Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Lowpoly elf girl

Replies

• FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    These are all awesome. I'm amazed at how many different looks you can get out of one model. I'd have to say my faves so far are Moose's and Mr_Rockstar's. That battle armour elf looks like she's ready to kick some ass.
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    hmm, really cool so far.
    Everbody in the list:

DHs was a bit unspectecular but nevertheless good. Some highlights may add somethhing to it

Rockstar, very cool idea and good contrasts. You should maybe add a color contrast like blue or something like that to get out of this "muddy" look. Also white highlight would help defining the shaes better.

Tom, good start, a bit too shiny if you ask me. maybe its because im in school right now, and the monitors are horribly calibrated.

mop, good start. generic, but good.

hmm when i find time i maybe contribute something to this thread laugh.gif
  • NuclearTes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NuclearTes polycounter lvl 18
    Great work everyone! Keep it up! If I wasn't working on another skin right now, I would have given it a try aswell.

@Snowfly: I really like how you painted the hair and face. The outfit could still use some more detail, I think, but I like the overall feel to it.

@moose: Great work as allways. wink.gif I think it might look better though, if you added some blue/cyan tones, maybe even a little brown, to the skin to pull everything a little bit more together. You could also give her hair a hint of purple.

@mr_Rockstar: I love your skin. Your skin has a very classic feel to it.

ElysiumGX: I really like the simplicty you're going for design wise, but I think it would look nice, if you added some more wrinkles to the pants in the crotch area for instance. You could also add some wrinkles to her armpits.

@poop: Could you post some renders aswell? I'm very curious how you skin is going to look like on the model. (I can't wrap it around it myself now, because I'm currently at school.) wink.gif

@qubism: Do you know where I can buy that top? I think it would be a great addition to my wardrobe. wink.gif Great work so far. I like her curly hair and big shiny cheeks.

@jeffro: I'm with Mop on this one. I like the idea you're going for though. Green is one of my favorite colors and I really like the nature look.

@Makk: I agree with MoP about the eyes, but I really like the glossy feel her lips have. I think the outfit could use some more highlights and shawdows. But it may just be me, 'cause I love everything shiny and high in contrast. wink.giftongue.gif

@MoP: The face is just great. It really has the gypsy feel to it. I can't wait to see the outfit, when it's finished.
  • Makk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makk polycounter lvl 18
    Well, an update on my lame attempt-
    elfwip2.jpg

Mop: yeah was thinking that about the eyes as well, made em a bit bigger. Hope its an improvement.

Sundance: thanks smile.gif

Tes: I hope you like her new shiny leather arms wink.gif
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    @mop: Great face, and definitly keep the colors... that would make her the first x-mas model of the season wink.gif
  • qubism
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    qubism polycounter lvl 18
    schokoladeflat.jpgschokoladeflat2.jpg
    CHOCLATE!!! and a bit further

oi paul :P yea i was after that kind of look for the face.
    i tried a cool technique for the hair so it was quick and easy. the outfit was just a sketch and i polished it cuz i had no ideas in that moment. however i tried something different since shotgun allways adviced me to put more work in to the concept of the whole thing.

btw i must say i love when the whole pc crowd is skinning one model. allways a pleasure to see what we all can come up with!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Did some real quick tweaks that MoP suggested.

elfgirl02.jpg
  • qubism
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    qubism polycounter lvl 18
    hey jeff. i dont know exactly how u work. maybe u lay out
    all the details and then start shading the whole thing to
    get depth into it. if so nevermind. if not id suggest to get
    some shadows in there.

also u got that shadow from the
    hair. notice something? i do. it doesnt work very well with
    the other shading u did on the flesh. personally i dislike
    it.
    u prolly have just made a pure black ontop of it.
    depending on your tonality id suggest to work with the
    colors u use in the shadows. red or blue i your case its
    reddish as i can tell from the knees.

back to the shading. i see a problem with not shading the
    big shapes first and shading the details first.
    has to do with the light situation. do u know where the
    light is supposed to come from yet? it to be seen not just
    on the overall shade also the details got that little
    highlights that have to go with the light situation. im not
    good at explaining.. well i hope it made a bit sence

further i have to say that u might want to reconsider the
    way u layed out your leaves. its rather busy looking u might
    want to concentrate on simple shapes. maybe bigger leaves
    with accents of small leaves. or some sticks of wood. also u
    can put in some color variation for an autumn look maybe ?
    wink.gif

and makk heres something for u.
    makkoverp.jpg
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    still WIP. small improvements. started on wrinkles. smaller eyes. they were a little TOO big. color adjustments. overlays.

thanks for the help everyone.

emberwip5.jpg
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah I usually try to build up the character slowly. I just have had time to get certain sections done so far. I will start adding shadows in soon. I don't care for the shadow either, I'm going to just make that part of the hair more transparent and make a real light shadow. I like the idea of using red for it though. I'll rework the leaves a bit, they do get a bit jumbled at 256. I will see how bigger ones look instead. I like that idea. Also there is no real light scheme either and that really hurts this.

