Sketchbook: Wil Hromek

Hello! I am a new member and I wanted to start a sketchbook thread in order to get feedback on my work.

This is my most recent sculpt:

For the body, I used images of Inca mummies and Otzi the iceman, and for the face I used sculpts like this, this and this as reference without trying to copy any one piece directly. I am not entirely satisfied with the current direction this sculpt is heading, and I wanted to get feedback before I moved too much farther.

Replies

  • wHromek
    Additionally, this is my most recent face sculpt from about two months ago:

    For this sculpt I used this photograph as my main reference.
    Here is another recent sculpt I made for an Artstation contest:

    I did not use any photographs or major reference images when sculpting this face (as it was intended to be painted over later), but I feel it is important to include for critique purposes as it is the only sculpt I've textured.

    All these sculpts are created and rendered in zBrush, unless otherwise noted.
  • wHromek
    Over the last month, I've been taking a step back from sculpting to develop a better understanding of hard-surface modeling and rendering. Here is a Marmoset Toolbag render of a suit of armor I made. It's around 30k tris, and still needs some refinement but it was a good exercise in learning to make a more game-ready model.
  • wHromek

    So, for September I've decided to create a character in order to build my portfolio and teach myself Substance painter. After looking at countless troll/ogre sculpts, I've decided to make a female one to stand out a little. Here's a quick Zbrush render of my current work (with a female basemesh included for size/proportion comparison). I've begun by blocking in the muscle and proportions while maintaining accuracy and realism.

    Once I've reached a point where I think the base sculpt is ready, I'll move this character's progress over to the 3D Artwork section.
  • wHromek

    Here is today's improvement over yesterday's sculpt. I decided to focus on better mapping out the muscle forms in order to make sure I had enough mass & definition for the final model. I hope to finish the muscle blockout and add in skin & fat layers by the end of the week so I can move on to the face and detail modeling.
  • wHromek
    Since last week I've smoothed out and finalized the muscle forms and overall silhouette of my character. In order to get a better topography to make the final sculpt easier, I decided to retopologize:

    It's probably too early to do at this current stage, but following through with it was a good learning experience.

    In a similar vein, I've also began to work on the character's overall costume. Since this character is supposed to be a cross between the classic sword-and-sorcery style heroine and a God of War-style giant, she's not going to wear much. Therefore, it was important to iterate as much as possible on the few things she will wear:

    I hope to finish her costume blockout over the next few days.
  • wHromek
    In order to teach myself how to use Substance painter, I modeled a club-like weapon for my character. It was a great way to learn Substance Painter, and it helped me get a better grasp on how to best create UVs for more complicated objects.
    Here is a quick Marmoset render:

    Additional render with wireframe (~1,600 triangles):


  • wHromek
    Only a small update, here's the final design layout for my character:

    These last week I've been working my way through learning zModeler and how to lay out cleaner geometry for Zbrush.
  • wHromek
    Another update on my character project:
    I've remodeled a lot of my initial blockout in order to get better topology, but I feel like progress has been good. I threw on some test colors to make sure the design was balanced. I will most likely do another color pass once the final topology is in place.
  • wHromek
    Small update on the chest armor:

    I think I'm doing some of my modeling inefficiently. I'll try to avoid that while refining the other parts of this character.
  • wHromek
    Another small update on the waist armor:

    I've also began adding more little details like these supplies to better ground the character in reality.
  • wHromek
    Another small update:

    I figured out how to create bandages/wrappings in zBrush so I've began blocking those out for the final hipoly model. I also used some of the feeback on my last weapon to create a new flail weapon as a prop for my final scene.
  • wHromek
    Today I learned how to use the Nanomesh function in zBrush:


    I also began another character project to take advantage of this. I'm trying to decide on whether I should my previous character's armor to better utilize this sort of lamellar armor or if I should work on this new character instead.
  • wHromek
    Another small update:

    I'm moving back and forth between my new character and my old one to make sure armor pieces and props scale correctly between the two. Here is a quick mockup of the scale difference between the two.
Sign In or Register to comment.