Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Garden Fork

Hi! Its my first time posting here so sorry for any format issues. Anyways, to the point of the post.

Just a quick background, I studied Games Design at University for 3 years and one of my classes was 3D. I have been using 3DS Max for 3 years and although I have made some models and environments I am happy with, I feel like because my course wasn't solely 3D, I am missing some core skills. 

I would like some Feedback on this Garden fork I have started modelling, It's not finished but I have already run into a handful of issues that I am not sure how to solve. 

I should mention all of my modelling is meant for use in Unreal engine.

Here is what I have so far (close ups of problem areas further down). My plan was as follows:

• Model a LP made up of Quads
  • Backup LP, Then add support loops for Turbosmooth
  • Create HP
  • Go back to original LP and optimise topology (triangulation for game engine)
  • Unwrap Optimised LP
  • Bake HP onto LP in substance 
  • Texture LP
  • Import to UE5

This is my usual workflow, I am not sure if its the best way to do things but feel free to criticise that as well as the model. 

I seem understand topology in some areas but not in others. For the most part, I understand where to use more topology and where I can save some faces, but sometimes adding extra topology in a clean way is a struggle for me. For example...

This corner has been an issue for me, I know I need topology here for the curve, but I am not sure how to go about making it clean. I know if its going to a game engine, I could just link them to the vert in the middle of the whole corner and make it a pole, but I need to turbosmooth it before that. If I was to create a pole here, it would cause shading issues. 

I need to learn how to solve issues like this myself, but chamfer corners are generally an issue for me. Most videos I found on the subject either are just making a highpoly model anyways, so they don't have the game engine limitations, or they are making a game asset but aren't going though the baking process. 

If anyone has any advice on this topic, or any useful resources they could share, I would really appreciate it. 

This image is also related to the same issue, other than I tried triangulating it this time. There is some artifacting on the HP when I tested it, but I figured as it is on the bottom and is not that visible, it was acceptable. That being said, I'm not sure if it was the best approach.

I do have some other issues but I think I am going to go off and look into them a bit myself before I ask here. The ones above though I have already attempted to find methods that could assist me, but was struggling a little bit. 

I really appreciate any pointers no matter how small! I've always looked though polycount posts, lurking I suppose, but I'm looking forward to posting and commenting more! 

Replies

• iam717
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 greentooth
    Hi anyone attempting anything similar should look at this sketchbook since it has gone in to more depth than a single post would.

HERE

Posting the link is not to dismiss anyone or feedback to this or any threads, it is actually very helpful to have and review constantly or even i dare say save somehow, OFFLINE.