Home Career & Education

Differences between the game and film industry?

Super_nova
node
What differences might an artist in the game industry expect compared to one in the film industry.
how ever slight those differences are for example software, art style, pressure, deadlines, etc.

Replies

• sacboi
  • garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    I use to work in the film/vfx industry, for stereoscopic compositing (compositor), and helped out on some indie films (+48 hr films). It's a different world. I don't know about the art styles, it might depend on the movie. I think the pressure and deadlines were there. I'm just looking at it differently, as far as what the end goal is.

A game can take 2-3 years, or maybe more, and in film, maybe less.

In vfx, post-production, we would crunch from one movie to the next, for like 3-6+ months. Another movie's out, on to the next one. Maybe jump on another movie for a little bit, and back on what you're working on. *Separate note, this almost reminds me of game testing or QA.

One of my concerns back then was just the environment. You're surrounded by many that love movies, and chances are someone knows someone who knows someone who's a big deal.

That's probably the same in games, but it was a different vibe I got when I was at Hardsuit Labs, and I missed this in games.. you're surrounded by game developers lol. Sure someone can be a big deal in games, but it's games lol.

• Super_nova
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super_nova node
    I was under the impression that the pace for vfx is one of the most brutal ones out there for a artist...

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I did not enjoy vfx production, just felt under pressure all the time,weird people on the whole , ie people who seem to have
    no joy in ife, with a few noteable  exceptions( one or two companies I worked for were cool ,like keyframe studios and my first stint at taylor james) nexus was ok sometimes, but quite pressurised.
    There seem to be lots of higher up people who serve no real purpose, just sit around chatting and getting in the way of artists
    who they don't seem to really consult.
    division of labour is also weird ie , I can texture and model + do skinweighting but they just had me down as a modeller and that was
    very rigid.
    I preferred games on the whole, seemed a bit more 'artistic'