Thanks for the awesome crit qub. I really appreciate it. I'll rework most of this soon.
  • NuclearTes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Tes: I hope you like her new shiny leather arms wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Yes, I like them very much. I don't think your skin is a lame attempt at all. poly112.gif
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    [ QUOTE ]

btw i must say i love when the whole pc crowd is skinning one model. allways a pleasure to see what we all can come up with!

[/ QUOTE ]

I AGREE!

even if people dont spend a ton of time on a given thing, it is definately a great way to help build the community, and keep everyone on their toes with improvements.

heh i'm going to do another skin after seeing everyone's work, 'sgot me all jazzed up. hoooha!
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    dp_03.jpg

Still plugging away when I get a few minutes break.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    Thought I'd have a go at this, too. Seems like it's been a long while since the community contributed multiple skins to one model. And I've never finished any of mine when we've done it in the past. tongue.gif But this time I will finish! I promise! hehe I need something to waste time on at work anyway. wink.gif

hollowmind_ember_skin.jpg
  • oDD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oDD polycounter lvl 18
    DH_: already looks great, you need to finish it
    Snowfly: Love the face
    everyone is doing a great job

here is my slow and small start

lalka_01.jpg

i got two questions

1. back of the hair is invisble, Why ? because i used the 3ds format and i doesnt store the doble side faces ? or somthing like that ?
    2. We are supossed to make them 256x256 or can we go 512x512 ?
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it's your choice what size texture you want to use. I just used 256 cause this is such a low poly model and I haven't painted a 256 texture in ages, hehe. Feeling a little nostalgia with this one. wink.gif
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man I love this little model, so much fun. 8-)

dp_04.jpg
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    no offense poop, but i think all the body jewellery/tats/whatever is a bit over-done, it makes it look too busy.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    odd, select the hair and turn off backface culling in the properties. max is stupid sometimes.
  • NuclearTes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I've finally decided to skin this model, although I still have lots of other unfinished projects. polytwitch.gif Here's a WIP:

nt-elf.pngnt-elf-skinmap.png
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • JBoskma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JBoskma polycounter lvl 18
    How could I have missed this?! Looks like everybody has missed the community sdk's smile.gif Coll stuff all.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    OMG, Im joining this for sure, yus

MOOSE' DH' ODD I DIG

Pooop u turn the model into a mAN SHAME

b1ll
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    [ QUOTE ]

i got two questions

1. back of the hair is invisble, Why ? because i used the 3ds format and i doesnt store the doble side faces ? or somthing like that ?
    2. We are supossed to make them 256x256 or can we go 512x512 ?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. It's not double-sided, just turn off the backface culling. If I port it to a game, I will write a shader to render those parts on both sides. smirk.gif

2. Feel free to use any resolution you like!
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an update to my skin of her. Think I'm pretty much finished with her although I will take into consideration any crits I get. smile.gif I can't think of a name for her.

Hollowmind_ember_skin_update1.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    OMG BOOBEYES

nice skin hollowmind - i like the gothy netting stuff, and the costume. i think the highlights on her flesh need some more saturation and colour variation though, just to give her a little more "life".
    the hair is really well done, I reckon - nice work there!
    the boots could maybe use a little more design and shading?

Poop: Hmm, I'm not liking yours so much - b1ll is right, the face is really masculine and I don't like that look.
    the hands are great, but the armour on the chest and shoulders doesn't make much sense - how is it attached? also the cloth (or what is it? i can't understand what material that is supposed to be) around her waist and legs looks weird, i think the shadows are too bright and saturated.

NuclearTes: great start, nice pixelly-sharpness, keeps with the style of your previous skins I've seen but looks much more refined and technically accomplished - keep up the good work!

MoP
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP: Thanks for the compliments and the suggestions. smile.gif Here's a quick update. I'm not quite sure what to do with the boots. Footwear has never been a strong point of mine, hehe. I'll have to look up some ref pics sometime later. I've only been working on this skin while I'm at work and it's almost time for me to go home. So anymore updates will have to wait til Monday. smile.gif

Hollowmind_ember_skin_update2.jpg
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits mop. The face is pretty much 100% where I was going with it. I wanted her to look mean, have an angular almost masculine face, and yet still be female. I feel personally that I hit that mark.
    The pants are made out of bubbly transparent vinyl. I am going to go back in and work on them some more as I go, but for this project I really just wanted to go full out saturation do whatever-the-hell I want color and material wise.

