Home Technical Talk

Getting the right scale across multiple apps

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
I'm using (and prefer) Modo, but I have a project that requires I export from Maya. What is the right equation to get Maya to recognize my Modo FBX files at the right scale. I've tried the typical x100 and x.01 but it must be something else. I've also set both of the in-app units to "inches".

Anybody know the answer to this puzzle?

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Create a 1-unit scale cube, export (double-checking export settings for scale parameters), import (again double-checking settings), and measure. Then tweak export and/or import settings until you achieve parity.
  • gnoop
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    I bet it's something  like Modo writes just digits in fbx file  and Maya think its default fbx cm  instead of inches and re-scale them.     But I have no idea really.  
    But I try to keep unites metric in every ap 
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Gnoop is almost certainly correct 

Fbx as a file format can store your unit settings but you're relying on that information being exported (export settings in modo)  and it being respected on import (import settings in maya)

Working metric makes fixing mismatched scales much easier and I've found using centimetres as a basic unit means you have to do a lot less sums in general
  • JoshWilkinson
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    poopipe said:
    Working metric makes fixing mismatched scales much easier and I've found using centimetres as a basic unit means you have to do a lot less sums in general
    Thanks guys. And ya, if it were up to me I'd be using metric. But the job is using inches in a game engine. That said, there are a whole number of complications from using Imperial metrics and it's so much easier to use metric. 

Figured out the scale though! Had to do some math and set it up in the FBX export settings, but we're good now. Thanks for the help. @Eric Chadwick, great suggestion