Home Technical Talk

3ds Max/Zbrush: Proboolean + Dynamesh hardsurface workflow tutorial

Replies

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Here is my last wip. This method has been a revelation for me and coupled with dynamesh the workflow makes total sense. Thanks Amsterdam Hilton Hotel for sharing this!:

Cheerio

• Elrinion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elrinion polycounter lvl 2
    Instead of zbrush for the chamfers, couldn't opensubdiv be used to the same effect? An edit poly on top of the stack and a few edge weights could handle a lot.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Elrinion said:
    Instead of zbrush for the chamfers, couldn't opensubdiv be used to the same effect? An edit poly on top of the stack and a few edge weights could handle a lot.
    Not to the same effect. See my old tut on this workflow a few pages back. It uses quadify+turbosmooth. It works, but falls short on very complex meshes (such as Kanga's great model above) open subdiv would be a nightmare trying to set up the creaseset with shitty boolean topo.
  • defragger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    After converting to Dynamesh in ZBrush half of my mesh is gone ... it just disappears? This happens only with very complex meshes. Most of the time it just works fine. Any ideas?
  • 3DBoogieBr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DBoogieBr polycounter lvl 8
    Hey guys. I did a complete prop using primordially this workflow, and i really like it. Thanks so much because now i am much more secure to go for Hard Surface objects!!! So here is a picture from the final low poly mesh, i really want to share with you all. And again, thank you for this thread. So much helpful!

Original concept from Leading Light Entertainment.
  • defragger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    defragger said:
    After converting to Dynamesh in ZBrush half of my mesh is gone ... it just disappears? This happens only with very complex meshes. Most of the time it just works fine. Any ideas?
    Problem solved by using Dynamesh Master ...!
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    Been playing around with this method of modeling recently, I've noticed sometimes I would encounter problems where after going into proboolean to subtract my mesh it would just dissapear.  Can't seem to figure out what is causing this, no ngons in mesh, reset xform, still same issue.  

Has anyone ecountered this?
  • kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    soulstice said:
    Been playing around with this method of modeling recently, I've noticed sometimes I would encounter problems where after going into proboolean to subtract my mesh it would just dissapear.  Can't seem to figure out what is causing this, no ngons in mesh, reset xform, still same issue.  

Open edges is the first thing that comes to mind, a quick border select will catch those.  I've seen high poly ngons as well, but you've already controlled for that.  A stl check modifier can also find stuff that isn't easily visible.
  • eltarbos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eltarbos polycounter lvl 7
    After reading this thread, i've made a script in maya to enhance boolean workflow. I will probably post it on gumroad if anyone is interested. Here's a video showing how it works
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdRhp6ETA_o
  • gfelton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gfelton polycounter lvl 6
    eltarbos said:
    After reading this thread, i've made a script in maya to enhance boolean workflow. I will probably post it on gumroad if anyone is interested. Here's a video showing how it works
    I've never tried this workflow before as I only ever really model using SubD but damn...It looks like cheating, seeing it in action. Might give this a try and great work on that plugin by the way :)
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9

kary said:
    soulstice said:

Open edges is the first thing that comes to mind, a quick border select will catch those.  I've seen high poly ngons as well, but you've already controlled for that.  A stl check modifier can also find stuff that isn't easily visible.
    Hey Kary, you were spot on with this..  seems that symmetry created some open edges that I wasn't aware of.  Cleaned it up and proboolean worked like charm.  thanks for the tip! :)
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice said:

kary said:
    soulstice said:

Hey Kary, you were spot on with this..  seems that symmetry created some open edges that I wasn't aware of.  Cleaned it up and proboolean worked like charm.  thanks for the tip! :)
    That's why booleans are also referred to as solids. :)
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    eltarbos said:
    Yes please. :D
  • Phoenix995
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phoenix995 polycounter
    eltarbos said:
    That would be great :)
  • eltarbos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • ericktjoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericktjoe polycounter lvl 4
    perna said:
    The main issue is that a lot of people think this is a way to avoid having to learn proper modeling, totally in the spirit of unambitious, lazy computer artists. They may not be able to tell that the only reason an alternate workflow seems to give them good results is that their sub-d skill levels are atrocious.
    +1 for this.

I only do the boolean-zbrush to get faster result for complex shapes. This workflow suffers from hardware limitation if you use it too much. I'm still combining regular subdivision modeling with boolean workflow.

In the third last of the video, where Michael imported cad data and made the polygroups manually, yielded the best result. it's very time consuming but the result is much smoother. I found that it's faster if I created autogroups with UV. Just give every hard-edge their own uv island, no need to unfold or pack them.

Just my 2 cents.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    How do you get the dynamesh to play properly once the booleaned mesh is all faceted out when dealing with round objects? When the dynamesh smooths out the facets don't go away.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    The Polish step after Dynamesh will smooth them out as long as the underlying curves have enough segments. Use high segment counts in the boolean operands.

• OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    The Polish step after Dynamesh will smooth them out as long as the underlying curves have enough segments. Use high segment counts in the boolean operands.

I just re read the tutorial and found that part. Thanks!
  • jazznazz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jazznazz polycounter lvl 13
    Great Tutorial @Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    One question guys - I'm making a lot of these sheet metal car parts and this method works really well with them, with one small exception. After making the "sheet", applying Shell modifier in MAX , sending the model to Zbrush and smoothing it, the edges of the sheet get all rounded and not very "metal"-y (upper left on the pic). Do you know a way to prevent this and keep only the edges sharp?

• Mossbros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossbros polycounter lvl 9
    @jazznazz I think this is one of the main caveats of the method, but I believe there are some workarounds for this. 

One would be to make the shell strip a different UV shell from the top and bottom then use polygroups by UV, then hide the shell border, apply a polish to the main areas you want rounded, inverse polygroup, polish edge slightly to have sharper result. 
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    OP examples are totally convincing. I think it's a great workflow for "booleanable" objects, which can almost be totally automated. It's close from how CAD softwares work (and mechanicals parts are made).
     Better than MR round corner trick, better than double subd trick, exponentially faster than chamfering subd. You can sculpt easily on it (weldings and stuff) as the mesh is homogeneous. It's non destructive, let you re-use your booleans setup for the low poly...
    If you assign a multi/sub material to operands, mat IDs will be preserved (you can use the material modifier to assign an id without converting to poly). Could be used later to polish by polygroups, etc...

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    For those that use 3DCoat instead of ZBrush for this workflow, is the best way to get a high poly model from a voxel just to use the autotopo? Is there a way to control how much the smooth all option smooths the mesh? 
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just thought I'd add this here for posterity. It's using Polyhertz's 'Quick High-Poly' 3dsMax script. My thread with examples can be found here: http://polycount.com/discussion/174639/polyhertzs-3dsmax-script-quick-high-poly#latest

• Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That looks great. Not having to jump to ZB would be nice. I suppose the cleanup in advance adds a little work although it's probably deductible from the LP creation time.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers Ben. Yes, there is a little cleanup, but once you plan your boolean and know what to look out for before and after running the script it works well. Plus, we still have all the options from the chamfer mod available.
  • OccultMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OccultMonk interpolator
    I saw that Blender can do this step too. I have found this maxscript and it seems the C++ source code is available. So if anyone can make a modifier out of it, and then combine it with Turbosmooth and pro-optimizer modifier after that you would not need to export to zbrush. I understand that the Polyherz quad chamfer workflow works well in most cases, but this workflow could also add some flexibility. 

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/instant-meshes-bridge#comment-33954

instant meshes bridge

• Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan Powell polycounter lvl 5
    Wondering, how is everyone getting such clean results with Dynamesh?

Whenever I dynamesh an object, I always get ugly edges like this:

Instead of nice clean edges

Cheers
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    @Dan Powell

Did you polish after the dynamesh?

• Joopson
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Dynamesh at a higher resolution, if you're getting issues like that. @Dan Powell
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Dan Powell

Did you polish after the dynamesh?

Nope, that would smooth out the edges wouldn't it? I was going for something with pristine crisp edges like the gun piece in the OP
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson said:
    Dynamesh at a higher resolution, if you're getting issues like that. @Dan Powell
    Will try this on the next object, cheers :)
  • Tzur_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    Joopson said:
    Will try this on the next object, cheers :)
    That's the reason Dynamesh Master is recommended. Instead of guessing the Dynamesh resolution you just type the number of polys you aim for and it will try its best to deliver
  • FireyMoltak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, blown away by this thread but a question from an amateur:
    I think the only doubts I have with this method is that, is this a good method I should learn (as a noob in modeling)??
    On one hand, I feel like this is amazing and believe many things can be created (some even seem impossible to do in sub-d w/o giving you a migraine). Then, on the other hand, I'm wondering if it's bad to learn this because people will think it's lazy and bad because of the topology (like the "quads quads quads!") but I've heard somewhere that this method was used to make The Divisions weapons??!
    unless.... it's actually really easy but manual to get nice topology afterwards...
    please shine some light to my ignorance xD (side note: ... i dont even understand where the low poly comes from when making high poly ;~;)
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna said:

Actually the OP gun has smooth rounded edges, not crisp sharp ones. It's common practice to exaggerate the smoothness/width of hipoly edges used to bake down to realtime assets.
    Yeah, I get the whole exagerrating smoothness part. :) Bakes edges generally come out better when you slightly over-soften edges. This is the image I'm referencing when I talk about crisp edges after dynamesh:

Notice how crisp and perfect all of the edges are on this model after the Dynamesh? 

