Home General Discussion

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Replies

• notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    notman said:
    Well, keep in mind, Sunday was also Easter. I don't know the history of movies, on Easter, but this might not be the kind of movie christian families were looking for, on Easter.

Maybe it blew its wad on Friday, and it just didn't get the repeat viewings. Obviously the internet popularity to hate on the movie, is strong with this too.

I think a better telling sign, is how it does this weekend.
    It is rated PG-13, not R, so I don't think that there is going to be that much of a reaction from religion. If there is any influence from that quarter, it would be from people associating it with not being a family film. That's on the tone of the movie.
    That's really my point, it's not a family film. It doesn't have to be rated R for religious people to avoid it, on a christian holiday. Not to mention, many would be doing church activities.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    notman said:
    That's really my point, it's not a family film. It doesn't have to be rated R for religious people to avoid it, on a christian holiday. Not to mention, many would be doing church activities.
    Church activities for most people on Easter Sunday simply involves attending morning services. The rest of the day is usually spent just being with your family. That is why the family aspect is more important than any religious factor. There are plenty of families that go to the movies on holidays. Christmas is actually notorious for being one of the busiest days of the year for movie theaters. And the typical Easter celebration for most families leaves plenty of time open in the afternoon to go and see a movie together.

The significant difference here is that Batman v Superman is a dour, drab film with very little in the way of fun or hope. That is what makes it an innapropriate film for a family to watch. The average family just isn't going to be entertained by a movie like this. After the word of mouth and reviews got around, a lot of families that might have considered going out on Easter either decided to stay in, or to watch something else.

I seriously doubt that the holiday itself had a negative effect on the film's performance. It is almost certainly due to the film's tone being woefully innapropriate for families. That's a decision that the film makers will just have to deal with.
  • Darth Tomi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darth Tomi polycounter lvl 12
    A nerd movie made by a frat boy.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    A nerd movie made by a frat boy.
    Ha thats pretty good lol
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I don't think it's really accurate though. Snyder is, if nothing else, evidently a man with a taste for things nerdy.

I think this is the sort of movie that caters to what comic/videogame fans often think that they want - the darker, grittier take on the characters that they enjoyed when they were younger. Sometimes it works. Most of the time you just wind up with Shadow the Hedgehog.
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtisticTiger polycounter lvl 5
    Yesss! The ultimate cut is coming and it looks great https://youtu.be/8AO19XY2rqc