Home Technical Talk

How do I fix this texture stretching?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Lifelover polycounter lvl 9

So I've been trying to find a ways to correct this absolutely awful stretching on my model, but I fail no matter what. I'm not sure what is going on - is my topology that terrible or maybe there's something more to be done with my seams?

PS: Please, don't judge me - I'm here to learn and I've met impatient people before where I had to explain that everybody has their beginning...

PS2: Topology-wise, my goal is to stay within very low poly budget. Only the eyes will be animated.

Replies

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter

Hi! You could unwrap different sections separately, like face only, then stitch them together. This way you have more control where the stretching goes. With this unwrap, I would consider to move the stretching from the face to under the chin. Another option would be to split neck/under chin area into a separate island.

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter

there might not be a problem. Try sending model as is to your texturing app and apply textures at the resolution you'll use and then view it in your final rendering environment.

Then, if there is problematic stretching, look for project specific ways to solve the problem. e.g. if there is hair or hat that covers back of head, you can make that long back-of-the-head seam to be more square, thus moving the stretching to unseen part and allowing the prominent parts of face to relax. Or maybe make a slice under the chin, or maybe the character is so small in the game/scene that you could mirror the face and its so small nobody ever notices. It all depends on the end-use of the model.

the principle is that you just try to move the problem to a place its not as noticeable, but you only go to the trouble if you have demonstrably proven that there is a problem (e.g. no guessing before you actually know)

• okidoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okidoki polycounter lvl 2

As mentioned in the other forum: there are stretches.. so what? Just make a quick test with something you really want to have on that face.. ypu properly don't want squares on it 😉 or do you want to have evenly dsitributed beard stubbles on it?

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky

i never really felt that this heatmap was helping much, just as little as way too big checker. i suggest to at least overlay a per pixel checker on top of yours to see the final resoltion at play.