[UE4] [Quixel Suite 2] Cryogenic Chamber Environment + Breakdown

Hi all, I recently completed this sci-fi environment with the intention of using Quixel Suite 2 as extensively as possible. After posting it on the Quixel Tools Group on Facebook I was contacted by Eric Ramberg from Quixel who asked if I would be interested in posting a breakdown of it, so here we are. I'm not sure how much these images will be shrunk or compressed so here is an Artstation link.

Here's a final render done in UE4:

For this environment my workflow was pretty standard. I modeled and UV'd all of the assets in Maya and then baked the AO maps using xNormals. Here's the low poly + AO rendered in Marmoset Toolbag as well as the UV maps.

• Ceiling - 28128 tris, 4k textures
  • Chamber - 27782 tris, 4k textures
  • Door - 7370 tris, 4k textures
  • Door Back - 20612 tris, 4k textures
  • Floor - 47198 tris, 4k textures
  • Wall - 6999 tris, 4k textures
  • Ventilation - 26624, 2k textures
So, absolutely not conservative poly counts on this geometry, nor clever tiling texture use, but that wasn't really the goal of this environment. 
I decided I wanted to make the normal maps using 100% nDo. The only exception were the ventilation pipes which had a high poly baked on them (also created in Maya).

Before and after normal maps:

After this I began texturing with DDO. The new mesh painting tools are amazing, adding details to meshes with so much control was my favourite part of the workflow. Some detail shots:

Here are some renders from 3DO of the individual assets with their textures:

And some wireframes and texture sheets:

All textures were done in DDO besides the emissive maps which I just created in Photoshop. For the most part I left them black and white so I could control their colour later in UE4. The ventilation pipes only need a normal map and AO, so I didn't run them through DDO, instead opting to use UE4's material editor for them. After importing everything to Unreal, I made the master shader, which is really simple. I set up controls for the emissive colour and power as well a parameter for lowering the roughness for some greater control over reflections as well as a control for increasing the metalness slightly in case I wanted to make the white paint a little more reflective too. The only other materials in the scene are a simple glass shader and the ventilation pipes (just a normal + AO, colour and BRDF parameter).

From this point on all that was left was some final touches in the UE4 scene. I added some steam particles to the vents and fiddled with a post processing volume until I was happy with it. So I guess I'll wrap up this thread here, this is my first breakdown post so hopefully I did it right. if you want to see any other stuff don't hesitate to ask. Thanks for reading! A couple more final renders:

Replies