Home Technical Talk

[Photoshop Extension] Layer Cake - Multiple Layer Offsetting

Replies

• TooLzor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TooLzor polycounter lvl 10
    malcolm said:
    Toolzor, thanks man this script is awesome. Huge time saver.
    Glad it's helping you :)  
    More scripts on the way AFTER I figure out how to get CC html5 panels working...so cryptic they is.
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    I wanted to try the update to layerCake unfortunately zxp files don't install using a third party extension manager in PhotoshopCC-2015.

Side Note: I can't believe 2016 is coming soon, time goes fast.
  • TooLzor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wanted to try the update to layerCake unfortunately zxp files don't install using a third party extension manager in PhotoshopCC-2015.

Side Note: I can't believe 2016 is coming soon, time goes fast.
    The current version should have the script files which work in cc for the time being. Cc panel and extension should hopefully be up in a few days or so.
  • TooLzor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got the panel up and running. Just want to get some better styling on it cause for some reason the css is adding a lot of padding and it makes the buttons look stupid compared to the cs6 version...

• TooLzor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, @malcolm 's day might be made with the newest addition to Layer Cake!
    Spectacles! 
    Spectacles allows you to do Guassian Blur or Smart Sharpen on a 3x3 of your tileable.

Also! The html5 panel is now (kind of) responsive! 
    I've set it up so it will go into a 2x2 grid OR if you resize either more height or more width it will make a row or a column (whichever you're doing)

I put installation instructions in for 2014 and 2015(same instructions) so that way people don't have to grab it from the Adobe Exchange.

• TooLzor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @CreativeSheep
     pointed out that the previous version (3.4) woudln't show up for 2015. I fixed the bug and re uploaded. Was just some [] in the manifest that weren't supposed to be there. 
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Cool, will try this out on the weekend!
  • 3D_Dude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3D_Dude polycounter lvl 6
    Nice tool @TooLzor! Will give this a try asap. I offset a lot when doing tiles by hand so this should come in handy. Thanks
  • TooLzor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3D_Dude said:
    Nice tool @TooLzor! Will give this a try asap. I offset a lot when doing tiles by hand so this should come in handy. Thanks
    No problem! Hope it helps :smile: 
    Let me know if you run into problems.
    I'm working on a bug fix for the "gotcha" that Layer Cake has now (selecting stuff and having adjustment layers as the top most layers)
  • TooLzor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fixed the problem with Adjument Layers crashing Layer Cake. 
    They are now effectively being ignored (since you can't really "offset"/merge an adjustment layer) and will no longer be considered for previewing/merging.

• malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toolzor, hey gave the latest scripts a try. Icing and spectacles do not work, they both fail during the execution. I'm on CS6 using that fancy extension pallet you created. When I click the button it gets part of the way through and then fails on or right after the crop.

The normal map toggle appears to work perfectly, very helpful, it also works on multiple layers selections with mixed blendmodes so you should package that one in for sure with the other scripts.
  • TooLzor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm said:
    Toolzor, hey gave the latest scripts a try. Icing and spectacles do not work, they both fail during the execution. I'm on CS6 using that fancy extension pallet you created. When I click the button it gets part of the way through and then fails on or right after the crop.

The normal map toggle appears to work perfectly, very helpful, it also works on multiple layers selections with mixed blendmodes so you should package that one in for sure with the other scripts.
    What kind of layer stack do you have? It shouldn't make any difference but ya never know.
    (I'm not sure why it's saying the Transform command because both of those scripts don't use Transform, it uses Translate which is definitely in there (it's what Nudge does))
    I just downloaded the version from the site and re installed and tested and both worked.

Yeah I made the normal map one to be as useful as I could with what I had (from PS haha) 
    I think I  might put it with others (if I get other NM based ones since it's not really a tiling texture one and I'm trying to keep LCake to that for the moment)
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a shot of the layer stack, nothing fancy going on.

• TooLzor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm said:
    Here's a shot of the layer stack, nothing fancy going on.