Unless I'm misunderstanding... This model at that point in the opening post has been dynameshed, hasn't it? D=
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Dan Powell are you referring to the visible faceting? If so, that's caused by not having enough segments on the cylinder primitives used as boolean operands. You have to set them pretty high to relieve this. 
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Musashidian, no - I'm referring to the ugly results on my own test with Dynamesh (see a few posts above.)

@Perna, fair enough yeah - I'll probably give this a go with Dynamesh Master instead to see if that yields a better result for me; just a bit confused as why generally people's meshes are coming out super clean with Dynamesh, like the one of the gun in the opening post in comparison to mine. Cheers though!
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    If you want crisper edges, just Dynamesh with a high resolution.

Basically the edges will still look like the edges you were getting, but the geometry will be so densely packed that each face becomes small enough to the point where those imperfections wont even be visible unless you zoom way in. 
  • eltarbos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Dan Powell said:

Notice how crisp and perfect all of the edges are on this model after the Dynamesh? 

Unless I'm misunderstanding... This model at that point in the opening post has been dynameshed, hasn't it? D=
    You can see how to use dynamesh with boolean objects at the end of this video. Maybe that can help.
    The secret is to use polygroups before you dynamesh. After that, you can use the polish by features to make your bevels.

watch at 4'40"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2LGtvwCLy4

• Internet Friend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Internet Friend polycounter lvl 9
    Dan Powell said:

Yeah, I get the whole exagerrating smoothness part. :) Bakes edges generally come out better when you slightly over-soften edges. This is the image I'm referencing when I talk about crisp edges after dynamesh: 

Bear in mind that changing the size of a mesh effectively changes the Dynamesh resolution. Compare the size of the mesh to the ground plane. If you kept the 256 resolution but decreased the size you'd end up with a mesh with less geometry and softer edges. 
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got it. Cheers guys. :)
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Yeah that was post-dynamesh. The issue in the image you posted is insufficient polygon density for the object. You can solve it by increasing either the Dynamesh resolution or the absolute size of the object

Hey guys, blown away by this thread but a question from an amateur:
    I think the only doubts I have with this method is that, is this a good method I should learn (as a noob in modeling)??
    On one hand, I feel like this is amazing and believe many things can be created (some even seem impossible to do in sub-d w/o giving you a migraine). Then, on the other hand, I'm wondering if it's bad to learn this because people will think it's lazy and bad because of the topology (like the "quads quads quads!") but I've heard somewhere that this method was used to make The Divisions weapons??!
    unless.... it's actually really easy but manual to get nice topology afterwards...
    please shine some light to my ignorance xD (side note: ... i dont even understand where the low poly comes from when making high poly ;~;)
    I think you should learn it. Then you can decide whether to keep using it based on direct experience. This also goes for subdivision modeling.

The techniques that other people call lazy are the ones you should try and learn immediately. Spending less effort for the same result is a quality that's easily lost on people who spent time mastering less efficient techniques that are now obsolete.
  • OccultMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OccultMonk interpolator
    They are no 'lazy-techniques' when you get the end result you want and you can easily make adjustments afterwards. However, you should learn the basics of Poly-modeling/subdiv since some shapes are still easier to create that way. You have better control over large complex forms with poly modeling. Smaller forms and details can be done using faster techniques. 

10 years ago I knew Polymodeling would be outdated in the way it was used at the time. I made some predictions for myself and worked based on that; Polymodeling would be replaced in part with faster techniques; Auto-retopo would become availible (Like Z-Remesher and Dynamesh); Auto UVW would become availible; Auto-packing of UVS's;. Everything has come true in the last 10 years. I lost quite a bit of time learning stuff I knew would be less useful later on. Therefore I focused on learning the basics and never went overboard learning Poly-modeling like it was used 8-10 years ago. When a new technique presents itself, or if I think of such a technique myself, I start using it. 
  • Bender
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bender polycounter lvl 5
    Hi guys, how are you doing retopo for low poly mesh? I use a quad drow in Maya, but there is a problem due to non-flat surfaces. This leads to small gradients on the normal map. When I do the traditional method, I have remained low poly (first level subdiv) with a perfectly flat surface.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    forgive me if I missed it but is there any nice way to achieve similar fancy booleans in maya? the tools dont seem great in maya - crashes a lot and doesnt seem very non destructive.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ged have you looked into any of Fansub's Maya toolkits? I'm a Max user but they look fantastic. I believe there are boolean tools contained therein.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    do you mean this type of thing? https://gumroad.com/l/CreasePlus#

it looks pretty good if it works as advertised and without crashing a lot like mayas other booleans tended to do when I tried them in the past.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Oh right that looks cool too! thanks guys!
  • wannabe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wannabe polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry to bump this thread but i was wondering if this workflow can be done using zbrush core functionalities.