HairTG - Hair & Fur, procedural hair/fur texture generator - MASTER THREAD

OlivierLau
triangle
Offline / Send Message
OlivierLau triangle
Hair & Fur is hair/fur texture generator for Substance Designer 2019.2 or above, it supports straight/wavy/curly hair, braids, various colorization modes, depth profiles, PBR map outputs, tiling tools and is provided with samples/templates/presets + a 80 pages illustrated User Manual. 

HairTG - Strand
, is a free, limited version of the tool demonstrating some of ifs features, it is now updated to the 2.1 core.

For a list of features and where to get the tool, please check the Hair & Fur website and these posts:
You may also check the Teaser video.

The following tutorial videos are available:
Part 1: SD intro, basic Hair & Fur concepts and output maps
Part 2: Hair & Fur parameters continued
Part 3: Colorization
Part 4: Tiling and map usage in Toolbag and UE4
Part 5: 7 hair design examples

Feel free to use this thread for questions/support!

Replies

• OlivierLau
    Offline / Send Message
    OlivierLau triangle
    I've released a small update addressing a few issues in the 1.2 release, 1.2.1 release notes are the following:

• Updated all graphs to Substance Designer 2019.1.0: make sure to use this version to open the sbs demo files (sbsars are still compatible with the previous version).
    • HairTG – Tiler template graph HairTG-Tiler-demo.sbs has been rebuilt for better organization and performance. There are now visualization nodes at each output of each hair clump as well as resolution reduction before entering into the Tiler nodes which greatly improves performance of the latter. The new graph also outputs a Normal map if needed.
    • All sbsars have now proper icons for showing up into the Library.
    • Tiler packages have been updated so the graph contained into the sbsar package can now be dragged from the Library into a user graph.
    • Documentation update, in particular regarding the new Tiler sample graph.

There are cool new features planned for the coming months for the Hair Clump Tool so stay tuned!
  • OlivierLau
    Offline / Send Message
    OlivierLau triangle
    I am updating this thread for the 2.0 release of Hair & Fur, new name of the Hair Clump Tool. Please check the main post for new video, screens and details!
  • Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo interpolator
    Thanks for updating these threads Olivier. Your works looks very interesting :)
  • OlivierLau
  • OlivierLau
    Offline / Send Message
    OlivierLau triangle

Hair & Fur 2.1 has been released, with Flow map  generation improvements, more Tiler features and tips for hair textures usage in Toolbag and UE4.

• Flow map improvements: better accuracy, simplified and optional filter, better edge management, optional orientated background generation, solid or using dilation.
    • Performance improvements, pattern resolution is also now selectable.
    • Tiler Substances support individual texture rotation and Flow map background generation.
    • Usage instructions for Toolbag and UE4, plus a Toolbag sample scene.
    • A few fixes, details in the Release Notes.

Flow map used in Toolbag to drive anisotropic reflection:

Here are flow map examples with various filtering settings and backgrounds:

Texture rotation in Tiler:

• oraeles77
    Offline / Send Message
    oraeles77 polycounter lvl 2
    what version of SD is it compatible with?
  • OlivierLau
    Offline / Send Message
    OlivierLau triangle
    oraeles77 : this is for Substance Designer 2019.2 (current version), good point I will add this to the description.
  • OlivierLau
    Offline / Send Message
    OlivierLau triangle
    Hair & Fur has now tutorial videos, 4 hours over 5 videos where I cover most aspects of the app, including creation of various hair designs and usage in external applications. This tutorial is friendly with non Substance Designer users, the few concepts to know about it are explained in the introduction and sometimes along the videos as needed.
    Part 1: SD intro, basic Hair & Fur concepts and output maps
    Part 2: Hair & Fur parameters continued
    Part 3: Colorization
    Part 4: Tiling and map usage in Toolbag and UE4
    Part 5: 7 hair design examples
    Enjoy!
  • OlivierLau
    Offline / Send Message
    OlivierLau triangle
    Hey Polycounters (!), quick message to let you know my products including Hair & Fur are 30% off on Gumroad for the Black Friday week until next monday using code blackfriday19. I also recently released two plugins for Substance Designer, Global Search and ParamCopy which can help in your workflow. Check out all these at my Gumroad page!

• OlivierLau
    Offline / Send Message
    OlivierLau triangle
    Here are a few things I am working on and that will come next in an upcoming version of Hair & Fur:
    Infinite Hair in Freestyle mode (i.e. the version of Hair & Fur where you can manipulate control points in the 2D view) is joining the tip and root of each hair strand to make it continuous. This is helpful to design hair buns or any other type of very curvy hair design you don't want to have segmented because of the hair cards geometry. Using stray hair and random lengths, it is possible to mix up infinite hair with non infinite ones as shown in the below video.

Hair & Fur will for the first time include a Substance Designer plugin to help quickly design and set up hair clumps in various manners. The below video shows the automatic tiling graph creation. We open a dialog box from where we define how many hair clumps we want to tile (rows/columns) into a single set of PBR textures, as well as the types of textures we want plus other options, the plugin then creates the tiling graph with the instances of Hair & Fur and the Tiling Substance, all pre-configured. All what's left to do is design the hair clumps!