Thanks for the feedback, I will definately keep it in mind.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    @Hollowmind: ooo.gif

"stop staring at my boobs"
    "but they're staring back at me"

grin.gif
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elysium: Hehehehehe, good one. smile.gif
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    hollowmind: shes lookin rad! her arms and legs (especially the backs of her legs) may be a little *too* muscular. the detail is nice though, i wouldnt take it all out, but maybe subdue it a little. The knees are rad! smile.gif not feelin the boob eyes though...
  • HotRod2K5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HotRod2K5 polycounter lvl 18
    I rigged her up to the main female skeleton for Unreal Tournament (not 2K3/4). I'm gonna test run her & see if it works out, it'll be temp til DP make custom animations for The UTs for this elf. I'll let you all know how she does ingame.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    hollowmind, how about Eyelene
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Im starting to rough her out here. We'll see where this goes.
    azure.jpg
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking cool scooby, Its got that great ambient shading. Cant wait to see it finished.
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that's nice scoobs. i like that.

can't comment on hollow's all i'm seeing are red X's!
  • timothyd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    timothyd polycounter lvl 18
    1.jpg

Just starting out, nothing anywhere near final yet.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    yeya scoobs that looks sweet... warcraftish and all i like it keep going
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    Nice Tim , i like the skin tones smile.gif keep going !!
  • HotRod2K5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HotRod2K5 polycounter lvl 18
    She works in Unreal Tournament(1999), though the arms had abit of problem, not so noticable now though. The cloth & hair don't move much if any. But that's due to using the normal UT female skeleton.
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mangled Poly polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome skins all!
    Moose, i love those metal designs!
    ben very colorfull way to use that pallete my only crit would be it does get a bit busy in the pants and could be hard to read depending on the type of game....
    hollow: man yous is freaking me out!
    Scooby: great shading man that is turning out stellar
    dark: your little goth girl! tongue.gif
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • SaToSaN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaToSaN polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work poop, I really like the warm texture you gave her, it contrasts well with the skin tone.
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow hollow, that's freaky!

timothyd, nice top.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    Aight poop that looks cool. but I think you might have rushed those boots... or somethin... like everything else is really cool, but the boots are kinda lame looking... I love the legs and the arms and the rest, but the boots... they just don't seem to work very well... maybe try and go for a more standard look for them? like when I look at them it doesn't autmatically register like... OK these are boots, it just looks like ... stuff, know what I'm saying.
  • NuclearTes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are some more progress pictures of my skin:
    nt-elf-skinmap02.png
    nt-elf-preview02.png

@Sundance:[ QUOTE ]
    nice cleavage

[/ QUOTE ]You ol' dirty bastard wink.giflaugh.gif I've just finished her bottom aswell. laugh.gif Thanks for the complement.

@MoP: [ QUOTE ]
    great start, nice pixelly-sharpness, keeps with the style of your previous skins I've seen but looks much more refined and technically accomplished - keep up the good work!

[/ QUOTE ] I'm glad you like it! And about the pixelly-sharpness poly112.gif: Just before I came back to polycount I completed a series of Zodiac Pixel Dolls. It was a good practice for me, I guess. poly120.gif

@Poop: I really like you're skin, but I don't think I like the boots all that much. I think they are a bit hard to read and would look better if you gave them the orange look you see in the rest of your skin.
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lesss of the old thanks tess! i like your skin, coming together well there.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poop: I like the design of the boots but the red color of them does seem to clash with the rest of the skin. Although it does kinda look like you were going for somewhat of a yellow to red gradient look from top to bottom with her clothing. Perhaps if you had the top of the boots fade from orange to red then they would fit better with the rest of her clothing. Really nice skin though. I like the design of her and the detail. Just the color of the boots doesn't quite seem to fit right.

Tes: Nice job so far on her. Great consistency on the design of her clothing and her colors.
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    well i see where poop was going withthe red boots, It looks like a gradiant over the clothes red att the bottom going up to a orange at top, i think it just looks a bit off because its the only bit of clothing with no yellowish highlites, and the red saturation seems a bit difrent than on the other parts of the skin
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was just thinking, since this is such a low-poly and old school model we should make a Half-Life version, too. smile.gif I'd be willing to work on that.