What Anime are you Watching atm?

Replies

• fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Ah shit top of page rant. OK here are my real recommendations:

Gurren Lagann.
    Everybody has probably seen this. If you havn't, check it out! It's wierdly inspiring.

Time of Eve
    In the very near future, androids look indistinguishable from humans. So they are legally required to display a holographic ring above their head. They are perfectly subservient, and work as assistants, nurses, housekeepers, whatever. The show centers around a cafe where the holographic rings denoting who is human or android are hidden. Its a sweet short series on humanity, prejudices, and seeing others complexly.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CrNNs-37As[/ame]
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    fearian wrote: »
    Time of Eve
    ....Its a sweet short series on humanity, prejudices, and seeing others complexly.
    Hehehe, coming from Japan, that's a laugh. But a small sign things are changing gradually.

I have been trying to catch up on what is going on Anime wise, but end up turning off the TV because everything is just kinda the same. I have been watching Youkai Watch at times.
  • valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
    Yokai watch? I saw that online awhile ago, there are some really nice designs in there, honestly the game itself actually looks better than current console's Pokemon.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    fearian wrote: »
    I watched steins gate recently and I was blown away by how thoughtful and melancholic it was. Because when I started it, it played out like a Harem anime for the first few episodes.

When I finished, I looked back at the show and I felt like the writer had been trying to appeal to as broad as an 'anime' audience as possible before bringing them on this deep trip. And to be honest, if you told me it was largely a romantic story, I probably would have passed on it myself.

Steins;Gate is actually an adaptation of one route from the visual novel, which is why there's a slight romance subplot with most of the female (and one dude) cast.
    I would be a much bigger fan of anime if the vast vast majority of it wasn't so damn creepy. I feel bad saying it.
    You just need to find the right anime to watch!
  • sourtalk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was cleaning my cabinet and I found my old cd collection, currently watching Rurouni Kenshin.
  • sourtalk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was cleaning my cabinet and I found my old CD collection, currently watching Rurouni Kenshin.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    pangaea wrote: »
    I sort of agree with Miyazaki. If you watch old anime like Berserk or Evangelion or Legend of the Galatic Heroes, it has some sort of realism. Now new anime has sort of been destroyed by Moe.

Reminds me of old people saying how all the good music was made when they were 20.

Things change, but there's always quality work out there, if you look. I know for me personally, I'll watch a new anime over an old one almost any day. I don't like the art style of most older anime, and the stories aren't usually ones that resonate much with me. Especially all the big ones people name, like Evangelion.

So, it's really all about opinion, and there hasn't been some massive downfall of the art of Anime. There are some anime nowadays that are fantastic and beautiful works of art.

And yes, lots of bad ones too, but that's all opinion, too, and lots of people like those, too.
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    Shame though cause most anime now are romantic comedies targeted towards Otakus.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Most anime, atleast this season is shounen, although we do have Arslan airing, which was written by the same person as legend of the galactic heroes.
  • valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harem based titles are no good at all, full of fan service and made for fellows who hide away. It is solely escapism.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    So I finally decided to take a dive and started watching Hokuto no Ken. I love that old school 80's animation, but damn, the number of episodes scares me.
  • JimmyRustler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JimmyRustler polycounter lvl 8
    I'm not a big fan of anime, but i do read mangas though.
    I dont know why but Japanese VA kinda irked me. That's why i rarely watch anime.

But i do have an anime i absolutely adore, that is Nichijou.
    So weird and over the top, but it was awesome.
    None of my avid anime watcher friends liked it though, but i didn't care.

Lately i've been trying to watch more anime, since i lack on entertainment, and i didn't want to missed on a good story just because i didn't like the medium.
    Lots of my friend recommend me to watch FMA:B and Steins Gate.

Recently finished FMA:B, kinda surprised me how good it is. I thought that 64 episode is too long for my liking, but in the end, i just wanted more.
    Still suffering from post-finale depression, so is it worth it to watch the original anime?

