Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Weekly Substance Challenge - Week 1

Replies

• Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nistrum polycounter lvl 9
    Fine... FINE. ill go back and do it again, do you really have to shame me so much!! :P
  • ScrotieFlapWack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScrotieFlapWack polycounter lvl 5
    noosence wrote: »
    I like using the Slope Blur method to make edge damages. It gives really nice sloped chipped away looking damage.

QOHVCUK.png

I used this to make two slope damage variations, one for the large breaks, and a finer noise damage. Then blended those two together with the original tile height map to get the effect.

YV9hJdR.png

Wow sweet method man, thanks so much for sharing. It gives brilliant results! I am still working on my Substance, should have it finished before my bedtime xD
  • EbolaV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EbolaV keyframe
    I think you don't have to blend your slope results with your leveled tiles afterwards to keep the areas between the tiles. Just check in the slope node the mode and change it from Blur to Min. That should make sure that it only cuts into your tiles. But of course you can do it like this as well :)
    noosence wrote: »
    I like using the Slope Blur method to make edge damages. It gives really nice sloped chipped away looking damage.

QOHVCUK.png

I used this to make two slope damage variations, one for the large breaks, and a finer noise damage. Then blended those two together with the original tile height map to get the effect.

YV9hJdR.png
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    I agree with the above post, but in my work I have noticed that the min mode doesnt work quite as expected, and will actually brighten some pixels, which I've had mess with grout on a few occasions. I usually multiply the grout back in afterwards to solve this.
  • 3DKyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DKyle interpolator
    Hey guys,

I wanted to give this ago and had a spare couple of hours.

AMVPoA7.png
  • noosence
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noosence polycounter lvl 9
    @ScrotieFlapWack Glad to help out =]

@EbolaV Yeah you definitely don't have to blend it back in when using the min mode, but like @somedoggy said it tends to leave some lightened spots, which honestly probably aren't that noticeable but I like to have a more defined grout line. I'm probably just being super picky haha =]
  • frmdbl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
  • Micaki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Micaki polycounter lvl 3
    Tiles should be more like 3x3 or even 2x2, but i cant change that now, maybe later.
    Feel free to download for learning purposes
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/r8hmvxnqhjahfws/Concrete_tiles.rar?dl=0
    8LN27rC.png
    S4SdmfN.png
  • ScrotieFlapWack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you guys using height maps or is it normal map and AO? The depth on the tiles are amazing!
  • Micaki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Micaki polycounter lvl 3
    I've used height map and normal only, no AO. Other as far as i see use height map too
  • ScrotieFlapWack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Micaki wrote: »
    I've used height map and normal only, no AO. Other as far as i see use height map too

Do you guys use the tessellation shader to preview your height maps? Using the roughness/metallic shader and bumping up the relief slider doesn't work to well for me lol
  • Tzur_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    that's awesome Micaki, all that's missing are some of the bigger concrete splashes/drops between the tiles!
    are you rendering in 4k?
    thanks for the sbs file, I'll sure be checking it out!
  • Micaki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Micaki polycounter lvl 3
    ScrotieFlapWack i'm not sure if that is the problem, but press f9 and choose direct3d engine, and make sure you choosed view output in 3d view
    Tzur_H yes thats 4k(But 2k is not looking much worse), i actually forgot to change size so when you open the file sd will be a little bit laggy. And i know, between tiles i only added some noise so yeah, that space is quite empty :p
  • agentc0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    agentc0re vertex
    I'm new here, so hello everyone. :D
    I've had Substance Designer for quite some time but only recently have I started to learn how to use it in new and interesting ways. I spent about 2 hours on this. It's not too great but hey, it's pretty good for a noob.

BgVBIaC.jpg
  • Artush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Artush polycounter lvl 7
    Hello there! i have to say cool stuff in here ! :O
    i wanted to learn this and this is cool thread for that so :)
    i have tried something and here is result:
    concretetiles_tile_1_by_artush-d92d4zb.png

i wanted to see if it is tileable with no artifacts

concretetiles_tile_5_by_artush-d92d4yy.png
    concretetiles_tile_10_by_artush-d92d4yh.png
    and top:
    concretetiles_tile_top_by_artush-d92d5t7.png

concretetiles_tile_chart_by_artush-d92d63x.png

it was fun to make it! i will try to make another one or tweak this one. :)

//edit:

added some scratches made chink little bit smaller some holes etc..

