Home Technical Talk

serious 3ds max uvm glitch. need help

So I have my model inside substance painter and have gotten a weird glitch in the mesh which i found to be caused by my UV map but i cant fix it. 3Ds Max wont let me...

Max seems to think that those edges for that one face arent connected but they are... How do i fix this? 
I tried welding the vertices together but it wont connect the lines. I tried deleting the face and re bridging it and setting the smoothing group to the ones around it but its still treated as its own UV Island. 

I had this all working correctly before but needed to repack the UVs to get more out of the maps and now it has this problem even though i didnt change the high or low poly models...

I even took it into RIZOMUV and it wont let me fix it... 

I cant go back to the previous UVs either since they are terrible and needed to be redone.  Someone please help me.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First off, don't use all caps in titles, it's really annoying. Please edit.

Looks like a triangulation problem to me. Collapse the modifier stack, then show the triangulation in Editable Poly, and turn edges as needed. Add a Turn to Poly modifier set to 3. Then export again. 
  • Thanez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanez interpolator
    M8ym8, your UVs aren't the issue. This looks like a triangulation issue due to the concave polygon and the fact that each software is using different triangulation methods, so they give different results. The example below shows two different methods to triangulate a mesh. There are many more.

Different triangulation = different shading = broken smoothing because the smoothing that the normal map was calculated with is different than what it's displayed on. The example to the right changed the shape of the polygon so drastically that it actually broke your UVs.

You can solve this by changing the triangulation in that area to eliminate the concave polygon:

You should also triangulate the lowpoly before baking to make sure this doesn't happen in engine, as it can have it's own separate triangulation algorithm than max, SP, toolbag or any other renderer.
  • rememba_da_name
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much! That fixed it. Now i have a new problem... My high poly magazine is no longer baking on top of the low poly magazine and i never changed names, rotation, or translation. What are my options?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd suggest asking in the Adobe Substance section. (and not in all caps, haha!)