Home Technical Talk

3DS Max morph animation export to FBX issue

Unc1e
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Unc1e polycounter lvl 3
Hi guys! The situation is: i created the gameover screen animation which contains the characters, animated with skin and whos faces animated with morph, for the game project. This is how it looks in the initial scene and must look in Unity:

I'm trying to transfer this to Unity by exporting it to FBX file by picking the required models and choosing "export selected" in Animation Clips tab of the Game Exporter utility, having Morphs and Skins checkboxes in export options tab checked. So the problem is no matter what i try i always get an FBX either without morph tabs on the exported objects at all or with the tabs but without actual morph animation (as it is in the attached FBX and GIF):

I tried to follow the advices on the same issues and cut/paste skin and morph tabs on the models before exporting them to FBX, but got to nowhere. I thought maybe the problem is in the game exporter and tried to export scene with "export selected to FBX", the result is the same. When importing FBX back to the new scene, 3DS Max issues an errors:

Any help on that would be highly appreciated.

Replies

• monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Unfortunately I've run into 3 different bugs that prevent morphs working from Max. It can be any of these issues.

1. FBX (from Max) doesn't support morph animation in Animation Takes (ie Clips). The Game Exporter uses takes, so the workaround is to export manually through the file menu instead. Change the Exporter to the default Autodesk preset, then choose your animation bake options.

2. If you don't have keyframes, just a static morph pose, then the morphs channel values don't export. So there needs to be keyframes and just a tad bit of movement for the data to be exported. (This is just an over aggressive optimization.)

3. In Unity if they are showing up as Mesh Renderers and not Skinned Mesh Renderers, then the Skin modifier needs to be re-initialized. Just select the modifier, right click and Cut, and paste it back. It should export after that.

Let me know if one of those fixes it.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    So I imported your fbx into Max, set keys for the morph channels. Exported through the file menu, and the expression on the cat and man are working correctly in Unity.
  • Unc1e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unc1e polycounter lvl 3
    monster said:
    So I imported your fbx into Max, set keys for the morph channels. Exported through the file menu, and the expression on the cat and man are working correctly in Unity.
    @monster 
    Thank you so much for the solution and valuable detailed information on the issue, friend! I can't tell how excited i am to try this thing with keyframes as soon as i get to my working PC!