Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Advice on this topology problem? (Converging hard and soft edges)

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
MatCGI polycounter lvl 2

I am trying to create perpendicular edges partway through a square-ish shape. I want one edge to be soft, and the other sharp.

My first attempt:

With this attempt I thought to pull apart the edges on the soft edge, so they diverge away from the hard edge and minimize the issue.

The topology:

The Issue is that I still get a slightly sharpened edge along the top of the object:

My second attempt:

With this attempt I decided to try and terminate the edge loop before it reaches the soft edge, as opposed to pulling it apart to try and minimize the problem.

The topology:

This fixed the sharp edge along the top, but the top edge now indents in an unsavoury way:

I seem to be able to stop the indent by adding support loops along that edge, but that just recreates the problem I had in the first place.

My third attempt:

With this attempt I decided to create edge loops that flow around the front faces, instead of beginning at the hard edge and terminating or being pulled apart at the soft one.

The topology:

The issue is that the geometry looks drastically different due to the different edge flow and 6 edge pole at the point where the hard and soft edge converge. It isn't a bad result, and I will keep this technique in mind when I want to create geometry like this, but it isn't what I am looking for.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Replies