Home Technical Talk

[Maya 2018] Tank Treads flip on MASH Curve.

Hello everyone. I've been working on finding a solution to parts of this tread that flip during its rotation (Pic above the sprocket). I had this same problem when it came to creating a tank tread using motion paths(studying from Youtube videos). I found that MASH has been the easiest way with limited issues, but I still have this happen in one area. One way I have been able to somewhat fix this(in some areas) is to add more points to the curve and make some adjustments. However, in this particular area I can't seem to get this to function the way desired. I was curious to know if anyone else has any suggestions?

Replies

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Can't suggest a fix, as I'm not a Maya user but from memory during a test I'd implemented a similar, if not the same workflow so it might be useful to rewind and pinpoint what exactly caused your issue.
    https://youtu.be/4sVKAPNR03k
  • BlueNapalm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sacboi. Thank you so much. This worked. I've actually tried this before but I think I was more uneducated on the process with many failed attempts. Being a so-lo learner takes time, but this for sure has worked and solved my problem. I'm still learning a lot, so I actually don't know what to do next. Is there something else I need to do with the MASH network to finalize it or is it all set? I would like to rig this fully and maybe place into something like Unreal if I ever get that far(after texturing of course). Any pointers on the MASH or is it good?
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    ...Is there something else I need to do with the MASH network to finalize it or is it all set? I would like to rig this fully and maybe place into something like Unreal if I ever get that far(after texturing of course). Any pointers on the MASH or is it good?

Hmm..can't say for sure. It's been a while like 3-4yrs?! since last I'd trialed Maya for a potential short term contract gig using that specific technique in a test piece however here's a few more points of interest related too a MASH network to also bear in mind:

Now I think you'll be better served dropping a line to Mark Dygert he's a mod here at PC and an accomplished RIgger/Animator working with Max, Maya plus Unreal's engine so any pointers in regard to your questions he'll more than have the practical working knowledge/experience answering, besides anything I may likely impart as 'advice' let alone in the least being remotely optimal.

Cheers.