of each button.
    Reset Editor:
    Resets the material editor slots (does not remove materials from your scene)
    Reset Scene:
    Removes all materials from the objects in the scene. (All objects will be the wire color. It’s as if you never applied materials)
    Wire Color:
    Sets the wire of all objects in the scene to the custom color
    Color Swatch:
    Launches the color picker, all custom wire colors come from this picker (defaults to black).
    Mat1 + Wire Color:
    Applies the material in slot 1 and the custom wire color.
    Random Wire Color:
    Left click applies random wire colors to all objects. Right click applies random wire colors to only selected objects.

To install:
    Main Toolbar > MAXScript > Open Script… > High light all the text and drag it into the toolbar to make a button
    <<NEWER VERSION HERE>>
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's cool Vig! Thanks for sharing. You should submit it to Scriptspot too.
  • Okt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okt polycounter lvl 19
    Hey guys, I was wondering if there is a plugin or a hidden setting to display grid spacing along the major lines on the grid itself? Here is an example of what I want:

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/3695/gridjt7.jpg
    If anyone can help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it!

I don't know where I got this from but it was just sitting in a misc script of mine. Should get you in the right direction.
    unregisterRedrawViewsCallback DisplayData

fn DisplayData =
    (
    gw.setTransform(matrix3 1)
    for i = -50 to 50 by 10 do
    (

gw.text [i,0,0] (units.formatValue i) color:red
    	gw.text [0,i,0] (units.formatValue i) color:green
    	gw.text [0,0,i] (units.formatValue i) color:blue
    )
    gw.enlargeUpdateRect #whole
    gw.updateScreen()
    )

registerRedrawViewsCallback DisplayData

• LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    http://www.luxinia.de/index.php/ArtTools/3dsmax

LCSM Unwrapper

/e Just noticed this is by CrazyButcher. ;[

/e2 Does anyone know a way to change the UVW modifier in Max 8+ back to Max 7's?
  • vsai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vassago wrote: »
    Actually, I'm looking for a script that someone posted a while ago, can't remember who though. It allowed you to select multiple objects, then pick another object to be instanced from. This is partiularly handy when placing stinkin' glow objs. Anyone seen this around ?

I have one that was originally done by swami back on the old max forums.. i dont have the original link though..

make instance script

and HI :)
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    wow that was a quote from 2005... lol! :)
    I'll check out that script though, thanks!
  • vsai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol oops. Was just flipping through a few of the stickies :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This lil script sets the pivot to the lowest center point on the mesh, then moves the object to the world zero point. Thanks to Prof getting things started =)
    macroScript ToWorldZero
    category:"VigTools"
    toolTip:"To World Zero"
    buttonText:"Zero"
    --Sets the pivot to the lowest point in a mesh, then center the object to world zero
    (
    if $ != undefined then    
        (
            ResetPivot $
            CenterPivot $
            for i in selection do 
                (
                    i.pivot = [i.pivot.x, i.pivot.y, i.min.z]
                )         
            $.pos = [0,0,0]
        )
    else
        (
            messageBox "Select an object then run this script again." title:"Selection Error" beep:true
        )
    )

If you want to use the script as a button, save this script and run it once from the
    MaxScript Main Menu, it can now be found in:
    Customize > Customize User Interface > Toolbar Tab > Category > VigTools
    Click New
    Give it a name
    Dock the new toolbar some place
    Drag "To World Zero" to an empty spot on any toolbar.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Hey all, went through the list. Im sure I missed it with all the followups since this thread has started.

(Max 9)

A: Looking for a UVW layout previewer that would work with non-square layouts. 2x4 dimensions. I know I can guesstimate 2 squares, and squish the final layout, but getting to work with this realtime would so help. I work with the built in shaders (like the checkerboard which I love to uv testing), and I have a tendency to make further revisions after thinking I am done which means I would have to restretch the layout as well. Not to mention exporting the layout normally is 2X2, which means I have to stretch it in photoshop, so finding the edge of these streched pixels isnt fun.

B: I had it before, and been through so many system reinstalls. It was a tool that allowed.
    -Selecting a edge or polygon and having those vertices being selected in vertice mode.
    -Allowed choosing a polygon or poly loop and automatically splitting the polygon in the middle.
    -Could take a edge loop and copy it along the surface formation between it and the next edge (NOT chamfer).

I don't think it was the orion one, I tried that last night, and though its similar, this one was more direct versus a separate interface.

Edit: Actually now that I think of it, I was working with patches versus polygons. So ok, a tool that would give some of the patch tools above to the polygon tool.

Thanks! :)
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Oxynary: For point A, Max already has this capability (and has for years) - just go into the options in the Unwrap UVW window and change the "render width" and "render height" to a non-square value (say 512 x 256), and the UV window will become non-square, and all your UVs will be compressed appropriately. No excessive manual scaling, or external plugins needed.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, and about the poly stuff...
    - select an edge then Ctrl-click the vertex button.
    - Select two or more adjacent edges and hit Connect.
    - To slide that new edge, use the Connect dialog instead of just the button, and use the Slide spinner. Or, use the Constraints, set to Edge.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Just thought I'd post this here for those that like to render their work in max.

