3ds Max/Zbrush: Proboolean + Dynamesh hardsurface workflow tutorial

Replies

• Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors polycounter lvl 10
    Just passing by to say that claypolish with softness doesnt result in inflated "chamfers" like polish does (which was bothering me).

• guitarguy00
    Online / Send Message
    guitarguy00 polycounter lvl 2

Hey guys, thought I would post this instead of starting a new thread. I sent my HP handle out of 3DS Max(with 3 subdivision levels already) and someother HP objects I want to subtract boolean. I go to Zbrush and subdivide my handle once again and perform the boolean operation. I then Dynamesh it as I want to polish and add some manual cuts and then export out to bake.

I should mention, the base HP mesh out of 3DS is NOT faceted. I checked in Marmoset with a high gloss value and full metalness, it is smooth.

Unfortunately I get this faceted result shown below.  I believe this is a result of the Dynamesh operation detected even the slightest angles in the subdivided mesh? Should this happen as I already Subdivided it 4 times prior to Dynamesh? The Dynamesh mesh is at 8 million points as is. Is there a setting that prevents this or am I missing a step? Any help would be very much appreciated.

• PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycounter
    Have you checked your UVs? Just looks like an unfiltered reflective material applied to a mesh with a badly stretched UV.
  • guitarguy00
    Online / Send Message
    PolyHertz said:
    Have you checked your UVs? Just looks like an unfiltered reflective material applied to a mesh with a badly stretched UV.
    UV's seem fine. If they were stretched the normal details on the handle in the picture would also be stretched... The problem seems to be in the high poly after dynamesh.
  • rregula
    guitarguy00 said:

Hey guys, thought I would post this instead of starting a new thread. I sent my HP handle out of 3DS Max(with 3 subdivision levels already) and someother HP objects I want to subtract boolean. I go to Zbrush and subdivide my handle once again and perform the boolean operation. I then Dynamesh it as I want to polish and add some manual cuts and then export out to bake.

I should mention, the base HP mesh out of 3DS is NOT faceted. I checked in Marmoset with a high gloss value and full metalness, it is smooth.

Unfortunately I get this faceted result shown below.  I believe this is a result of the Dynamesh operation detected even the slightest angles in the subdivided mesh? Should this happen as I already Subdivided it 4 times prior to Dynamesh? The Dynamesh mesh is at 8 million points as is. Is there a setting that prevents this or am I missing a step? Any help would be very much appreciated.

• rregula
  • guitarguy00
    Online / Send Message
    rregula said:

I am still getting the same problem. It is happening in Zbrush. This is the High Poly exported out of Zbrush and into Marmoset.

• PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycounter
    It could also be caused by bit depth or texture conversion/compression issues. If you can post the files it would help quite a bit in figuring out the exact cause.
  • Kanni3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d polycounter lvl 4
    PolyHertz said:
    It could also be caused by bit depth or texture conversion/compression issues. If you can post the files it would help quite a bit in figuring out the exact cause.
    It ended up being exporting as .fbx and not enough sub-divisons. :astonished: