Homeβ€Ί Technical Talk

QuadRemesher : new auto-retopo plugin for Maya, 3DSMax, ...

Maxime33
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Maxime33 polycounter lvl 7
Hi,
I'm currently making an auto-retopo plugin for Maya and 3DSMax.
I'm looking for few beta-testers. Let me know if you are interested !

I will need your email to create a license key for the test - so just send me a private message with your email.
And let me know if you want to test for 3DSMax or Maya.

-------- NB: The plugins for 3dsMax, Maya and modo are publicly released. --------
Beta testing is closed.
You can download a trial here : https://exoside.com/quadremesher/quadremesher-download/
Many thanks to all guys who helped me!
Beta testing is still open for plugins for Blender, Houdini and C4D....

Replies

• MetinSeven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MetinSeven polycounter lvl 2
    Maxime33 said:
    The procedural approach is definitly on my list for the V2 !
    πŸ‘ Would be great to have a non-destructive solution in Blender as well, although I believe third-party developers are not allowed to add modifiers to Blender, so maybe in a future stage, when the Everything Nodes project has matured, or maybe you can think of a different procedural solution?

The Hide Input option will be welcome too, thanks!
  • Maxime33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arghh... I was planning to do it for Blender as well.
    I hope they will add the ability to make our own modifiers in the future.
    (Whatever it needs to be in python or C/C++)
  • MetinSeven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MetinSeven polycounter lvl 2
    Maxime33 said:
    Arghh... I was planning to do it for Blender as well.
    I hope they will add the ability to make our own modifiers in the future.
    (Whatever it needs to be in python or C/C++)
    You can offer a modifier to be included in Blender, but then it would need to have a general purpose in the first place, not specifically targeted at Quad Remesher. I don't know the ins and outs of Blender's conditions for modifiers though.
  • Setir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, Anyone know how to fix this problem in QUAD REMESHER triangulation?
  • Maxime33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    QuadRemesher should not return triangles in this case. Can you tell me more about how you get these triangles? (which software, which options....).

• PollySong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PollySong polycounter lvl 14
    Does this retain UV's? I'm looking for something that can quickly decimate archviz furniture and props for unreal/unity use, but the I would of course need the UV's intact.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    PollySong said:
    Does this retain UV's? I'm looking for something that can quickly decimate archviz furniture and props for unreal/unity use, but the I would of course need the UV's intact.

I am trying out the demo version and unfortunately it seems the UVs are nuked in the process. However this tool does a pretty damn good job at reducing polies and will save me time even if I have to redo UVs on the new, Quad Remeshed lowpoly.
  • Maxime33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I plan to maintain UVs in the next version of QuadRemesher.
    That said, depending on the input mesh different technics must be used:
    Let's consider your existing UV seams as an edge selection. The big question is:
    In the retopo mesh, can you get edge loops on ALL these UV-seams edges path (of the input mesh)?
    - Case1 : YES!
    Typically a mesh coming from MarvelousDesigner, or a mesh with a relatively good existing topology and UVs.
    In this case, I will be able to maintain UVs. And the textures don't need to be changed.
    - Case2 : NO!
    Typically a mesh coming from scan+automatic UVs or sculpting+autoUVs or a mesh with 'bad/strange' uv seams ...
    In this case, UV map can't be transferred to retopo in a straightforward way. Moreover all textures will need to be modified to be suitable for retopo.

In which cases are you ?

It would help if you could send me some meshes with UVs that you want to retopo while maintaing UVs.

• Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    @Maxime33

I would say a very large portion of game assets I have worked on fit into Case 2. I can send you an OBJ of an example object via email or something for you to test if you'd like.
  • PollySong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PollySong polycounter lvl 14
    Maxime33 said:
    I plan to maintain UVs in the next version of QuadRemesher.
    That said, depending on the input mesh different technics must be used:
    Let's consider your existing UV seams as an edge selection. The big question is:
    In the retopo mesh, can you get edge loops on ALL these UV-seams edges path (of the input mesh)?
    - Case1 : YES!
    Typically a mesh coming from MarvelousDesigner, or a mesh with a relatively good existing topology and UVs.
    In this case, I will be able to maintain UVs. And the textures don't need to be changed.
    - Case2 : NO!
    Typically a mesh coming from scan+automatic UVs or sculpting+autoUVs or a mesh with 'bad/strange' uv seams ...
    In this case, UV map can't be transferred to retopo in a straightforward way. Moreover all textures will need to be modified to be suitable for retopo.

In which cases are you ?

It would help if you could send me some meshes with UVs that you want to retopo while maintaing UVs.

In my case it's a combination of both, since the models can come from many different sources. I won't go back to work for two weeks, but I'll see if I can send you something then.
  • Cactus on Fire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cactus on Fire polycounter lvl 10
    So, I've just bought the quad remesher and I'm using it first time on a fairly simlple mesh made with boolean cuts. It's producing great fast results but I can't seem to tackle these deformations which cause a lot of artifacts when smoothing the mesh. Is there a way to resolve these pinches?

• charlyxxx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    charlyxxx interpolator
    Hi, @Maxime33

Will you add something like this?Β 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5Qq1C3toY0

When we can draw the loops.Β 
  • OccultMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OccultMonk interpolator
    Any update on making this a modifier for 3dsmax? That would make really great!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Does anyone know what the troubleshooting soluton is when you get back an error message in Modo:

"Remeshing Failed! (-3)"?

• motionblur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motionblur polycounter lvl 12

Sorry for bumping such an old thread but it seems that neither Exoside's Twitter nor the website have really been updated sind early 2020. Is this plugin still in development and/or is it on par with the current ZBrush integration when I buy it for Blender, now? 😦

I always get a little paranoid of buying software when I don't know if it will still be usable in a few months or years.

• Reoxur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reoxur polycounter lvl 3

It doesn't have the Guides option so you'll have to use materials as guides

As for development, I guess you can say it's in development hell of the unknown.

• motionblur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Thanks. That actually sounds like a rather good point to keep on using goB as a bridge to ZBrush.

I really hope this project doesn't die down. It's currently the best and fastest Auto Retopo algorithm out there I know of.

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter

A few notes FWIW :

• I can confirm that it isn't dead, as I just re-activated my copy today and it went through instantly. There really is no reason for the website to be updated if it works well and does what it should ...
    • If anything I'd personally trust this vendor more than Maxxon/Zbrush, as Maxxon went through a change of licensing model themselves and are now refusing to authorize some versions of Zbrush and are forcing users to update. Which means that I personally can't use a specific version of Zbrush anymore, even though some pipelines might require it and the newer versions might have regressions (as that has often hapened in the past). As far as I am concerned there is zero excuse for that and they just lost my business - that's 1 (final) strike for Maxxon, whereas there are never been any such issue with Exoside/QuadRemesher.
    • There is also close equivalent to QuadRemesher that ships with Blender called Quadriflow. It's not quite as clean but it is serviceable.
    • Lastly, if QuadRemesher for Blender were to disappear tomorrow ... one can be sure that an alternative would pop up right after.

I hope this helps !

• Maxime33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hi all,

QR is absolutly not a dead product.

1.1 has been released is 2020, 1.2 has been released is 2021 and we continue to work on new features such as making a QR modifier, and keeping UVs...

Some time and effort has been spent on making it available on Linux, and on one new software: Fusion 360.

We hope to release QR 2.0 ending 2022 or beginning 2023.

• motionblur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Ah cool - thanks for the reply.

Do you have any plans on maybe adding some sort of remesher guides to Blender in the future? :)

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666

Hi @pior could you share this tv asset? Id like to test the new maya quadmesher.

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter

Hello @oglu - unfortunately not. But I'd be more than happy to help with other tests.

• bibiboo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bibiboo polycounter lvl 3
    Just wanted to ask if any updates were in the works? The official 3dsmax plugin url on the webpage links to a french purchase page for 3dsmax.

https://exoside.com/quadremesher/
  • Cathodeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cathodeus polycounter lvl 14
    Click on the "buy quadremesher" link it will lead you to the right place.