And i'm 6 episode into Steins Gate, but i'm still not hooked into the story. Is it hopeless for me to enjoy it, or does it only get better in the later episodes?
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    FMA: B is a re make of the original FMA, but follows the manga more closely, thus it's deemed the better version. I thought Steins Gate was really good, I think you should continue watching it. :D
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    Odow wrote: »

I know this is last season but if you haven't watch it yet.
    WATCH SHIROBAKO

It is so good, it's an anime about making anime ! But it's really based on how it works, every step of it, every part of it (sound, CG, chara design, production, voice actor, etc) It show how an original anime work and how an adaptation from a manga or a novel works, how they pick voice actors, what they do when they can't meet deadline etc. In my opinion, they're also great advice for junior in there ( even if it's not he exacts same domain, it's similar and their life experience fits really well) It's a really fun anime, there's no drama, the character are great (It's not boring moe even if they look like it), no hero syndrome, there's a lot of Easter egg. I've watch a TONES of anime in the past 15years and this is in my top 10 ever and sadly people who are casual anime's watcher don't know about it. Even if there's no action fighting I NEVER was bored by shirobako and the last episode is one of the best last episode I saw in my life.

It was really good, till they started working on their second project, and introduced the new characters. That shy girl, how the hell did she passed the interview if she can't even speak? Some of the characters are absurd.
    Even if it's entertaining to watch, you're left with nothing in the end. Female characters seems made only to target male audience, they are all cute, nice dressed, very fashionable (they change clothes very frequently), while male characters are all normal and boring people.

The technical aspects are left to your imagination, they show you some seconds of *insert software name here* and don't show you how they are doing the work.

I facepalmed when the sound designer, working in this field for 30 years, was shouting at Miyamori while recording. I know that they want to make the anime funny, but this is so dumb.

In this kind of anime, they seem to resolve every issue with food. The server with all your work melted down? No problem! There were never a moment when you felt that they aren't going to made it.

The girl who was making the character design for their new project; she had to redo it many times that anyone would have punched the original author in the face, with a Kamaz, because he and his manager were busy doing nothing. And how they they got out of this situation? By playing softball! The final nail in the coffin was the explanation of why that girl dresses like a goth lolita, I felt so dumb listening to it.

Well, something else to suggest?
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    SonicBlue wrote: »
    Well, something else to suggest?

Kaiji, Steins;Gate, Madoka, TTGL

The usual suspects.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    If anyone hasn't watched Welcome to the NHK I'd really recommend it. It's a really important anime for me as it's basically about my life. Guy goes to uni, gets stricken with social anxiety and becomes a shut-in. It's about the ruts you can fall into, the obsessions that can occupy your time as a NEET, and the slow and painful struggle back into the real world (and importantly, as a game creator). The ending isn't really cheery either, C'est la vie.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    If anyone hasn't watched Welcome to the NHK I'd really recommend it. It's a really important anime for me as it's basically about my life. Guy goes to uni, gets stricken with social anxiety and becomes a shut-in. It's about the ruts you can fall into, the obsessions that can occupy your time as a NEET, and the slow and painful struggle back into the real world (and importantly, as a game creator). The ending isn't really cheery either, C'est la vie.

I got bored of it like, 9 episodes in, does it pick up later on, or is it a really slow burn?
  • FullSynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FullSynch polycounter lvl 11
    NHK was quite the experience for me, but I couldn't shake this depressing funk in my mind for days after watching it. Had to overwrite it with another anime. :P
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Ryswick wrote: »
    I got bored of it like, 9 episodes in, does it pick up later on, or is it a really slow burn?
    If it hasn't grabbed you 9 episodes in it probably won't ever. It's essentially a slice of life anime, albeit a depressing one.

@FullSynch Yup I know what you mean. I often avoid watching the last episode of anime for a while because just finishing a good anime is kinda depressing. NHK just kinda had me laying in my bed staring at the ceiling for a good while, lol.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Yeah, NHK was good in the way that super depressing movies can be good. I can appreciate the story they told and the idea that sometimes things aren't super happy and we just need to make the best of it, but when my wife and I finished it we had to find something else to watch that was a bit more cheerful
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    Kaiji, Steins;Gate, Madoka, TTGL

The usual suspects.

Already saw them, except Gurren Lagan, since it got licensed and the fan subbers put the links down, I never remembered to check it again.

Kaiji left me not really interested to see the second season, because of what happens in the final episodes
    how he finds that they were cheating, leading him to cut off his own ear, and in the end, while winning, idiotically losing his fingers too because he wanted more, the whole situation portrayed was out of logic, considering that he knows very well how brutal the people he have in front are

Steins;Gate was good, but is not something I want to watch again.

I could also give Madoka another chance, since reading about Nichijou I remembered about the other one, Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou, which I dropped at the first episode the first time I saw it. Now that I rewatched it, it's one of my favourite, but watching children drinking tea and eating cake, is not really my kind of entertainment.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    The same with toradora! I love that anime, it's probably my favourite. But man, the ending. Why did it have to do that to me? It was so bittersweet. It left a bad feeling hanging in me for a while. It's great that media can do that to you though.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue wrote: »
    That shy girl, how the hell did she passed the interview if she can't even speak?
    It's a Japanese thing. Totally possible.
  • FullSynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FullSynch polycounter lvl 11
    The roomy and I are currently watching Hunter x Hunter, what really made it enjoyable was the pacing and fresh take on combat, but it has recently taken a jarring turn for the opposite. Every fraction of a minute is stretched to an episode. Every action warrants an internal monologue from everyone in the room, plus redundant narration.

My question to those who have watched it all:
    This pacing started the moment they began the assault on "The King"s palace, will things pick up after this arc?
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    MA: B is a re make of the original FMA, but follows the manga more closely, thus it's deemed the better version.

The fact that first series doesn't follow the manga plot (which wasn't finished at that point) is precisely why I like it more :poly124:
    Manga became too much like a normal shonen in later chapters.

I liked first anime's explaination of why homunculi exist, it had some interesting consequences. In manga and brotherhood the reason was basically
    "cos bad guy makes them"
    if I remember correctly.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I keep watching Nichijou over and over again.

tumblr_m4l62iijZM1rwh88io1_500.gif
  • JimmyRustler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz wrote: »
    FMA: B is a re make of the original FMA, but follows the manga more closely, thus it's deemed the better version. I thought Steins Gate was really good, I think you should continue watching it. :D

Just finished Steins Gate, and i gotta say it does get better! Took me 10 episode to be interested in the plot though.
    But gotta agree @SonicBlue. Can't watch through them again. Once is enough for me.

About the original FMA, the differences on the manga is what makes me interested to check it out. But is the plot differ enough to be enjoyed as another story?

@blazed
    Agree on Naruto. Was a fan back then. Bought the mangas up until 40 volume before i lost my interest. Still love the pre-shippuden story though, it was awesome.

@Emar
    Nichijou is the shit! It's #1 anime for me.
    Such a shame it didn't do well though. Would love to see another season.
    The animation so over the top, but fit well enough with the randomly crazy story.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Nichijou is the shit! It's #1 anime for me.
    Such a shame it didn't do well though. Would love to see another season.
    The animation so over the top, but fit well enough with the randomly crazy story.

I'd love another season as well. The manga has some extra stuff that didn't get used in the anime BTW. At least make sure to check out the last episode(#172) of the manga if you haven't yet :)
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    About the original FMA, the differences on the manga is what makes me interested to check it out. But is the plot differ enough to be enjoyed as another story?
    It is definitely worth checking out, most people say that Brotherhood is better but the original was a better story in my opinion. There's also a FMA movie, Conqueror of Shamballa, that takes place after the ending of the original FMA and ends the story arc of the original.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Jojo is the only one I'm actively following.

Other than that I'm rewatching Hellsing OVA and Berserk (both new movies and old anime)

I wan't more Berserk. I wan't Berserk with the unapologetic and depressing content of the movies but animated in the way of the old anime, and with less content cut. I would pay for it forever.

Other than that nothing is really interesting.
  • .nL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .nL polycounter lvl 3
    I've never really liked anime. Haven't really come across a show to change my mind. There are some good ideas out there, but the elements in the genre that make it what it is just aren't for me (for me personally, anime's tend to feel somewhat creepy, and like they're actively fighting my suspension of disbelief).

