Home Technical Talk

general texturing-uv question (game assets)

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
goekbenjamin polycounter lvl 4
Is it ok to have "one mesh" and two materials (and 2 uvs oc)?  One mesh like merged together on the edges.

Like "Head + bust" is one mesh, and this mesh has 2 materials and uvs?

Is there a nogo for game assets, in any way?

Replies

• icegodofhungary
    Offline / Send Message
    icegodofhungary interpolator
    From what I understand you want as few materials per object as possible. But two materials per object isn't unheard of. With environment art people seem to use a tiling + trim material for a single object at times. Objects usually have more than 1 UV channel in a game setting so I think that's okay.

If it's a matter of not having enough room for your head and bust to be on the same channel, there are methods around that. I think UDIM textures is the term? It's when you put your UVs outside the 0-1 range so you can fit more unwrapping in one channel. I'm wholly unfamiliar with that but it may point you in the right direction for what you're trying to do.

http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/UDIM

• Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J veteran polycounter
    You can answer the question for yourself by studying the work of professionals. Link is to site that has a lot of models ripped from many of the latest AAA games. Star Wars battlefront 2 models are really nice to study because they include marmoset toolbag render scene and neatly organized folder directories.

Obviously this resource is for study only. I don't believe there is any issue linking it here but if its no-go you still have plenty of options via gumroad and artstation.

short answer - yes you can assign multiple materials to a single mesh island. its standard practice

• goekbenjamin
    Offline / Send Message
    goekbenjamin polycounter lvl 4
    thanks for the response.
    i think udims ar not for games?

@Alex Javor thanks i know that site is super good for study.

i am currently working on a realistic character which does have pants with the same amount of tricount as the "leon kennedy"  from RE2, and some people said this tri count is way to much for pants?! so i am not sure, maybe those are mid-low models for video cut scenes? i am not sure how reliable this source is....

What i did is i split the head from the bust, with different uvs and materials of course (like head_mat, bust_mat)

i think thats ok too when i want to have the head to hve s much uv space as possible right?
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J veteran polycounter
    yep. if there is a large disparity in texel density that might show where the uv seam is so you may need to be strategic where you place it.

you can also find the winning character art entries from artstation competitions, look at the marmoset viewers, and you can find where they split the materials and how big of a texel density difference they had.