Home Contests & Challenges Archives Hexels Contest Forum

Marmoset Presents: Cubed - WAYWO

Please use this thread to post work in progress images of your entries.

Replies

• BurtPoly
    Offline / Send Message
    BurtPoly polycounter lvl 2
      A work in progress. Messing around with the background. Any suggestions would be appreciated! 
  • refraction
    Offline / Send Message
    refraction polycounter lvl 10
    WIP - Learning the program with this scene from Castlevania.

• bcarter
    Offline / Send Message
    bcarter polycounter lvl 5
    Nice work Burtpoly - I like the minimalistic look! Good start on the Castlevania scene too Refraction.

My WIP/blockout to get a feeling for the program and what I want to do with the scene:

• GrimWillows
    the progression video for my submitted 'THE LAST OF US - Mark Knight' image.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=illQAk5JZEw
  • EarthQuake
    the progression video for my submitted 'THE LAST OF US - Mark Knight' image.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=illQAk5JZEw
    Way cool!
  • Port-Seven
    Offline / Send Message
    Port-Seven polycounter lvl 7
    Tested this program out tonight for a few hours, it's quite nice and straight forward to use. I made some tiles trying to mimic the colours of Darksiders so I think I'll keep going and see if this turns out. :)

• MrsNomingtons
    Offline / Send Message
    MrsNomingtons polycounter lvl 11
    Love seeing all of these. Very inspiring :smiley:

• bcarter
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work @GrimWillows! If you don't mind I have a question - Did you do all of yours in one Hexels scene? Or did you composite multiple scenes together in Photoshop? And what resolution were you working on? I feel like I'm having trouble making smaller details because of the grid size, and I can't subdivide anymore unless I change the resolution. It looks like you have a nice mixture of larger pieces (background buildings), and smaller detail (people/no parking sign). Thanks!
  • GrimWillows
    bcarter said:
    Nice work @GrimWillows! If you don't mind I have a question - Did you do all of yours in one Hexels scene? Or did you composite multiple scenes together in Photoshop? And what resolution were you working on? I feel like I'm having trouble making smaller details because of the grid size, and I can't subdivide anymore unless I change the resolution. It looks like you have a nice mixture of larger pieces (background buildings), and smaller detail (people/no parking sign). Thanks!
    The only composite in photoshop is the parking sign text everything else is entirely on the same canvas at the same scale. i just use lots of layers. in my video - the only reason i did not show the 'horse and characters' layer was for it to have more impact in the 'final image' reveal.

The image above shows that my scale was based entirely upon a brick being 3 squares across. i used different grid styles to create smaller details on the same canvas.
    The actual scale of the parking sign is shown as it appears before i re-scaled it in photoshop. it is not possible to create writing at a smaller scale in hexels and working at a crazy huge resolution to accommodate text size would cause you a lot of problems.
    The image also shows the 'horse and characters' layer - so you can see they are the same scale as the rest of the image. thanks :)
  • bcarter
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much for your breakdown, that definitely helps! :smile:
  • NitroBA
    Offline / Send Message
    NitroBA polycounter lvl 2
    This is my progress so far! Portal is my favourite game and I think it would look great isometric, tell me what you think.

• ElGregos
    Offline / Send Message
    ElGregos vertex
    NitroBA said:
    This is my progress so far! Portal is my favourite game and I think it would look great isometric, tell me what you think.

Awww I wanted to make the same game, I'm glad I didn't even start! :) Great game indeed, and your design seems on the good track.
  • NitroBA
    Offline / Send Message
    NitroBA polycounter lvl 2
    ElGregos said:
    NitroBA said:

Awww I wanted to make the same game, I'm glad I didn't even start! :) Great game indeed, and your design seems on the good track.
    Don't let me stop you create something portal related art! Its a big game with lots you could show
  • GrimWillows
    a progression video for my submitted 'ELDER SCROLLS V : SKYRIM - Mark Knight' picture.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAP091f6NxU
  • RuiShi
    Offline / Send Message
    RuiShi polycounter lvl 4
    My rough thumbnail so far, Im going to be doing Ecco the Dolphin! 

• Joebewon
    Offline / Send Message
    Joebewon polycounter lvl 12
    Man, there are some awesome WIPS happening in here already!
    Here's where I'm at with mine! 

