Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Need Topology Feedback for My Cyborg!

Hi could I give some feedback for this cyborg please? I need topology advice especially around the breast area (the three pieces that make up the breast) Thank you!
Update: I forgot to include the reference concept art for this piece.

Replies

• zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    by marika's tits

you should study more anatomy lol
    I would recommend modeling a female human base mesh first, then use that to create your cyborg. Work on the fundamentals first; shape and structure, then add details later. Topology is the least of your problems right now. You have some intersecting geo with the middle boob and lower boob plate in the lower corner there, and could use more vertical loops on the lower boob plate. The tubes and similar details are too dense.

• Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    if these panels don't deform (e.g. bend) then the topology is not very important as far as animations will be concerned. it could be polygon soup and its not going to effect animations at all.

you'll care about the topology for a few reasons:

does it look weird when bending during animation?
    is it going to be easy to unwrap and work with for texturing needs?
    it is giving the model the silhouette resolution it needs?

if we look at the lower panel we can see that it uses a lot less resolution than the upper chest panel right above it. So if the lower panel has enough resolution then why is the above one so much denser?

if you want to judge if something is good or not you first need to define what the goal of the thing is. Then you can look at each part of it and ask whether or not it contributes meaningfully to the goal.

• Kristine3Dart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros said:
    by marika's tits

you should study more anatomy lol
    I would recommend modeling a female human base mesh first, then use that to create your cyborg. Work on the fundamentals first; shape and structure, then add details later. Topology is the least of your problems right now. You have some intersecting geo with the middle boob and lower boob plate in the lower corner there, and could use more vertical loops on the lower boob plate. The tubes and similar details are too dense.

So here is the original concept art I was just modeling it exactly as the concept. I guess I should have provide this before so can get more feedback based on it. Thanks for the feedback tho!
  • Kristine3Dart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J said:
    if these panels don't deform (e.g. bend) then the topology is not very important as far as animations will be concerned. it could be polygon soup and its not going to effect animations at all.

you'll care about the topology for a few reasons:

does it look weird when bending during animation?
    is it going to be easy to unwrap and work with for texturing needs?
    it is giving the model the silhouette resolution it needs?

if we look at the lower panel we can see that it uses a lot less resolution than the upper chest panel right above it. So if the lower panel has enough resolution then why is the above one so much denser?

if you want to judge if something is good or not you first need to define what the goal of the thing is. Then you can look at each part of it and ask whether or not it contributes meaningfully to the goal.

This is just a still piece not for animation. I provided the original reference concept art above. What areas could I improve, based on the concept art? I want it to look as closely as the concept as possible. Thank you!
  • Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Hi! With organic parts, you could create shape first by meshing primitives together and sculpting, then build your topology on top of the sculpt.

To match the look of the concept more closely, you could search for someone who has a similar face, then use reference photos from different angles. Much success!
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    In order to match the reference more closely, it may help to get a standard human base mesh in there. There are some under Windows > general > content browser IIRC.  Can use it as a guide for the proportions. It looks like the concept is using normal human proportions. The width of your chest is abnormally wide in comparison.

at this point I would not think about topology one bit. just use cubes to block in the shapes and get proportions and shape correct first. You can just duplicate cube around to block it in the same way you would sketch very rough lines in a drawing. If you need a curve then you can use smooth to add a little resolution a cube and then use the sculpting brushes to push and pull it.

Once entire thing is done like that you'll have what is like a rough concept sketch but it will ensure you have the concept matched or not at the high level. Definitely worth getting feedback at that point and iterating many times until its perfect at that stage.

Once that is good then start replacing the big chunky parts with higher detail parts. Since this will not be animated the topology is not a big concern - just keep it simple and only use more resolution in areas where the silhouette requires more detail.