Home Technical Talk

[Photoshop Extension] Layer Cake - Multiple Layer Offsetting

Replies

• TooLzor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TooLzor polycounter lvl 10
    I just pushed Version 3.6 to Gumroad after a user (and fellow Tech Artist) told me that running Layer Cake on say a group that had a locked layer in it, would cause it to not do anything at all.
    This isn't what I thought happened so I have made it so Layer Cake now "ignores" locked layers so that way it can still work on unlocked layers. Rebake does the same.
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    ToolZor did you change the icons in a recent version of LayerCake ?

I have LayerCake 3.5.1 installed and I wanted to see you update the plugin live from your server and I see the changes in Layer Cake when opening the panel.
  • TooLzor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did change them in 3.5.5.
    That's weird if you can see them in that old of a version though cause...I have no idea how you would

• CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not picking up the changes, can you not upgrade LayerCake from your server for those using an older version ?
  • TooLzor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No because I had to do some html magic to make it so it was possible so only newer versions 3.5.5 and on can get it like I have it now

• CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wonder if it's possible to upgrade older versions remotely have you done research into this and ended up negative ?
  • TooLzor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well yeah...you can't (afaik) update someones software without having put the capability in in the first place...which until 3.5.5 I didn't so...
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • TooLzor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just go get the new version :pleased:
    It's on Gumroad and it's still free. Only diff between the free and the donated version is a "support me" button, same functionality so.
    https://gumroad.com/tevashkevich
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is a creative cloud folder which is recommended to install extensions for future versions of Photoshop this a better method.
  • TooLzor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Layer Cake V3.6.6 has been updated for the CC versions with a fallback to make it so if my site goes down it will use the packaged offline page so it can be used still. 
  • onomatoTina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onomatoTina polycounter lvl 6
    This script is great, thank you! Is the Gumroad version v3.6.6 instead of just v3.6? (Or do you just always update the Gumroad version immediately?)
    Would it be possible to add an option or alternative for the Icing feature to run only on selected layers (and maintain the layers and transparency in the new document) instead of the flattened image? 
  • TooLzor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This script is great, thank you! Is the Gumroad version v3.6.6 instead of just v3.6? (Or do you just always update the Gumroad version immediately?)
    Would it be possible to add an option or alternative for the Icing feature to run only on selected layers (and maintain the layers and transparency in the new document) instead of the flattened image? 
    Thanks!
    I always just update the Gumroad one (as that's the place to get it now)
    Currently it should be on 3.6.1 (latest) I just forgot to update the "current version" text on Gumroad (good catch)

Uh it's possible I guess. Can you give me some examples of why you would do it only on some layers? I'm guessing just to check if specific ones are the problem layers or not but just want to know the deets :)
  • TooLzor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K, so I'm thinking of actually doing that Icing feature that was requested from @onomatoTina
    I'm wondering how you guys would like it to work.
    I'm thinking of making Icing work that way (not merge layers when it creates the new document and tiles it over)
    and making a new script that would be called Filling that would essentially make the canvas bigger and then tile your layers in the current document. 

What are your guys' thoughts?

Edit: 
    I've tried to prototype this and unfortunately it doesn't seem very viable. There is too many possibilities to really account for like clipping masks, adjustment layers etc... It's easy enough to not merge the layers but it doesn't really work very well for the end case. 
  • onomatoTina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onomatoTina polycounter lvl 6
    @TooLzor
    Just wanted to say thanks very much for taking the time to prototype it. Very appreciated!

A delayed response to your question as to why I would only do it on some layers: 
    As you know, most blending options layer styles (such as drop shadow) do not tile seamlessly with the document. What I do to get around this is manually copy the layer, with its transparency (after flattening down its clipping masks), and tile it in a new document. I then copy the layer style to the new document, and "Create Layer" to rasterize the effect. Now, I am able to copy that layer style (from the center of the document, so it 'tiles' correctly) back into my original file. It's a pretty niche usage, but hope this adds some insight and/or is useful for someone else's workflow. :)
  • TooLzor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated the video in the start of the thread to reflect the current UI and such of Layer Cake (also give a quick over view of the features as well :D)

https://youtu.be/boec1RCq308

• another caveman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another caveman greentooth
    Hello! Good job on the tool ! Can't believe Adobe didn't do it...

Every thing seems to be working except for the most important: the layer cake button does not.
    Any clue ?
    I'm using PS6.
    Thanks
  • TooLzor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd have to see what you're trying to run it on to try to diagnose the issue.

Pop on my discord if you have some time and I'll try to help you
    https://discord.gg/USBnrMa