Home Technical Talk

[ZBrush] Apply alpha along curve

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Lómerel polycounter lvl 2
Hello!

I've search everywhere and I couldn't find the answer to this problem.

I'm trying to apply a stitching alpha on an object following a curve and it doesn't work.

Things I've tried:
1. With standard brush, activate curve mode, draw the curve and click on the curve. If an alpha is not selected, the brush is applied to all the curve, but when I select an alpha, it does nothing.
2. Same as 1, but now I move the curve, the alpha is applied but multiple times on top of each other the more I move the curve.
3. Same as 2, but with drag dot selected. Now the alpha is applied ok, but it doesn't rotate depending on the curve orientation, making the seamless alpha not seamless.

This is a gif to better understand the problem:

This are other older topics about the same issue (some of them linked below), but none of them could resolve the issue I'm facing, and perhaps with newer zbrush versions there is a way to do this.

Replies

• Nizidranamitz
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizidranamitz polycounter lvl 3
    Is lazy mouse not enough? you could also try to create UV for your mesh, export it out of Zbrush (or the app you created Uv in), then create a mask in photoshop that will follow exactly the curve. You could also do a mask that directly represent the pattern in photoshop. Then just import the mask as an alpha in Zbrush and use mask by alpha. Then inflate your mask or sculpt in it.
  • Lómerel
    Offline / Send Message
    Lómerel polycounter lvl 2
    I thought that with lazy mouse I wouldn't be able to follow the pattern when I had to turn the mesh around. By chance I fount out about lazy snap and that was what I ended up using. Turning off tablet mode, I was able to continue the stroke were I left it perfectly. Sadly I still don't have enough practice with the tablet so the lines are a bit wobbly haha.

I'm still learning how to do UVs, that's why I was looking for other methods, but I'll try that too! Thank you for your response :smile:
  • ceen
    Offline / Send Message
    ceen polycounter lvl 4
    Lómerel this is bothering me as well. I will need that feature (or missing feaure if you want) a lot...it must be somehow possible to have an alpha drawing along a curve, right?
  • ceen
    Offline / Send Message
    ceen polycounter lvl 4
    Lómerel this is bothering me as well. I will need that feature (or missing feaure if you want) a lot...it must be somehow possible to have an alpha drawing along a curve, right?