That said, Ghost In the Shell: Stand Alone Complex has really grabbed my attention recently. It's an absolutely brilliant show, and I've been binging on it all week.
  • valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just started watching Kekkai Sensen, that's honestly what I like to see, a series that is rather odd locals, strange abilities, and no fan service.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    What kind of anime would you recommend for someone who likes decent characters and writing and is irritated by a lot of the tropes, gratuitous sexism, ugly character design, visual shorthand and cheap, stlited animation that crops up in a lot of them?

I remember quite enjoying Ghost in the Shell: Stand Along Complex and Cowboy Bebop back in the day.
  • valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How about Kaiba, Lupin, Kemononezume, Detective Konan, space dandy (some episodes have fanservice, but each episode has a different director), anything by Satoshi Kon, and the series I mentioned in the previous post.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Are the Lupin series much like Castle of Kagliostro? That was a lot of fun.
  • valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Depends, there were many series most of them were pretty much like that albeit the 2012 incarnation was a tad more serious than the rest. Also there are at least 20 Lupin movies, they are all worth watching from what I have seen.
  • JimmyRustler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just finished Code Geass R1 (got lots of free time this week).
    It was good, and one particular scene will be forever burned in my mind.
    I actually got spoiled, but man, the way it was played out is way off than i expected. shiver

Started out hating everything in it (character design was an eww for me), but in the end i'm loving it.
    Can't start on R2 though. Need to get my shit together for next week.

Huh, i used to hate lots of anime tropes, but in the end, if the story is awesome, i didn't mind it.
    I'll be sure to check G.I.T.S, Berserk, Monster, and Cowboy Bebop next time. Seems right up my alley.

I wish they made Vagabond into anime.
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Code geass is good indeed....just don't skip R2.....some parts in the middle are a bit less good, but ending is one of the better ones i've seen.....
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    I forgot to mention one my wife and I really enjoyed. "Natsume's Book of Friends" I think there are three seasons out now with an OAV in the future. I'd be curious to know if there is any more planned though. It's on Hulu and Crunchyroll as far as I know.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll be sure to check G.I.T.S, Berserk, Monster, and Cowboy Bebop next time. Seems right up my alley.
    GITS and Bebop get constant play from me. Also FLCL and Samurai Champloo.

I tried to get into Naruto, Attack on Titan, Full Metal and a few others, but these multi book go on forever, multi-arc, miss a few and you're screwed anime don't jive with my lifestyle.
  • JimmyRustler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont wrote: »
    GITS and Bebop get constant play from me. Also FLCL and Samurai Champloo.

I tried to get into Naruto, Attack on Titan, Full Metal and a few others, but these multi book go on forever, multi-arc, miss a few and you're screwed anime don't jive with my lifestyle.

I liked ATLA/TLOK, and Bryan himself recommend FLCL. Samurai Champloo looks fun.
    Both of them is pretty short, so definitely going to check them out.

Got to agree on multi-arc animes. Lots of them played out way to long and seems to lost its charm.
    Started out enjoying Naruto and One Piece, and now i couldn't care less about its character.
    Fullmetal doesn't have that may arc, although i only saw the Brotherhood version.

@Zocky
    I'm going to. R1 didn't give that much closure.
  • DeviatePanda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeviatePanda polycounter lvl 5
    Eagerly awaiting for Durarara to pick up again, and I'm also watching
    Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Food Wars!, and thanks to a gif I saw earlier in the thread, SHIROBAKO.

Also, if we for some reason have people that don't know what Berserk is, stop what you're doing, and go watch/read Berserk.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    FullSynch wrote: »
    The roomy and I are currently watching Hunter x Hunter, what really made it enjoyable was the pacing and fresh take on combat, but it has recently taken a jarring turn for the opposite. Every fraction of a minute is stretched to an episode. Every action warrants an internal monologue from everyone in the room, plus redundant narration.

My question to those who have watched it all:
    This pacing started the moment they began the assault on "The King"s palace, will things pick up after this arc?