And obviously, if anyone has any crits feel free to throw them my way. 
    Looking forward to everyone's progress! :pleased:
  • RuiShi
    Offline / Send Message
    RuiShi polycounter lvl 4
    Looking killer @joebewon! will you add a little glow to the lights around the room? 
    Small update on Ecco, sorting out the scene, organising moving bits and started a sprite sheet :>

• GrimWillows
    RuiShi said:
    Looking killer @joebewon! will you add a little glow to the lights around the room? 
    Small update on Ecco, sorting out the scene, organising moving bits and started a sprite sheet :>

that surface water looks great! something i just cannot get right.
  • GrimWillows
    currently working on 'Broforce'. taken a while to get the style pinned down - going for a 'plastic' kind of look. struggling with the trees at the moment.
    Here's a montage of Work in progress. highlighting 2D Rambro and Brommando to isometric.
  • EarthQuake
    All of these are great, love seeing the progress so far guys, keep it up!
  • RuiShi
    Offline / Send Message
    RuiShi polycounter lvl 4
    JOEBEWON! will you ad a little glow to the lights around the room? 

• Joebewon
    Offline / Send Message
    RUISHI! Thanks!
    Yeah, I've still got a lot left to go! But, i plan on adding some nice lighting to the scene!

Lovin' your sprites so far!
    :proud:
  • bcarter
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work everyone!! 
    Update on my Firewatch themed room, still have a bit of detail to add, and a basic exterior as well. 

Does anyone know if there is a way to influence the way the way the outlines layer on top of each other? I'm having some troubles getting the lines to overlap how I'd like them to.

• GrimWillows
    bcarter said:
    Nice work everyone!! 
    Update on my Firewatch themed room, still have a bit of detail to add, and a basic exterior as well. 

Does anyone know if there is a way to influence the way the way the outlines layer on top of each other? I'm having some troubles getting the lines to overlap how I'd like them to.

Looking good sofar :) i have problems with layering lines too. It mostly works if you create your outline on a new layer. Once you are happy with it - merge down into the layer below. Then create a new layer and start your new outline. If your line tool wont work at all then create the line elsewhere, on the same layer, then drag it across to where you want it. Hope this helps.
  • Nolt
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    I'm working on getting some details in. I need to redo some of the lighting. Everything is a bit bright, need some darker areas. Is there an ability to use like a Multiply on a layer? I'm not seeing anything like that. Oh, and using Destiny for my inspiration.

• EarthQuake
    9thKnight said:
    I'm working on getting some details in. I need to redo some of the lighting. Everything is a bit bright, need some darker areas. Is there an ability to use like a Multiply on a layer? I'm not seeing anything like that. Oh, and using Destiny for my inspiration.

We don't have support for blend modes like multiply, but this is something we're working on for a future version. You can save out a layered PSD and change your layer to multiply, but thats not a very good work around if you want to go back and forth.
  • Nolt
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    @EarthQuake ah thanks! Still getting used to the software so I'm sure I'll figure out something.
  • GhostDetector
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    PacMan
    Has anyone been having trouble using the outline paint tool?  It always starts to bug out.  (It starts a few grid spaces after the initial click.)

Is it allowed to use an outside program to compile assets created in hexels?
  • kmactastic
    Offline / Send Message
    kmactastic polycounter lvl 8
    GHOSTBUSTER: Pacman is a hilarious idea LMAO. I have had some bugginess too. Maybe try zooming in further when starting your line? Also they said you can use whatever program you want as long as you are mostly using hexels. (at least that is what I got form it)

Okay, so I have tried pixel art a couple times but always failed in that I give up. This time I will follow through! I read up more on it and used TERIYAKISTYLE's maya script to get the intial ortho view.  I am doing Bioshock Infinite because it is one of my favorite games.

You can see some random lines on the second image. Still trying to get a hold of hexels.
    Does anyone know if the clouds should be at an ortho angle as well? Or can the background face the front? Thanks for any help/feedback.

• MrsNomingtons
    Offline / Send Message
    PacMan
    Has anyone been having trouble using the outline paint tool?  It always starts to bug out.  (It starts a few grid spaces after the initial click.)

Is it allowed to use an outside program to compile assets created in hexels?
    Hey Ghost! That's a weird issue. Do you mind emailing us with your problem, your OS and what tablet you're using to hexels[at]marmoset.co, please? 

