Home Technical Talk

Character Mesh Strange Materials Preview (Help Needed)

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
ChristheLancer97 polycounter lvl 4
Hi, I've been having this weird material issue (which you can see below in the image) with a Character mesh that I've been working on, which seem apparent whenever I export and preview the mesh in Sketchfab and Mixamo. I've attempted to fix the normals (which I have done multiple times throughout the project) and reset xForm etc. But to no avail. I've also reset the Materials on the mesh but it still comes out like this:

It's generally fine when I have it in other 3D software like Blender/SP/Unity, but idk why this is the case with Mixamo and Sketchfab and makes me think there's some kind of error with my model. Here's what it looks like anywhere else without textures and basic materials:

Anybody ever encountered a similar issue or perhaps know if there's a way to fix this? Thanks for your time.

Replies

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Dont know what app you are working with but it looks like a form of auto mapping. Check the model uvs.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    I cant say anything about sketchfab but I dont believe mixamo can handle multiple materials on a model, so it will give strange results. If you are just using it to get some animations to download you don't need to worry about how it looks in the web viewer.
  • ChristheLancer97
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, thanks for the replies. @kanga I have checked the UVs like you recommended, I remember putting them in order in the UV Coordinates previously but they were all clustered up when I checked again. I rearranged the UVs back but I still seem to be getting the same issues regardless.

@Alex Javor That is true, but the mesh itself also seems to be transparent when I import it into Mixamo and won't register any of the bones at all, so It wont process the character at all. An even stranger thing that I noticed, is that when I remove the wings and tail meshes from the character, the entire mesh becomes transparent in Mixamo, when usually it would just be the strange colours appearing.

I dont necessarily need to use Mixamo or Sketchfab, but I'm just worried about the mesh since it seems to look perfectly fine in other software such as Unity and Marmoset. One odd thing that I can point out though, is that the Normals are really stretched out. Ive tried Breaking and Unifying on the Edit Normal modifier in 3DS Max but it still ends up looking really stretched out, no matter what I do (Resetting xForm, reapplying Materials etc.)

This is such an odd occurance, I've never dealt with anything this strange before. I also checked the face orientation on Blender and everything seemed to look fine :((( Any more possible suggestions would be awesome.

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think mixamo or sketchfab are probably supporting multi-tile UV's.

if you upload as fbx i can take a look at it in maya.
  • ChristheLancer97
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Alex Javor that would be super helpful, man. I'll send you a private message of the fbx if that works. 
  • ChristheLancer97
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks like I managed to clear one of these issues out, the seethrough look of the FBX was actually because of the scaling of the mesh. It was too small for Mixamo to handle it seems. I managed to scale things up again but for some reason it still wont process the mesh and the strange mapping is still on. I'm starting to think this is a Normals related issue, because they still wont fix up and are really stretched out still.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I took a look and nothing wrong with the model per se. I think mixamo and sketchfab just aren't supporting multi-materials per fbx. I'd double check the FAQ or write to support for sketchfab though - seems like they ought to.

A couple issues with the model that probably aren't related but I'll note anyway:

Quite a bit of non-manifold and lamina faces. That's usually a problem worth fixing.

UV layout is automatic? It's really chaotic. Usually worth time to work clean and logically - makes texturing easier and requires less resource from the computer to handle.

Multi-tiles : not a problem but be aware of the software you are working in, whether or not it supports this

Scale is non-real world (model is about the size of standard humans shin)

I'm not sure why the normals appear so long but I don't think it makes a difference. I tried to clean the model by import/export as obj, as well as unlocking and averaging normals but that's not doing anything. I'm not expert in this stuff but I think the normal is liike a ray. In other words, it's distance is infinite, the important thing is just it's angle. So the way they are displayed probably doesnt matter. Maybe somebody else can say more about that.
  • JosephIV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JosephIV polycounter lvl 4
    Mmmm. I had similar issues with the textures.
    In my case, it was the baking process in Blender. In fact the issue is present when the low poly model, that need to get the hi poly, have more than 1 material.

You can try in addition, to check for doubles faces/vertex.

Hope Its help you.

• ChristheLancer97
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey @Alex Javor, Thanks for trying it out for me. Actually I never set up the Multi-Tile Material, Im assuming that was automatically generated when importing from Blender to 3DS Max. but I just discovered it now and certain that's whats causing the strange look when importing it into Mixamo. Thanks for that.

I increased the models size to something more real world scale and it decreased the stretched look of the Normals. As for the UVs, Im not sure what you mean by the UV layout being automatic, I had everything manually arranged, but now that I look back at it, It looks like it keeps resetting and clumping everything in together in one UV Coordinate. Normally it should look like the first picture on my 2nd post.

So, I ended up removing the hairs completely and converting the character mesh to an OBJ and looks like the auto-rigger ended up processing it finally. Im thinking the real issue with Mixamo was the limitations on how much geometry data is allowed in an upload, possibly.

Either or, at least I've gotten much closer to an answer now that I know that there isn't any major issues with the mesh which is what I was initially worried about in the first place. I had just never came across a problem like this before. 

Thanks again!
  • ChristheLancer97
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JosephIV from what I managed to find out, theres some kind of automated mapping which rearranges your existing materials from Blender into a Multi- Material when you move across to other 3D software such as 3DS Max. You can edit that in the Slate Material Editor. I dont think I have any double vertices/faces present but I appreciate the help anyway :)
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've uploaded models with more geometry than that to mixamo without issue. I've also uploaded models with multiple materials and it never displays them correctly. You can tell that it only recognizes one material because all others will have the same texture applied.