Render Region Tool:
    http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=6&t=480393
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, and about the poly stuff...
    - select an edge then Ctrl-click the vertex button.
    - Select two or more adjacent edges and hit Connect.
    - To slide that new edge, use the Connect dialog instead of just the button, and use the Slide spinner. Or, use the Constraints, set to Edge.
    MoP wrote: »
    Oxynary: For point A, Max already has this capability (and has for years) - just go into the options in the Unwrap UVW window and change the "render width" and "render height" to a non-square value (say 512 x 256), and the UV window will become non-square, and all your UVs will be compressed appropriately. No excessive manual scaling, or external plugins needed.

Hi! My name is Mud!

*goes and hides in corner

In all seriousness though thanks. :)
  • kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    ive seen a script a while ago which only shows the wireframe on the selected object instead of the whole scene, cant find it anymore - so any of you guys heard about it?

hope this will speed up my scene a little, as drawing wireframes reaaaally kills the performance.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    no script. goto viewport properties, "wireframe selected" or something similar.
  • kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    yeah thankies.

-> "display selected with edged faces"
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    I used to have that on all the time, as I like to be able to see the verts & edges and such. But I ended up turning it off, and just using F4 to toggle wireframe all when I wanted.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Well F4 isn't always the best option (too much geo in scene), and if you want to switch it an and off alot can always set it to a hotkey.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    anyone know where i can get a plugin for the realtime shaders in max?

i've been asked to do some mod work for Unreal Tournament 3, and it would make my life a lot easier if i could see in max, how it will look in-game, without having to export/import/wait a year for any textures over 1024* to get into UnrealEd....

so yeah... anyone?
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    try "display material as dx shader"
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    lol, that doesn't display textures anywhere near the same way as unrealed does.
  • kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    first you have to do a shader clone for 3dsmax (if its just a normalmap shader then no problem, there are quite a few out there which are quite similar to the ut stuff) - you can change the material to a dx material, which will be run by the fx shader.

problem is there is no way to get a fx file out of UT - at least thats what i heard.. even if its possible, it probably wont run in 3dsmax without modification of some variables. easiest way to solve this problem is to redo the whole shader in shaderFx which is very much the same as the unreal ed material editor, just guessing that you dont have a shader coder nearby...
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    well i'm sure i can learn to write a shader, i just dunno where to start.

i had heard that some Dev studios already do this though, so i was hoping someone would have the tools ready.

oh well, back to google >_>
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    • Shader FX isn't free but it's very nicely done.
    • mental mill is free but not as well integrated, and still a bit buggy.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Yeah, I second that on shader fx. Not free but worth it really. The interface is easy to use, and like ut3 material editor. I wanted a real time glow, and they have a really great solution for it. by the way, if I could learn it, anyone can.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    got it yesterday, love it.

with mouth...
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Hey guys, I was watching the Ian Joyner Gnomon DVD today and I saw him using a plugin called QuickDirt.

I have seen this before on the web, but never actually in use.

It looks really cool, because its kind of like an AO but you add it as a modifier and can see it real time and change its values to your liking. When your happy with the results you can export it into a texture map.

I know how to create AO with several different programs including Max.

So, I got a hold of the latest version of quickdirt, but its really outdated now, only for max 6.
    It won't run on my version of max (max2009) and I can't even run max 6 on my vista 64 bit machine.

Anyone know of a similar application out there???
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IIRC QuickDirt was vertex-based, but I might be wrong. You could simply render AO into the vertex colors using the Vertex Paint modifier, then use the contrast adjustments in the same modifier. Should get you what you want.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Eric: I am always impressed by how quickly you answer on these questions. Thanks a lot man! Anyways, I think I got the results you were talking about, and its pretty sweet really. I think its the solution I was looking for.

After some playing around (I have never used vertex colors modifier in max) I found that I can go to utilities and "assign vertex colors" if i click the more button. This automatically gets my mesh reacting with the light based on its vertices.

This automatically adds a "Vertex Paint" modifier on the stack, and I can simply adjust the contrast and amout of darkness lightness in the rollout that pops up.

Then to output this in the form of a texture map, I open the render to texture dialgue, and bake a complete map with the specs I need.

[Edit]

Actually I was wrong. It didn't save out the changes I made with vertex shading, it simply did the normal output a complete map would. Rendering to texture doesn't seem to have any effect with this vertexPaint modifier on the stack, when it comes to attempting to save the effects. So I think in the viewport it shows the same kind of results QuickDirt would, only problem now is that I don't know how to export it into a map.

Is this what you meant?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds right, I haven't used vertex color much, the engine where I worked last didn't export it at all. Bobo has a tut on his site about baking vertex color as a base for painting the diffuse.

Edit... actually, there are more light-baking options within the Vertex Paint modifier itself, that utility is older and has less controls. Still might be fine though.