Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[FINISHED] Old fashioned Sewing Machine

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
sirHelix polycounter lvl 5
Hi guys, September starts and with it my return to a project that I had somewhat aside. And I would like to share with you my progress and results. 

I want it to be another level up to my portfolio (especially in the texturing part). I'm not sure if in the end I will make a small diorama with some extra props + a small corner of a room to make it stand out more or if it will be just the sewing machine. I'll see as I finish the machine. 

After all the search for references (luckily I'm making my grandmother's machine, so I have real time references) 

I started with the blockout and now I'm in the final stages of the highpoly. 

I still need to add some screws + work on the wood of the table in zbrush . And I've also made a list of details that I'm going to do with normals in substance. 

And next week I'll start with the low + uvs + bake. 

I would love to get some feedback on these final stages of highpoly, any suggestions or corrections. 

I have used 3dsmax + zbrush. Surely in this project I'll move on to Blender, as my student version of 3dsmax is about to expire, and I think it's about time to start testing it. 

Thank you very much :) 

Replies

• Gikkio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gikkio polycounter lvl 8
    My grandmother had an identical one, I used to play with it as a child then when I was older I used it as a table for the Commodore 64 :) nice job I follow for the texturing
  • sirHelix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gikkio said:
    My grandmother had an identical one, I used to play with it as a child then when I was older I used it as a table for the Commodore 64 :) nice job I follow for the texturing
    is the official sewing machine of grandmas  ;)

Thank u  <3
  • sirHelix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update with zbrush treated wood, screws,bolds and minor adjustaments. I have decided that I am going to make a small setup-diorama  to make it stand out more, but I will do it when i have the first iteration of the machine done.

Highpoly finished, so now it's time for the wonderful world of lowpoly. 

Good week fellas 
  • sirHelix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi again guys ,

so lowpoly done, 45600 tris I will probably try to lower it to 40k, but we'll see later as the bake comes out.

To get the low basically is go to the high and remove the turbosmooth and the extra geometry, I had to retopo some pieces too.

And I have also used for the first time weighted normals together with the smoothing groups, and the truth is that it is a beastly combination to get better results with the low.

example of what it does to take care of the normal (weighted normals) 

Now it's time for UVs + Bake. 

• sirHelix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Big update this time, this is the 2/3rd iteration of texturing that I do. Like the base material and some tweakings and testing with color var, roughness var, custom alphas.

There are some very basic materials that I haven't worked on yet and others that are basically finished. I haven't started to do any rust-dust yet.

If you see any basic texturing errors, let me know, or just any feedback/advice

Thank u guys <3 
  • sirHelix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hii! Last big iteration of texturing. I just need to adjust minor details and correct your feedbacks :) 

I'm going to prepare the set, maybe add some asset dress to upload to artstation, lighting, postpo, etc. 

Getting closer guys, thank you!
  • sirHelix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I just uploaded it to artsation, check it out! 

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/NGxaRq

<3