Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[GAME] We who are about to Die! (+ video inside)

Replies

• Highelf
    Offline / Send Message
    Highelf polycounter lvl 11
    I added lots of new animation & combat system features to We who are about to Die, here's one! Really adds even more depth to the fights.

• Highelf
    Offline / Send Message
    Grand stadium part 1- blockout :)

• Highelf
    Offline / Send Message

Grand Stadium update - still a mess, but progress!

• Highelf
    Offline / Send Message

Here's update 3 on the grand stadium :)

And a sketch for a possible loading screen:

(needs more work)

• Highelf
    Offline / Send Message
    Making of the grand stadium level!

Also opened a discord for the game, feel free to pop in and idle or chat :)

• Highelf
    Offline / Send Message

Final on the Grand Stadium:

Also - 
    ​​​​​​​
    1 - Dat feel when you design a combat system that generates unplanned combos, like doing the right input for a twirl plus the right attack direction yields a faster attack and so a stronger hit! This actually works. And I never intended it to.

2 - Have a listen to one of the AMAZING tracks made for the game by my good friend Marius Schlichting. Seriously. Listen. It's amazing. This especially makes the game "real" for me. So good. Also enjoy the semi-dancing twirl gif to go with the music 

https://soundcloud.com/…/whe-who-are-about-to-die-battle-tr…

PLEASE give some props to Marius. That track is so spot on with my vision for the combat music, I can barely believe it.

I redid the UI entirely. Here is the new career menu UI!

Feedback very welcome

• Highelf
    Offline / Send Message
    Made a little training area for my game  Sparring arena and all!

Now to add functionality. The visuals are still rough but will be polished later.
    The idea of this place is to provide consequence-free sparring whenever you want, and also act as a tutorial.

I need to still figure out how to do the tutorials. I'd like to involve the fighting dummies, like maybe have each one represent a "feature" of the combat or related tip.

Designing a tutorial that isn't completely shitty, immersion breaking, and that not everyone will skip will be hard. I know I'm a tutorial skipper, for example. I make it a point to try to figure out the game without a tut, so I want to encourage that.
    At the very least I will never force the player to do the tutorial at any time; I'll just let them play the game immediately and have the tutorial level be available at any time.

Any ideas? What has been the best tutorial in a game in your experience, and why?

[img]https://i.imgur.com/guMZUnV.jpg[/img]
  • Highelf
    Offline / Send Message

Basic dialog boxes with tips as the tutorial :) Super non-invasive and totally optional.
    ​​​​​​​I also made the dummies targetable and hittable!
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Mount and Blade had a pretty good training grounds setup were you could spare with your party to both get practice as a player but also grind xp for leveling the player character and the party. 

What's the platform for this game? Is it mobile?
  • Highelf
    Offline / Send Message

We who are about to Die has officially gone out of alpha and into beta. (aka alpha 1.0 or beta 0.0) This makes the exhausted game-dev happy. I split development into 4 major cycles/updates, 2 for alpha. 2 for beta. Now 2 are totally done and already parts of update 3! I would say the game is about 65% done.

Now comes a big playtesting round. I need dedicated playtesters who want to try a very unfinished game, can elaborate why they like or dislike parts of the game. Are willing to write about the experience and report bugs or try to break the game. Roguelike players, melee combat game players, game designers or developers or modders are encouraged but not a must. Hang out in the discord for more info in the following week or 2 weeks. I'm prepping the playtest build at the moment.

www.discord.gg/eCdUxht

Feel free to share this info if you wanna help out even more :)
  • Highelf
    Offline / Send Message
    You don't think I'd make a gladiator game without the audience launching random weapons and items into the arena sometimes, right? (Especially now that item picking up & dropping is in the game)

So I wrote a little "launcher" script!
    Making great progress the last few days

• Highelf
    Offline / Send Message

Now that you can pick up and drop any weapon/shield in the game, SHOWER ME WITH GEAR YASSS

• HarlequinWerewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequinWerewolf polycounter
    Ahh yes! Love this system! I'm hoping as soon as I graduate I can maybe get on that sweet playtester list :wink:

• Highelf
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you! Be sure to join the discord group for that :)

Deathscreen animation with score, rank and stats! Let me know your rank ideas :) (stuff like larvae, sewer rat, pit slave, .... , lord of the arena, grand champion, demigod)

• Highelf
    Offline / Send Message
    Content sprint part 1 & 2!

Did 4 armor sets total, they are actually all textured already and 1 already working in-game, but I'll show the process step by step in parts :) This is the second model I made. Tomorrow I'll post the other 2 models and the basic colour block in.

• Highelf
    Offline / Send Message
    Content sprint part 3! 2 more models and a basic colour block in done :) Not that exciting yet but it's taking shape here! Tomorrow I'll post the textured versions!

• Highelf
    Offline / Send Message
    Content sprint part 4! Oh hey, it's 2 of the 4 armors textured. Pretty happy with these considering how much corner-cutting stuff I did to save tons of time  I modelled and UV wrapped, textured (incl normal map) AND skinned them all in 3 days total. The skinning (for those who know and hate that) especially is very specific to my game so that gets even more technical and time consuming. So 3 days is pretty good imo.

• Highelf
    Offline / Send Message
    Content sprint 5! More armors! Textured :)
    And look, some complimentary new weapons. Made wooden and copper variations too.
    I named the sword "type" Daka's and Kromo's. Can you guess which design is which name? I'm trying to go with a gut feeling kinda name that "fits" :)

Leaving for the ardennes tomorrow so no posts for a while.

• Highelf
    Offline / Send Message
  • Olingova
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    Nice update on the crowd!! Glad you came back on posting about the game here :D
  • Highelf
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm happy at least someone is keeping an eye on it :) makes it worth it.

Added 6 new hats and helmets to my game over the course of the last few days. Here's one of them! For those who recognise the design - this one is inspired by the first game dev (modding) experience I ever had - adding the lotr high elven warrior sets to Mount & Blade.  I couldn't make a game without an ode to that, so a similar helmet and sword (not seen here) is in the game!

• Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    I've been following!
  • Highelf
    Offline / Send Message
    Join discord to apply for a free beta playtester key!

• Highelf
    Offline / Send Message

Totally redid AI the last weeks. AI can now throw weapons at ye, among many other new moves.