Tested, It's because of the locked Layer. I might have to make an adjustment and go over all the layers to make sure they are unlocked.
    At least in this specific low layer amount case it does that. I can lock a bunch of layers in another PSD and Icing runs no problem so not sure exactly what the issue is 

Edit: Yeah, it's because a Locked Background (specifically the first layer generated by PS) can't be moved so I have a check in now to convert it if it is such a layer.
    It's quite late atm so I'll try to get it up tomorrow.  (I just noticed CC 2015 is complaining about my HTML5 panel so I'll have to check that as well)
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, look forward to the update. The locked layer is a must, Unreal 4 sometimes fails to import the texture if you don't have that special background layer as seen above, which I believe is a limitation of the nVidia compressor for textures.
  • TooLzor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm said:
    Cool, look forward to the update. The locked layer is a must, Unreal 4 sometimes fails to import the texture if you don't have that special background layer as seen above, which I believe is a limitation of the nVidia compressor for textures.
    Updated :) Let me know if you run into any other problems
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is no denying it looks and runs like a beautiful extension especially in CC+ !
  • TooLzor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is no denying it looks and runs like a beautiful extension especially in CC+ !
    Took a bit of googling and copy pasta to get the HTML5 awesomeness haha

If people have more ideas of Tiling Texture specific stuff I could add to Layer Cake I'm all ears, I'd like to make this into THE tiling texture tool kit.
    Again, not so much the "Do it for me" tool kit, but the "speeds up my work" tool kit. 

If you have other ideas for stuff that might not be tileables related, feel free to hit me up with a message as well (more scripts won't hurt my portfolio haha)
    I'm also trying to start Maya scripting and looking for interesting ideas so I can learn with a goal in mind.
    ( I had one mentioned for a light lister specifically for vray and such but I don't have access to that so can't really do it :tongue: )
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toolzor works for me now. The blur tool is really great, big time saver. The tiling texture tool seems a bit slow to me personally and I'd rather see a 9 tile rather than a 4 tile, but I generally just preview tiling textures in Maya since it's instantaneous when testing tiling textures.

The rebake feature is a neat idea, but it takes so long to load I can actually load the layer cake tool and reapply my settings faster than waiting for rebake to finish loading so I think there are some performance issues with the various tools. Not sure if it's possible to fix them, but it seems to take abnormally long to run any of the tools except layer cake.
  • TooLzor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm said:
    Toolzor works for me now. The blur tool is really great, big time saver. The tiling texture tool seems a bit slow to me personally and I'd rather see a 9 tile rather than a 4 tile, but I generally just preview tiling textures in Maya since it's instantaneous when testing tiling textures.

The rebake feature is a neat idea, but it takes so long to load I can actually load the layer cake tool and reapply my settings faster than waiting for rebake to finish loading so I think there are some performance issues with the various tools. Not sure if it's possible to fix them, but it seems to take abnormally long to run any of the tools except layer cake.
    That's strange for Rebake since it shouldn't have to "Load" anything. It should just fire automatically and be quite fast since it doesn't have to make UI or anything, it just grabs settings from the last Layer Cake use. (I just tested again to make sure I didn't break something as well.) 
    I could potentially do a 3x3 as well, but hitting Icing again in the new document will create another big one that would essentially be a 4x4 as well.
    Performance wise, it will slow down if you're in very big documents (I believe it's mostly a hardware/Photoshop thing since the code really isn't that much for Icing/Spectacles really)
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toolzor, performance came back after a restart. Thanks, I will make another 20 dollar donation as my wife wants to use these scripts as well.
  • TooLzor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm said:
    Toolzor, performance came back after a restart. Thanks, I will make another 20 dollar donation as my wife wants to use these scripts as well.
    Good to hear it works again haha you had me worried.
    Awesome, thanks so much, I really appreciate that
    Hope she enjoys them too! As always let me know if you run into bugs (or more ideas to speed up the tedious tiling texture process)
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    I'm playing around with this and I noticed the offset is in inches, is there any way to change it to pixels? 
  • TooLzor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup, Ctrl R, right click the ruler and put on pixels :wink: 
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    that was wicked fast also whoa, totally didn't know you could right click the ruler like that. lmao ty ♥ When it's set to inches it seems to lag the hell out of the extension. PS add that part into the read me. I just noticed you'd mentioned that on your site but not in the actual documentation.
  • TooLzor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weird. I have been debating whether to force pixels or not... Just trying to be non invasive but maybe I'll test out if forcing pixels if it's not already and then putting back to whatever it was before
  • TooLzor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, threw in the small feature.
    Using Layer Cake will now force the units into Pixels when running.  
    It will also put it back into whatever Units you were using previously (after it's done offsetting)
    3.5.2 is up :smile: 