Near the end of the arc things start to pick up again, and the next arc is kinda interesting. The problem is that they adapted it pretty much 1:1 from the manga, where the narration was kind of necessary. What they should've done is done more showing and less telling. Again, it fixes itself near the end of the arc (and the payoff is great).
    .nL wrote: »
    I've never really liked anime. Haven't really come across a show to change my mind. There are some good ideas out there, but the elements in the genre that make it what it is just aren't for me (for me personally, anime's tend to feel somewhat creepy, and like they're actively fighting my suspension of disbelief).

That said, Ghost In the Shell: Stand Alone Complex has really grabbed my attention recently. It's an absolutely brilliant show, and I've been binging on it all week.

Anime isn't a genre, but you should definitely check out the 1995 Ghost in the Shell Movie.

blazed wrote: »
    I too found the original FMA better, I just thought it was way more darker, and sad, also scar was much more of a badass, the newer one was more like meh standard anime seen before kind of thing.

Are you talking about the new one from 2011? I've seen the original one from 1999 and all the ova's of that series, didn't notice a pacing issue it was great from start to finish, although I liked it more before where most the series they didn't have insane powerups.

These days I don't really like anime much, think I might have outgrown it or something, last series I watched was Deathnote when it first came out (besides the new FMA, brotherhood).

I've read the rest of the Naruto manga and this just my opinion but what I liked back in 2003 as teens basically doing a battle royale, turned into utter farce of crap.

Is Attack on Titan any good, I mean for an older adult?

I think the overall tone and music from the original FMA series was better, but there were major plot points that were just glossed over.
    (Hoeinheim showing up for like what 5 minutes and doing nothing, sloth being some sort of water creature, Nazi ending?

I felt FMA:B handled those things better, but you definitely need to see both to get the full experience, I mean FMA:B skips some pretty important episodes in the beginning before the story diverges.

Attack on Titan is pretty good action show, but its a shounen like most popular anime (demographic 13-18 males) and falls to the same faults. It does however have a really strong first episode and is worth checking out.

It really depends what you're into, for example Mushishi is great if you're into a slower paced anime. I'd recommend the usual suspects, Cowboy bebop, samurai champloo, most ghibli things (princess mononoke), Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team, Ghost in the Shell, Monster, Steins;Gate, TTGL, Kaiji.

Hunter X Hunter is also really good but you need to stick with it, as mentioned above it has some really really painfully slow moments.
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    Not sure if this has been mentioned but Kill-la-Kill is pretty awesome!! If your into crazy zany action with bewbs!!

latest?cb=20140607114428&path-prefix=protagonist
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I watched the first ep of Kill la Kill... no. Feels bottom of the barrel to me.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Lamont wrote: »
    I watched the first ep of Kill la Kill... no. Feels bottom of the barrel to me.

It's by the director of TTGL (you know, the one where the giant robot throws entire galaxies). It's meant to be over-the-top in every way, including the hyper-sexualisation. Much in the way of ME!ME!ME!, it could be seen as making a comment on the current trends in anime. Take it with a light hearted attitude and a pinch of salt.

ME!ME!ME! For anyone who hasn't seen it. This is one of the pieces that came out of the japanese animator's expo. It's usually interpreted as their comment on current trends in anime, and the effect it's having on people and their relationship with the real world.

https://vimeo.com/113091250 [NSFW]
  • .nL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .nL polycounter lvl 3
    Anime isn't a genre, but you should definitely check out the 1995 Ghost in the Shell Movie.

True, that's my bad. I'm not sure how to quantify it though, if not as a genre. I believe that the term 'anime' has somewhat transcended its definition as being animation hailing from japan, at least in practical conversation. So it could be an aesthetic?

Definitely. I've checked out the remaster, which was pretty good. But I think I'd enjoy it more with the original animation.
  • Higuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    I just watched Cowboy Bebop for the very first time.

Brilliant.
  • Meteora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meteora polycounter lvl 8
    Baccano!
    No Game, No Life
    Fate/stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works (aka Unlimited Budget Works)
    Shokugeki no Souma
    Ninja Slayer From Animation
    Plastic Memories
    DanMachi
    Oregairu