Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Medieval Blacksmiths - Looking for Crit!

mwoods94
triangle
Offline / Send Message
mwoods94 triangle
Hi guys! Currently working on a medieval environment for a university assignment, due the 25th. At a point where additions feel like they make no impact so was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction. The brief is basically to just focus on a single composition/image which would be the first below, hence why other areas aren't filled up but any feedback is good feedback :) 
Shot rendered in Unreal Engine

Things I think I might add:
More Tools around the scene, need to
model tongs still
debris on the floor
decals for some more grunge for the walls
perhaps a sword that is currently being worked on, on top of one of the anvils

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    This looks cool! I agree some debris on the floor would help sell it. Maybe also turn down the normal intensity of the floor a bit to see if that looks alright. I feel the scene could use some smaller clutter to give proportion to everything, and debris on the floor might help that.
  • mwoods94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mwoods94 triangle
    Thanks :D Currently just working on some shields to put on display on the walls, then i want to create a unique shield to put infront of an anvil. What sort of debris do you think there would be? Might do some coal and pebbles but I struggle to think of what else I can do
  • mwoods94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mwoods94 triangle
    Here's an update regarding the shields! Just one more shield to go which I would like to put at the foreront to replace the shield leaning on the anvil. This will have more heraldry and look unique, as if a recent work by the blacksmith.

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    I have no idea what sort of debris, but whatever you choose, I'm sure it'll do well :)
  • Sora123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sora123 polycounter lvl 5
    maybi add coal sacks or wood as fuel for the stove? 
  • mwoods94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mwoods94 triangle
    Sora123 said:
    maybi add coal sacks or wood as fuel for the stove? 
    Yeah I can definitely add that around the environment :) Particuarly around the base of the furnace, at the moment Im just finishing my list Hero shield asset and then I need to add chains across the roof to help with the composition a bit.
  • mwoods94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mwoods94 triangle
    Little update! Currently deciding between the position of the last shield, it was going to be a "hero" asset at the front but it is way too distracting, so I've placed it with the other shields in the corner. Let me know what you guys think! :)

orrr

I think I will work on the shield further after the deadline, give it some more researched textures and make it a true hero asset to put on my showreel. Here's a close up of it anywhoo