concretetiles_v2_tile_1_by_artush-d92divp.png
    concretetiles_v2_tile_2_by_artush-d92diua.png

zou can download my messy SBS here :
    http://sta.sh/018525ng5qvh

• Artush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Artush polycounter lvl 7
    Shinigami wrote: »
    just a QQ: How do you guys apply the tileable textures? Is it drag and drop and play around with parameters or do you actually tile them each individually(plane snap each). Or do you just tile them in the UVS.
    Hi i am using view from substance designer materials->default->edit and change tiling. Or in UE4 i just use exported image from SD
  • ScrotieFlapWack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a shot of the progress I am making. I want to try and round off some of the corners of the tiles a little bit but can't think of the best way to do this. I thought may be a transform 2D node may work with a circular shape and use it as a mask but I couldn't get it to work :(

pDmg01v.png

Right now I am using various noise nodes to get the edge wear on the tiles I have a few of them plugged into a multi switch grey scale node which goes into a blur then goes into a slope blur grey scale and both of those setups go into a blend node.
  • roboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roboy polycounter lvl 11
    Some amazing textures going on in here - here's my rendition :D

pc_substance_01.jpg
  • ScrotieFlapWack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is another update on my progress. I am digging deep here to get the best results xD

All normal map and height map, with the roughness map done. I will be working on the base colour next :)

fUgFm6G.png

SD9dZtf.png
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    Here is a shot of the progress I am making. I want to try and round off some of the corners of the tiles a little bit but can't think of the best way to do this. I thought may be a transform 2D node may work with a circular shape and use it as a mask but I couldn't get it to work :(

Try something like this, from Hugo Beyer. Then blend it back in with the original, 90 degree corner tiles with a mask.
  • walklikethis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey

Thought i would join with these challenges as i am learning Substance my self :D

Great work on here already, looking at you Micaki & JonConley and of course Jerc, but you got a head start :P

Here is my attempt. So i did a plain, slightly mossy and then worn down mossy. Not sure if the worn down is a step too far.

C&C are welcome and if anyone wants to know how did something then do ask.

Concrete_Tile_01.jpg

Concrete_Tile_02.jpg

Concrete_Tile_03.jpg

graph:

Concrete_Tile_GRPH.jpg
  • ScrotieFlapWack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is my final render. Thought I would stop now otherwise I would be forever tweaking haha.

eOxvag3.jpg

Looking forward to the next weekly challenge! xD
  • ScrotieFlapWack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey

Thought i would join with these challenges as i am learning Substance my self :D

Great work on here already, looking at you Micaki & JonConley and of course Jerc, but you got a head start :P

Here is my attempt. So i did a plain, slightly mossy and then worn down mossy. Not sure if the worn down is a step too far.

C&C are welcome and if anyone wants to know how did something then do ask.

Concrete_Tile_01.jpg

Concrete_Tile_02.jpg

Concrete_Tile_03.jpg

graph:

Concrete_Tile_GRPH.jpg

This looks incredible! The dirt and cracks are beautiful. I would love to know how you are blending your colours. When I tried to blend mine I was getting horrible results. I couldn't seem to find a way to just mask the grout layer of my Substance and the more blending I did the worse it got lol
  • roboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roboy polycounter lvl 11
    that looks awesome @walklikethis - you should break up the cracks a bit though as they're all connected

put a directional warp and crank it up to give the cracks some variation :D
  • walklikethis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks incredible! The dirt and cracks are beautiful. I would love to know how you are blending your colours. When I tried to blend mine I was getting horrible results. I couldn't seem to find a way to just mask the grout layer of my Substance and the more blending I did the worse it got lol

cheers man!

So when it comes to doing my diffuse i will use some of the noise generators from the noise tab. Sometimes it is worth applying a Histogram Scan to them so you can get rid of the "wishy washy" nature of some of them. I also use a lot of masks from my Normal map. so where i have cracks, i will feed that into the diffuse using a blend. Blend types i regularly used: Blend, Multiply and overlay. Then it is all about layering it up. Takes sometime and can be tricky. My final advice is a weakened overlay of your curvature map. (you can get some in effects, plugs out of your normals) This makes it pop a little bit. Not too much though, it can look cartoony then.

hope that helps dude :D

@roboy

Good spot! I have updated and fixed it :D (ended up doing it with a grunge and blend layer)

Concrete_Tile_04.jpg

Just going back to what i said before, because i was using the masks from my Normal map cracks, the diffuse updated automatically, so the green is still only in the cracks. Very useful

Cheers
  • skusku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Theres so much beauty coming together in this thread. What a time to be alive :D
  • stilobique
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stilobique polycounter lvl 12
    walklikethis > i like your craks !

My test, now adding a moss dirt. Rendering with Marmoset.
    0ddad4b9616668e06da23bb2d21fbfd5.jpg
  • luthyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luthyn polycounter lvl 8
    Been messing with this for an hour or so for the last few nights. Still a WIP, need to tweak some stuff . But this is where I'm at so far. Crits are welcome!

qimSnto.png

Pumped to see so many people taking part in the challenge! :D

Oh, is there a Skype group for this yet?
  • Tejay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tejay polycounter lvl 8
    Anyone looking to join the challenge group add me on skype at :syfer_ and i'll add you
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Awesome work all around :)
  • Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soldeus polycounter lvl 10
    Love this thread! Been trying to learn substance by myself for some weeks, this will definetely help speed up my learning and stop that procrastinating problem!. I'll update soon hopefully.

