Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Critique - Hard Surface Artist

pixelalp
triangle
Offline / Send Message
pixelalp triangle
Hi everyone!  This is my first post in the forum and a bit excited. In short, I graduated architecture dep. at 2020 and worked in archviz area for 2 years, half of a year as freelancer and 1.5 year in a studio. Then I decided to shift my proficiency to Hard Surface Modeling by creating game-ready assets. For almost a year I am trying to develop my skills as a freelancer by doing various models. Now I'm aiming to apply game studios for full-time works but I don't know that is my portfolio covers what studios look for. I am open to every kind of advices

artstation: https://pixelalp.artstation.com
Sketchfab: https://sketchfab.com/pixelAlp/models

Thank you!

Replies

• zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    you only need 1-4 good pieces in a portfolio to get hired, but I'm seeing 20 meh student pieces and one crossbow with sort of an interesting design but that needs work. I recommend specializing in something that you're most interested in (weapons?), and putting in 110% effort if you're looking for work.

It's a marathon not a sprint, keep it up and good luck, you might find gamejams and indie dev worthwhile
  • pixelalp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelalp triangle
    zetheros said:
    It's a marathon not a sprint

thank you for wise approach
  • zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    np! I'm actually worried I came across as too harsh. Watch more tutorials, be patient & spend more time and care on projects. Definitely look at what your peers are making, and try to figure out how they made it, and why it looks good. You'll have to match or exceed them, because that's where the bar is. You can worry about speed later.
  • pixelalp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelalp triangle
    It was harsh a bit actually but tried to not get personal and faced the main point :+1: started to design something again by having fun, I will update the portfolio 
  • sketchariffic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think this is a really good start! I like the pistol model you made. I was curious about the geometry and modeling - I don't know if it would be more useful to have fewer samples, but show more of the underlying topology of the models you like best. Also, to agree with the comment above about specialization, I'm not sure if showing the animation is a good choice or not. If you want to focus on modeling, I would highlight that and not try to include animation with it. Full disclosure though: I'm a motion designer who is moving into the game art field, so take my advice with a grain of salt. I also know that there are so many job postings out there that want you to wear so many hats, so I totally understand why you would show animation along with modeling and texturing. Keep getting 1% better everyday and you'll do great! :)
  • pixelalp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelalp triangle
    I think this is a really good start! I like the pistol model you made. I was curious about the geometry and modeling - I don't know if it would be more useful to have fewer samples, but show more of the underlying topology of the models you like best. Also, to agree with the comment above about specialization, I'm not sure if showing the animation is a good choice or not. If you want to focus on modeling, I would highlight that and not try to include animation with it. Full disclosure though: I'm a motion designer who is moving into the game art field, so take my advice with a grain of salt. I also know that there are so many job postings out there that want you to wear so many hats, so I totally understand why you would show animation along with modeling and texturing. Keep getting 1% better everyday and you'll do great! :)
    Thank you very much firstly! Pistol model was my first firearm model and I was so excited to show "look I can rig guns" and etc. As you know shifting profession can be confusing but agree on you. I will consider it as a helpful experience and I will replace it with a better model as soon as I have done. I liked your simplified portfolios' effect btw I started to simplfy mine too :) 
  • Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    I'd revise the texture on the pistol before that though. A lot of the wear on the pistol is just everywhere. Focus that wear into the specific locations where it's handled, and have only spot, or story based wear anywhere else.

To show the parts, you can show the model in pieces, and still frames with the slide back.

But as above, fewer pieces with a much higher quality to them. I'm in the middle of culling my portfolio right now and it's hard to do, but you want the maximum impact from your portfolio in 5 seconds, because anyone reviewing applications will only have a short time to look at any portfolios. They won't look through stuff that's only okay.
  • zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    something for you to listen to in the background while you work https://www.youtube.com/@CharacterArtPodcast

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Hey! I agree about having fewer but more polished pieces. Maybe take a look at the Recently hired in aaa? Show us your portfolio! thread to get some portfolio ideas. There's also a portfolio section in the wiki, that might contain some information.

Regarding the work, I think some designs look a tad to simple with patterns looking a bit stamped on top. You could reduce the design aspect for now and focus more on execution by working more off existing designs and also use more references. Check out the bi monthly environment challenge on the forums, there are always some hard surface concepts in the mix.

Keep it up!
  • pixelalp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelalp triangle
    I really want to thank all of you friends and masters for your time that you spared on my work. After first returns I considered my weakspots and as a hardsurface artist I faced that I was weak at the boolean and sculpting workflows. Then decided to model a revolver and tried to develop boolean skills on the roller part and zbrush sculpting for the barrel and wrappings. As @Fabi_G said now I am planning to practice the monthly challange. Do you think the revolver was a good step to start over? @zetheros @sketchariffic @Vertrucio

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/xDe3XW

• zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    well you never have to 'start over', just keep at it, we all used to be beginners. Revolver looks interesting, kind of like something I'd see in Destiny, but I don't know much about modern weapons. I'm sure someone else can give good critique though!
  • Ahsan55
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahsan55 triangle
    Its a nice gun I'll give you that but the engraving gives you no tactical advantage whatsoever...
    Jokes aside

1) This front part is supposed to have a cap and is also suppose to be smaller, and the current size of the hole it looks like its a (terribly designed) double barrel revolver (see Nero's revolver from DMC) and the wireframe is not symmetrical. (that's not really a big issue but I would try to fix it)
    2) The "wrapping" is increasing the polycount without adding much of interest not to mention it is going to cause problems with the holster, it would make for a very poor bayonet and its also hiding some of the engraving work you have done.
    3) Your engraving looks like it was done by hand. Why not make alphas in photoshop then add them onto your hi-poly in Zbrush it would save you alot of effort and you could probably get a better result out of it.
    4) The model has n-gons (if they triangulate properly it won't be a problem but it would be better if it was either quads or tris. (See image)
    5) The part that holds the cylinder is weird look at some reference images and remake it. (see image)
    7) The cylinder release is missing.
    8) Baking issues Not very major but it would look better if fixed.
    9) Issue near the trigger guard.
    The texture could be improved (but since I don't know much about texturing yet you'll have to wait for someone else to critique you on it.)
    If you want to keep the metal wrap thing despite its impracticality I would suggest remaking it like thorns (so that it would at least be harder for opponents to grab the barrel) or making it part of the design and engraving
    Also you may have baked the extractor of the cylinder to the part behind the cylinder 
    I would prefer the model to be made up of as few objects as possible but that's just my own opinion I think.

-reference for thorns and points 1) and 5) 

Its always a good idea to keep a few references at hand so you don't have to guess what a part is supposed to look like but since there aren't many reference images for Korth revolvers I would suggest sticking to the good ol' colt python (which looks pretty identical but has more references available) for the base of your model then add your own modifications later.
    I hope this helped.