• TooLzor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was informed that people were getting a "Signing" error so I've fixed it and put up a bug fix while I was at it.
    3.5.3 is up on the site, resigned, and I also put the unit forcing that I had put in Layer Cake into the other 3 scripts as well (as Spectacles for example would give you a totally wrong texture back if you were on cm/in)
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Toolzor, loving layer cake so far, such a great script. Also loving the normal map overlay script, I have another request for the normal map set. Rotate normal map 90 degress clockwise/counter clockwise. I think this is done by flipping the two of the channels on the selected layer. Also I'm not sure if this is possible in Photoshop, but arbitrary normal map rotation would be super helpful.
  • TooLzor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm said:
    Hey Toolzor, loving layer cake so far, such a great script. Also loving the normal map overlay script, I have another request for the normal map set. Rotate normal map 90 degress clockwise/counter clockwise. I think this is done by flipping the two of the channels on the selected layer. Also I'm not sure if this is possible in Photoshop, but arbitrary normal map rotation would be super helpful.
    Was just googling to see what I would have to do (never had to rotate a normal map before without rebaking) and came across this
    http://polycount.com/discussion/38892/photoshop-normal-map-action-set
    which seems to still work but it does it with 90 turns so not the arbitrary rotation but it's a start I guess.

Edit:
    Just playing around with that action set and I think it could be possible but one thing I could see being a problem is just the general rotating of an image. In a lot of cases it seems fine but I can see this causing unwanted distortions and such as well, maybe something to think about. 
    I'm assuming this would be more for adding smaller details or being able to reuse other normal map pieces or something?

Edit 2: 
    Also one of the issues I can see (at least with the action set and just changing the rotation in the action) is that if the normal map isn't a whole layer it seems to not work very well...Not sure how it would work with the same kinda thing in script.
  • TooLzor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @malcolm I've consulted with some other TA's (much greater than I :tongue: ) and they say that an arbitrary rotation isn't possible as the tangent space would get all wonky. The 90 degree ones are possible because it's swapping color info directly but a non 90 wouldn't be a swap as much as a recalc...meaning you'd have to rebake.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's what I figured, the 90 degress stuff would still be helpful wrapped up with the overlay toggle.
    Back in the day crazybump released a arbitrary rotator (not in photoshop), but was wondering if something like that was possible in Photoshop. It takes what's in your clipboard and you can rotate it with a slider bar, the downside is the tool often won't paste into the app for some reason.
    http://polycount.com/discussion/comment/965355/#Comment_965355

• TooLzor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll see if I can put it with Normally Blue sometime soon ish. 
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BigErn polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Travis, really awesome looking script!   I tried it using our work installs of CS5 and there is a problem.   I asked our IT to take a look and seems like its just not compatible with anything below CS6?   I`ll post pics of the errors. Ta!

computer says No.

• TooLzor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BigErn said:
    Hey Travis, really awesome looking script!   I tried it using our work installs of CS5 and there is a problem.   I asked our IT to take a look and seems like its just not compatible with anything below CS6?   I`ll post pics of the errors. Ta!

computer says No.

Interesting. I hadn't heard of anyone using it on CS5 till now so I had no idea. 
    I don't have a copy of CS5 either so I'm not sure. I'll take a look and see if there is something I can do to help you out.
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BigErn polycounter lvl 11

