Home Technical Talk

High to low baking issues, help would be much appreciated

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hi, i'm currently following Eugene Petrov's game ready pistol tutorial and it has been going pretty smoothly up until this point where i have so much of this issue where once I bake the high to low there's a lot of black outlines.

I believe this is because the high is getting to far from my low poly and so the shading isn't working correctly, but I was wondering what the time efficient ways of dealing with this are? Or if there's anything that can help me visualise the limitations of how far apart the high and low can be?

The workflow has been to create the high poly using a Sub-D model for the frame and then continuing with many booleans inside Zbrush, create boolean mesh and then polishing this. Then for the low poly using the same booleans inside of blender and cleaning it up (so really, the mesh should be as close as possible to the high poly).

I have been struggling with figuring out a good solution to this as manually adjusting verts according to the high poly, but this is really time consuming as I have to do it for almost every single edge of the mesh and it doesn't always work as I expect. For the slide I reduced the amount of polishing and it did greatly reduce the amount of black outlines, but they are still there.

Hope this makes sense and i'd really appreciate any tips or guidance here!

Some screenshots of what i'm talking about:

Old version of frame before adjusting

Latest version of the frame with less polishing in ZBrush and manually adjusted some areas to try to fit with HP

Substance Painter High/Low visualisation

As seen in the above photo, the low does go over at some edges, but it seems like such a minimal amount that in my head the high poly should work just make the lighting seem as if there were a bevel.

Cheers

Replies