And yes! You're allowed to use other programs.
  • ElGregos
    Offline / Send Message
    ElGregos vertex

Another Pac-Man here :smile:
    The change in the viewpoint can let imagine the PacDude jumping over ghosts, as it's been made in Pac-Mania.
    And here's a wip for another game, from the 90s this time:

It's everal days of work, and still unfinished. I will give the name once it's over, maybe some will guess it in the meanwhile? It misses its pair of iconic characters...
    This far, both are 100% Hexels in a single file for each. I'd like to keep them this way, as it's for me the best way to learn that refreshing and great little 2D software that is Hexels. Plus, if anyone asks how it is made, I can simply answer "Hexels 2". Last time I had so much fun and urge to draw was when I used DeluxePaint III on Amiga!
    There are already great submissions, competition is fierce, need a pacgum right now.
  • refraction
    Offline / Send Message
    refraction polycounter lvl 10
    Started working on an Ori and the Blind Forest scene, going to go with this one then finish the Castlevania one if there's time

• Joebewon
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, these are some great WIPs happening in here!
    Here is an update on mine, still have a lot more work to put into it.  But, I've definitely ran into a handful of questions along the way.  

-Has anyone had any wacom tablet uses? Or having a stack of layers causing Hexels 2 to move really slow? Ran into some really rough chugging issues.  

- Also I was trying to use the glow that works with Hexels, but it brightens up the whole scene.  Is there a way to just have the glow work without brightening up the whole scene?  

Thanks in advance about the questions and looking forward to seeing others WIPs!
  • GhostDetector
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished 

@MrsNomingtons

Here's a gif of the problem.
    It has nothing to do with my tablet as it was unplugged when I made this gif.

• EarthQuake
    Joebewon said:
    Here is an update on mine, still have a lot more work to put into it.  But, I've definitely ran into a handful of questions along the way.  

-Has anyone had any wacom tablet uses? Or having a stack of layers causing Hexels 2 to move really slow? Ran into some really rough chugging issues.  

- Also I was trying to use the glow that works with Hexels, but it brightens up the whole scene.  Is there a way to just have the glow work without brightening up the whole scene?  

Thanks in advance about the questions and looking forward to seeing others WIPs!
    1. We've seen issues with Intuos 3 tablets that we haven't been able to track down the cause of. What model is your tablet?
    2. Depending on complexity of your document, and your computer specs performance may degrade if you have a lot of layers. Could you please send a hexels file that shows the poor performance issue along with your system specs (CPU, Ram, operating system, etc) to [email protected]
    3. If you only want certain areas to glow, first off set up the global glow amount to a level you like, and then make sure everything you want to glow is on it's own layer. In your glow layer, you can further control the glow amount with the per-layer glow slider next to opacity. For layers which you don't want to glow, turn down the glow slider.

• Joebewon
    Offline / Send Message
    Joebewon said:

1. We've seen issues with Intuos 3 tablets that we haven't been able to track down the cause of. What model is your tablet?
    2. Depending on complexity of your document, and your computer specs performance may degrade if you have a lot of layers. Could you please send a hexels file that shows the poor performance issue along with your system specs (CPU, Ram, operating system, etc) to [email protected]
    3. If you only want certain areas to glow, first off set up the global glow amount to a level you like, and then make sure everything you want to glow is on it's own layer. In your glow layer, you can further control the glow amount with the per-layer glow slider next to opacity. For layers which you don't want to glow, turn down the glow slider.

Awesome.  Appreciate the response @EarthQuake
    I'm using a Intious 4 medium tablet.  I did have a good handful of layers, but I can shoot you guys the specs that I used for both computers I used while working on my entry.  
    And I'll be sure to give the glow adjustments a further look with that info!  
    Thanks!
  • EarthQuake
    Joebewon said:
    Joebewon said:

Awesome.  Appreciate the response @EarthQuake
    I'm using a Intious 4 medium tablet.  I did have a good handful of layers, but I can shoot you guys the specs that I used for both computers I used while working on my entry.  
    And I'll be sure to give the glow adjustments a further look with that info!  
    Thanks!
    Cool thanks, if you could shoot us more details about the tablet issue that would be appreciated as well. Like exactly what you're seeing, when it happens, etc.

Thanks again
  • GhostDetector
    Offline / Send Message
    Since someone also did PacMan,  I'll also do StarWars Pod Racer.  I'll be painting in the environment and add shadows later.

• LenasTeapot
    Offline / Send Message
    LenasTeapot polycounter lvl 5

Working on a Child of Light piece (and something else if I can finish this one quickly!)  I thought this game really lent itself to the use of stylizing and glow. This is going to be one of the battle scenes, there will be a companion and some monsters on the other rocks, but of course I had to start with Aurora. :) Still slowly filling in the foliage and BG. Thoughts? Comments?
  • GhostDetector
    Offline / Send Message
    @LenasTeapot