TooLzor said:
    BigErn said:
    <snip>
    Interesting. I hadn't heard of anyone using it on CS5 till now so I had no idea. 
    I don't have a copy of CS5 either so I'm not sure. I'll take a look and see if there is something I can do to help you out.
    Hey that would be great,  your our only hope, well that and persuading work that your script saves us all enough time to upgrade the CS5 versions we have around for at least CS6 :)
  • TooLzor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K, CS5 version has been added to the download. 
    Multiple people have reported CC  2015.0.0 not working correctly with LayerCake, while later updates work completely fine. 
    I have no clue as to why, so everyone please make sure you are up to date with Photoshop for the best experience.
  • TooLzor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I added a mailing list feature to the LayerCake page. If you want to find out right when I make an update (and not have to keep checking back here or the website) feel free to sign up :)
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Just wanted to report back with a big ol' thank you. Used Layercake on and off for the last couple of weeks, and it's taken most of the pain out of seamless texturing in PS. Gracias!
  • TooLzor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing said:
    Just wanted to report back with a big ol' thank you. Used Layercake on and off for the last couple of weeks, and it's taken most of the pain out of seamless texturing in PS. Gracias!
    No problemo! Glad to hear back from more users :smiley:
    Been trying to come up with more things to add to it as well, but haven't had much that are in the way of "Would re use this all the time" kind of thing.

• malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey wanted to inform you I'm having a lot of crashes at work with Layer Cake. After I've had Photoshop and Unreal open for most of the day when I try to click on any of the buttons in Layer Cake it crashes Photoshop, some error message comes up, can't remember what it says. It's a bummer since I'm always in a hurry when I want to use layer cake, but now that it crashes I fear using it except in the morning. Will give the normal map stuff a whirl tomorrow and send you some feedback.

• TooLzor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm said:
    Hey wanted to inform you I'm having a lot of crashes at work with Layer Cake. After I've had Photoshop and Unreal open for most of the day when I try to click on any of the buttons in Layer Cake it crashes Photoshop, some error message comes up, can't remember what it says. It's a bummer since I'm always in a hurry when I want to use layer cake, but now that it crashes I fear using it except in the morning. Will give the normal map stuff a whirl tomorrow and send you some feedback.

Hmm well if you can get me the error that would be the best start. My guess would likely be just something to do with PS itself but never know I guess.

Yeah let me know how normally panel works for you :)

What version are you using at work?
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CS 6 at work and at home. I'm living in the past.
  • TooLzor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's said:
    CS 6 at work and at home. I'm living in the past.
    That's really weird cause I author all scripts in cs6 to begin with. Yeah I'll def need to know the error itself
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    installed this version and i'm getting this error, any ideas?
  • TooLzor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon said:
    installed this version and i'm getting this error, any ideas?
    I'll take a look at it. I was going to be doing something with LayerCake today anyways :)
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's an incompatibility issue; I have yet to look into it.  :)
  • TooLzor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I uploaded a new version. 
    3.5.5 has a MUCH better looking UI

As well as some pretty neat features (for CC)
    If you're grabbing a free version it has a Support Me button (so people can possibly throw me a couple bucks at some point if they really like it)
    All versions have a "Report Bug" button now so you guys can let me know of bugs you encounter.

The cool features for CC are that I'm hosting the panel via my website so this allows me to do things like graphical updates and even "practical" alerting of new versions and such (ex. putting a button in the panel that says New Version etc.)
    I also thought ahead and packaged an offline version that way if you're not online you can still continue to use the extension with no problem :)
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What do you mean 'online' version; news to me ?

Contrary to belief Photoshop is still a huge asset to many studios across well, North America / Europe etc; not GIMP etc and to prove this, look at Adobe Stock Price $95 (US) where I work currently the stock price is $38(US).

Tools such as what Toolzor created and very soon I plan to make, hoping I can get some help from TooLzor in the near future if need arises, are still essential for most, regardless if it's games, commercial, web design or graphic design or a combination of all.
  • TooLzor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What do you mean 'online' version; news to me ?
    So, I changed how the panel is "loaded". Instead of packaging the whole html file with all the buttons and what not I actually have the page hosted on my own website and then embed that page in the panel. When a user is using it and is online, they get the page that I host. If they are offline then the panel loads a packaged page that acts the same as the "current" version should. 
    The online one allows me to be able to add buttons/text and update graphics and what not when I want to (if I want to etc.) 
    This lets me do things like add a button that says "NEW VERSION AVAILABLE" that the user can click and they can get the version or find news etc. 
    If nothing else it has been a fun experiment :)