Home General Discussion

modern day model polycount (Pc, Ds, Iphone and consoles)

cocochan
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
cocochan polycounter lvl 2

hi all,
i am doing a research topic into LOD(Level of detial) and i have modeled a few things but i really have a problem. For part of my research I need to find out how low a low poly model and high a high poly model must be in modern games (on Iphone, consoles - xbox360, Ps3, XboxOne and ps4, PC and handheld device like a Nintendo DS) im just having trouble finding the range for each because i dont know what i should make the poly count budget.
can anybody enlighten me on this?
thanks!

Replies

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    There are so many things that could factor in to this that its hard to say. Shader complexity means you could have relatively low polygon objects that look very impressive. You can reference games that already exist but each game has its own poly budgets really. this thread may be a good place to start. http://polycount.com/discussion/141061/polycounts-in-next-gen-games-thread
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    From what I've seen modern-spec'd AAA game characters (on PS4/XB1/PC) start at about 20k tris, and top out just over 100k (with I think the average being about 30-40K). The range is pretty huge.
    This is assuming you have a character-focused game though, as racing games and such where they are just background objects will have MUCH lower tri counts (assuming they're not just 2D billboards). LODs can also end up bringing characters well below 1000 tris.