I found a fun looking concept
by Mikhail Rakhmatullin
that I wanted to start working on. I'd like to learn some new things and challenge myself with this guy, so here goes nothin.
Since this fancy man and his little chihuahua aren't super complex, I'm also hoping to:
- practice and improve my anatomy (stylized but not over-the-top exaggerated);
- finally attempt to make some low poly hair cards;
- create a flow map for some anisotropic hair shaders;
- create some blend shapes (ZBrush > Maya) for a few facial expressions;
- make a full body rig (maybe minus the face) so I don't have to stick with one or two poses;
- create the main part of the jacket in Marvelous Designer;
- get that fancy-shouldered jacket to deform with some type of cloth simulation physics in Maya;
These are things that I think
I have a basic understanding of, but I haven't put them to use on a full-bodied character yet. I'm sure I'll run into a some road bumps along the way, but I would really appreciate any advice or suggestions if anything looks way off.
Here's the orthographic that I put together to try and get his proportions working without the jacket.
I started out block modeling in Maya and worked on the forms in ZBrush. I've been using some stylized anatomy sheets to focus on some main shapes and connections, but I'll go back to check some more realistic stuff to compare and adjust. I'm definitely not an anatomy expert so would be grateful for any critiques or suggestions as I try to get things looking right.
His chest and arms will be covered with the jacket but I'd still like to get some working anatomy all around before I cover him up. His pants are pretty tight so I'll really want the definition in the legs to show through. I hoping I can make something really fun with this concept and I'll try to keep the updates coming whenever I'm able!