For foliage it might be easier to do it in a separate file then just splice the images together.  That's what I did for  WIP podracers
  • ElGregos
    Offline / Send Message
    ElGregos vertex
    @LenasTeapot
    Beware before going further to stick to the isometric subject. A nice submission has been rejected because of this. Your drawing looks great already, but the isometric part is not obvious.
  • LenasTeapot
    Offline / Send Message
    @ElGregos
    Thanks for the heads up. I'm checking on the guidelines board now. Do you mean because the shapes are all quite organic rather than squared off into the iso grid? 
  • ElGregos
    Offline / Send Message
    ElGregos vertex
    @ElGregos
    Thanks for the heads up. I'm checking on the guidelines board now. Do you mean because the shapes are all quite organic rather than squared off into the iso grid? 
    To make it short, isometric perspective is a way of drawing perspective where a cube will be drawn with its 3 visible faces as 3 identical diamonds (with largest angle being 120°), assembled in a perfect hexagon. So all its lengths are the same, hence the isometric term. You'll find more on Wikipedia. IMO the contest is about adapting exiting videogames into a very apparent isometric view as it was made in old videogames (Marble Madness, Spindizzy) or more recent ones like Back to Bed, Bastion or the gorgeous Monument Valley. That's what the pics shown in the examples gallery have in common. Hexels is the only 2D vector tool I know that uses (and in fact is based on) grids among which you can find equilateral triangles ones that fits perfectly isometric work. This and other grids easily show a retro videogames flavour, with a more modern twist brought by vector cleaness, glows and so on, and I guess that's what they want to show.
  • LenasTeapot
    Offline / Send Message
    @ElGregos
    Thanks, but the confusion isn't about what is considered an iso view, but rather whether we need to use a "cube" style inside it. Mine is technically built in an iso view (with maybe some liberties with the BG) but not all shapes confirm to or could be built from a 3D cube. I am thinking maybe that's why Daniella's was rejected? But since that doesn't technically mean something isn't in an isometric view, thats why I'm looking for clarification. 
    Looking through the inspiration board it seems that is another thing most have in common, so I'm gonna try and aim that way.
  • EarthQuake
    @ElGregos
    @LenasTeapot

I'll try to clear up the confusion here. First off, Daniella's first piece that she submitted was in fact excellent (check it out here: https://tmblr.co/Zs36Xv27OEnKS) but was not created in an isometric style, so we removed it to prevent confusion (this doesn't seem to have worked very well tho =P). She has since posted another submission that was done in isometric style (see: http://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2453204/#Comment_2453204).

Now, to the question of @LenasTeapot's entry here, this certainly looks to be isometric to me, so there is no reason for concern. There is no requirement that the scene be made from cubes or fit into a cube shape, but the scene should be drawn on an isometric grid.

I hope this clears it up.
  • LenasTeapot
    Offline / Send Message
    @EarthQuake
    Oh, thank you so much, I hadn't seen her earlier entry! That really clears it up! 
  • DavidAguero
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidAguero vertex
    great entries! I will try to make a fallout scene, I had been playing with hexels and is quite fun
  • LenasTeapot
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, is anyone else having trouble with their selections? When I go to apply gradients to selections, it sometimes loses the selection and applies to the whole canvas. Drawing a little with the brush inside the selection first seems to help, but its a consistent problem I'm having. I'm running windows 8 still. Anyone else seeing this?
  • gael
    Offline / Send Message
    gael null
    @LenasTeapot I am having the same issue while applying gradient with selection along with some huge lag when using an intuos 5 (stop using it even though it reduces my productivity).

i'm running windows 10 on an average pc ( 4G ram, a very old graphic card (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460),and i5).

And I use around 20-30 layers when the file is cleaned up.

While I'm at it, is there a way to check Halftone only for some layers ?

thank you,
  • MrsNomingtons
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, is anyone else having trouble with their selections? When I go to apply gradients to selections, it sometimes loses the selection and applies to the whole canvas. Drawing a little with the brush inside the selection first seems to help, but its a consistent problem I'm having. I'm running windows 8 still. Anyone else seeing this?

gael said:
    @LenasTeapot I am having the same issue while applying gradient with selection along with some huge lag when using an intuos 5 (stop using it even though it reduces my productivity).

i'm running windows 10 on an average pc ( 4G ram, a very old graphic card (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460),and i5).

And I use around 20-30 layers when the file is cleaned up.

While I'm at it, is there a way to check Halftone only for some layers ?

thank you,
    Hey guys! Could you both please replicate this issue and go to the Help menu, click Reveal Log File and email me the hexels-log.txt as well as your .hxl file? My email is mira[at]marmoset[dot]co. This will help us greatly in tracking down the problem on our end and resolve it. Thanks! 

Currently, there's no way to check Halftone for individual layers. But it is a common request, so we may look into it :)