Home Technical Talk

MODO 901 Features Sneak Peak

Replies

• Count Vertsalot
    WarrenM wrote: »
    Is ... that a positive thing?

It can be. Modo has bugs that never get fixed. If they're checking the forums and fixing tiny annoy crap daily I'd be all for it.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 3
    Is ... that a positive thing?
    Yup. Example. After H14 release I found a bug that crashed Houdini. Checked on forum to make sure that I'm not the only one that have it. After that I logged the bug on their system. Two weeks latter it was patched.

You don't want to have crashing software for 6 months just because you didn't bought extended support.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Except when something you rely on breaks in the patch and you can't roll back a version?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 3
    You can have many builds installed.

BTW. This is not Autodesk software where when you patch one half, second fucks up.
  • MDiamond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MDiamond polycounter lvl 10
    f1b4ad76cb.jpg

DONOTWANT!.jpeg
  • Thane-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thane- polycounter lvl 3
    What if adobe bought it and upgraded the hotkey settings, the adobe way, to be familiar to Photoshop users!

I've never used Modo though, maybe it is just as hand stretching and arm exercise inducing as photoshop already...
  • Ghostboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does anyone know the cheapest place to buy Modo 801 through paypal right now? I've seen CGRiver but the 20% is no longer valid. Thanks!
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Ghostboy wrote: »
    Does anyone know the cheapest place to buy Modo 801 through paypal right now? I've seen CGRiver but the 20% is no longer valid. Thanks!

The Foundry probably wont let anyone undercut them prior to the release of 901, so I doubt you will find a 20% off anymore unless theres some crossgrade offer floating around. I havent found it yet for Modo.

You can get 801 now for $1495 before the price hike, this will give you 901 when it comes out...

Or just grab Modo Indie for $299 (or $10 a month), which is based on the 801 SP3 version... (SP4 Indie is just finishing up with the testing phase, should roll out soon).

Then once you have Indie, you can hold off until theres a holiday sale and try to upgrade or buy the full version for much cheaper. The last big holiday sale had Modo at 45% off for full licenses.

The safest bet though is just to get 801 now at $1495 while its still offered at that price. Indie is extremely capable as well if you dont need to be exporting massive 100k+ meshes.
  • Ghostboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice Dataday - I've already got Modo Indie with the monthly subscription. There is a few things that bother me such as the lack of scripting and I doubt they will be focusing on 901 Indie for the foreseeable. I also really want to check out all the new stuff with 901 and Mesh Fusion so I think I may as well bite the bullet and get 801 now.
  • Count Vertsalot
    You only have 3-4 weeks to decide if they're sticking to their original estimated release date for 901.

This Adobe thing is fake btw. One of The Foundry execs said so today on the Modo forum.
  • Quotidian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quotidian polycounter lvl 2
    anyone formed an opinion of meshfusion now that 901 has been out for a tiny bit?

It's basically just as quirky and difficult to use as before, imo. It doesn't really fit into a sub d modeling workflow and it's not anywhere near the "holy grail" the developers are profiling it as. Or maybe I just don't get it.
  • Tzur_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    I'm very pleased with it. And the fact that it's non destructive makes it even better.

Took me ~10 minutes to get this:
    mXG7SLf.jpg

Brought it into Zbrush, DynaMesh it and polish to soften the edges - maybe this can even be done in MODO?
    GQJdWle.jpg

And because I got all of the 'Lego' pieces for it in MODO it was also very fast and easy to get the low poly, just cuts and tweaks.
    cvkcvkK.jpg

With normals (after a very quick detail pass in ZBrush):
    cZ0apX3.png

Just under an hour to get it done with all the bakes, ready to be textured. I think it's pretty fast, and I just started playing with it!
  • MDiamond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MDiamond polycounter lvl 10
    Quotidian wrote: »
    It's basically just as quirky and difficult to use as before, imo. It doesn't really fit into a sub d modeling workflow and it's not anywhere near the "holy grail" the developers are profiling it as. Or maybe I just don't get it.

Not true. I've been using it since its early days in 701 and is a fantastic tool for prototyping hard surface shapes and details quickly. Tor Frick also combines it with the rounded edge shader to get normal maps to low poly geometry really fast.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, don't listen to the marketing department. Of course they're going to tell you MeshFusion is the second coming.

It's a good prototype tool and I HAVE used it on a few production meshes where I needed to smash organic shapes together and get nice looking transitions for minimal work. But, yeah, it's not a replacement for subd or booleans/rounded-edge-shader. It's not there yet.

It just gets too slow, too quickly. It adds up QUICK.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it's real intention is for quick prototyping and for creating watertight meshes for 3D printing where the subd modeling gymnastics required would be ridiculous.

I am really hoping they can get the same thing working for standard meshes.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If they can get it working with edge weights, I'll get excited.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, that would rock.
  • Quotidian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quotidian polycounter lvl 2
    Well, don't listen to the marketing department. Of course they're going to tell you MeshFusion is the second coming.

Well, what the foundry themselves are saying, even though it's layered in spin and hype, still tells you something about what they want MF to do. And it still falls a fair bit short of that.

Imo, it's only really good at making small details or whatever for normal maps, where you only do a couple boolean operations and the topology of the mesh doesn't matter that much. As soon as you have to start adding branches etc to the tree, it just falls apart/gets too heavy