Cheers~
  • Peter_Chopping_Ears
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude nice I've been needing something like this to bump up that Substance game.

Thanks!
  • Artush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Artush polycounter lvl 7
    @walklikethis: Woaa so cool

tried to make another one

UE4
    3_by_artush-d92i1pf.png
    4_by_artush-d92i1ow.png

SD5
    2_by_artush-d92i1pp.png
    1_by_artush-d92i1q9.png

SBS:
    http://sta.sh/06wfrtvu2c7

• walklikethis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is my final render. Thought I would stop now otherwise I would be forever tweaking haha.

eOxvag3.jpg

Looking forward to the next weekly challenge! xD

qimSnto.png

These are both great starts, i think where you guys are lacking is scale. It's hard to gather what scale the tiles are. The distance between each tile is a good indication. But weather effects, cracks and grime and dirt all help indicate the size, and helps the brain make sense of the image.

Try adding some cracks using this method:

COUAmjG.png
  • roboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roboy polycounter lvl 11
    tweaked it some more! tried to keep it as close as I procedurally (:poly124:) could to the reference - looking forward to the next challenge :D

pc_substance_01_final.jpg
  • walklikethis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roboy wrote: »
    tweaked it some more! tried to keep it as close as I procedurally (:poly124:) could to the reference - looking forward to the next challenge :D

pc_substance_01_final.jpg

Good stuff dude :D
  • ScrotieFlapWack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok I am revisiting mine at some point today. @walklikethis your results are crazy man can't stop looking at it haha. I think the two area's I need to focus on is my blending and understanding masks a little better. Things get completely messy for me when I start blending and using various blend modes and also when I try to do some masks (the grout layer was difficult for me and I still didn't get it right lol)
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    Here is my attempt. I don't understand how people manage to keep their spiderwebs so tidy, mine is a complete mess. I guess tidiness comes with experience :)

substance_weekly_sidewalk.png
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome work in here really inspired me here is mine :) had a lot of fun with it feedback very welcome.

SubstanceChall_1_shot_1.png

SubstanceChall_1_shot_2.png
  • MattyWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattyWS polycounter lvl 11
    Here's mine currently. Unfinished but just the moss needs more work really.

Tilefloor.png
  • Adams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adams polycounter lvl 6
    WOW amazing works, this is a fisrt try with water, I'll try to improve :D
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really nice work you guys. Im gonna spend moore time on next week challenge
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    After seeing MattyWS and his awesome cracks and moss growth I felt like I should add some to mine as well.

sidewalk.png
  • Cr4zy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cr4zy polycounter lvl 2
    Just started messing with SD, found some nice stuff on polycount and then came across this, figured I'd give it a shot! :)

Not a fan of my moss, but I didn't spend much time on it.

GYDlPPK.png
    dWXUGYC.png

Was fun, been ages since I did any texture work at all, but judging by some of the graphs on here, mine is excessively complex!
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Did something very quick:
    SD_Challenge01_BrunoAfonseca.jpg
  • Dave3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave3d polycounter lvl 8
    such an awesome thread Idea thought I would join in here is my attempt:

c6kfH6g.jpg
    JQjXZQA.jpg
  • SecondShadow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love this idea, hope it continues into the future.

Here's my attempt.

Concrete Tiles.jpg

I've seen a few up here that have had much deeper grout lines, mind sharing your secrets?

Also for some reason I can't seem to get my images to display on my posts.
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    @ SecondShadow

For deeper grout lines you can try using subtle displacement or parallax. Also normal strength is set to 1 by default but you can crank that up higher if you'd like.

As for attachments showing, try uploading them to an image host or a website like dropbox and then link it on the forums using the tags.
  • ansh0488
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ansh0488 polycounter lvl 11
    Hello guys,
    Some really nice work going on here. A nice way to learn new tricks. I started with Substance Designer some time back. Still getting a hang of it.

Here goes my attempt.

[IMG][/img]b6mOmCw.jpg
    [IMG][/img]oTFLTmb.jpg
  • luthyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luthyn polycounter lvl 8
    @walklikethis thanks for the feedback! Here is my latest attempt, took your advice and added a bit of moss and cracks. Not perfect but good for now. I also included a video of the controls that come with this one. Not sure if anyone is interested in that kind of thing.

UUFW3bu.png

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJSJdpSkUTs[/ame]

Also, @ansh0488 the leaves on your material are a nice touch :). They seems a bit clean, but there is really solid height separation between the leaves and your concrete. Very cool!